Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:56 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
For the skeptics among us, here's how it works:

Phone rings: "Hello, we're trying to locate Jim Johnson". "Yes, I'm Jim Johnson."

"Mr Johnson, did you attempted to get a quote from our website for auto insurance?"

"Yes, I did."

"Mr Johnson, I'm from State Farm. There was a system error when you were using the website and we've been hired to help you get a proper quote."

> dummy mode on < "Ok, what do I need to do?"
See how that works?

Phishing is phishing, whether its about the Affordable Care Act, auto insurance, or office supplies.

This trick isn't even new...when I worked for a corporation back in the 1980's with the job of purchasing office supplies, scammers were constantly trying to ship copier supplies to my unsuspecting co-workers in other branches of the company, then sending me invoices to pay for these substandard and unpurchased products that we had received.

But according to the conservative propaganda machine, such fraud is new and unique and only happening because Obamacare is being implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 06:10 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
Is this the same asshat who is under investigation in Beleze for murder?

Old 10-12-2013, 07:35 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Is this the same asshat who is under investigation in Beleze for murder?
Yes, I posted a link to a really fun article about it upthread.

He's clearly mentally incompetent. No wonder the OP is quoting him as a credible source.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:47 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
What's new here? Any website can be spoofed. Even before Obamacare someone could set up an insurance broker type website like ehealthinsurance.com and collect SSN and birth dates.

The difference is that you can sue ehealthinsurance if they compromise your identity. What is your recourse if the government is involved?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:04 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The original post showed a video from Fox News. I didn't bring Fox to the party, it's throwing the party.

If Fox News wanted to be responsible, they would have also provided information about how their viewers could avoid such scams, but that's not what Fox does.

Fox News isn't about being a news organization. Fox is about scaring and confusing their gullible viewers to advance their conservative agenda.

I'm not going to respond to the remainder of your post. I read through it in it's entirety and saw it as an unsubstantiated claim to authority and a deliberate attempt to muddle the issue.
Wow, what a stupid bunch of dishonest tripe.

Fox News is reporting what someone said. It is NOT their job to then attempt to educate the public on how not to get scammed. It's the PUBLIC's job. YOU did not say that ANY other news source reported on it, and CERTAINLY did not report that MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, etc, reported it AND provided a comprehensive education on prevention.

Nope, you just made up an expedient argument to attack something you were motivated to attack, but had not the slightest actual reasoning for.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:05 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
See how that works?

Phishing is phishing, whether its about the Affordable Care Act, auto insurance, or office supplies.

This trick isn't even new...when I worked for a corporation back in the 1980's with the job of purchasing office supplies, scammers were constantly trying to ship copier supplies to my unsuspecting co-workers in other branches of the company, then sending me invoices to pay for these substandard and unpurchased products that we had received.

But according to the conservative propaganda machine, such fraud is new and unique and only happening because Obamacare is being implemented.
Yes, I see how it works. You do your utmost to ignore reality.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Yes, I posted a link to a really fun article about it upthread.

He's clearly mentally incompetent. No wonder the OP is quoting him as a credible source.
Again, just because he's a dingbat, doesn't make the comment any less credible. People are still responding to, "Hi I am a Prince in Nigeria trying to escape with billions of dollars. If you help me move it out of Nigeria, I will give you some of it".

You don't think that a phishing/Scam site, or someone calling them up promising obamabux and reduced cost insurance, won't get all their information?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Wow, what a stupid bunch of dishonest tripe.

Fox News is reporting what someone said. It is NOT their job to then attempt to educate the public on how not to get scammed.
Have you never heard of Edward R Murrow?

"This instrument [television] can teach, it can illuminate - and yes, it can even inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it towards those ends. Otherwise, it is merely wires and lights in a box. Good night, and good luck."

Quote:
It's the PUBLIC's job. YOU did not say that ANY other news source reported on it, and CERTAINLY did not report that MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, etc, reported it AND provided a comprehensive education on prevention.
Ignoring your refuted claim that the information on television news shows are to be blindly consumed 'caveat emptor', let me once again point out that this entire thread was started by a Fox News clip that was designed to confuse, befuddle and anger it's viewers about the Affordable Care Act. It's blatant propaganda - don't be angry when it's pointed out as such.

Quote:
Nope, you just made up an expedient argument to attack something you were motivated to attack, but had not the slightest actual reasoning for.
Hardly.

Go back to your conservative puppet masters and tell them that some aren't buying the propaganda.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, I see how it works. You do your utmost to ignore reality.
Missed my point entirely, I see.

Go back to your puppet masters. You're out of your league here.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The term is spoofed but the point is where is directory for me to go look if the site I'm going to is legitimate?

For example I get an email with link to update my info where is it on Healthcare.gov I can go to click a link to insure I'm going to the right site?
If you click on links on emails, then you have only yourself to blame. NEVER click on links on emails. ALWAYS go directly to the site, and McAfee (he should know) and Norton, will tell you if the site is legit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies