Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
So am I. Most reasonable people are.

Alas, the right-wingers oppose adding government jobs.
Isn't that sorta like a jobs bill?

Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
Yup.

OBAMA'S JOBS BILL DILEMMA: Republicans Want The Benefits, But Oppose The Taxes Increases To Pay For Them - Business Insider

Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Gee, the ones able to work could always be put to work doing all those" jobs Americans won't do" and maybe that would even shut out the illegals.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:23 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Gee, the ones able to work could always be put to work doing all those" jobs Americans won't do" and maybe that would even shut out the illegals.
What difference would that make in this context? Those jobs don't pay enough for people to pay their own way, so surely don't pay enough to save substantially for retirement.

There are myriad resources - I provided one earlier - but here's another one:

Basic family budgets: Working families

Table 1 is one of the clearer demonstrations:

Old 10-25-2013, 03:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
What I find interesting about this entire thread is that the OP was asking about someone who "cheated" the system, not someone who was either always poor or had other hardships happen to them.
My point as well. We've muddied the discussion bringing in commentary about any senior on hard times (or maybe the OP wasn't clear on cheating vs. not).

Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
As for the question which constitutes the thread title ("What happens when you're too old and have no $?"), the correct answer just occurred to me: You send a DM to either bUU or to Fran66 or to both explaining your situation and they will help you, knowing as they do that there is a "moral obligation" to do so! Certainly they would not renege on their "moral obligation" which they have been at great pains to explain to the rest of us unenlightened ones.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:30 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,800 times
No, that's the situation. You're nothing but trouble.

But here. Put every able-bodied adult on welfare to work in public improvement jobs commensurate with their abilities half day and have them receive education according to their needs the other half so they can earn their own way to paying jobs during and following their welfare time.

Of course, nothing like that would ever do because the unions wouldn't permit it and sympathetic politicians (those who are in thrall to those unions) would legislate against it.

What's your solution? Almost 30 posts in this thread and you've recommended nothing, added nothing and simply argued, accused, demeaned, etc.

What's your idea, Einstein. Now no deflection, no evasion, no insults, just concrete ideas and be specific!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Alas, the right-wingers oppose adding government jobs.
And so do more and more left-wingers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/blogsandcolumns/healthcaregov-doesnt-help-obamas-argument-for-greater-government/2013/10/26/6259aafa-3e44-11e3-b0e7-716179a2c2c7_story.html?wprss=rss_politics

Having seen some of the over-reaching by government which is often, if not usually, ill-suited to take-on problems in the "civilian" job market I have my doubts that it can solve existing problem on a large scale. The dilemma appears to be that government solutions won't likely work well, if at all, and at the same time the private sector is too focused on squeezing out every last drop of profit, even to the detriment of its workers, to care.

Before anyone on either side of the divide jumps, I'm musing in general, not specifically so please un-bunch them before you respond, if at all.

Last edited by Ghostly1; 10-27-2013 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Liberals don't focus on adding government jobs but don't oppose it, and indeed support it, as a matter of party platform perspective.
Quote:
We still have work to do, but Democrats are moving forward with a “Made in America” economic plan to strengthen American industries and create jobs for American workers by:
Ending tax loopholes that let corporations hide profits overseas, and investing those dollars in small businesses that create jobs in America;
Providing tax cuts to small businesses and expanding lending so that businesses can create new jobs;
Investing in a clean-energy economy, and providing tax credits to spark manufacturing of windmills, solar panels, and electric cars here at home; and
Putting Americans to work rebuilding roads, bridges, rails, and ports, strengthening our economy and our infrastructure across all 50 states.
Democrats stand for the values of hard work and responsibility, and we know that as a country we are most successful when we invest in our people—middle-class families and small business owners—who can grow our economy from the bottom up. Together, we have begun to lay a new foundation for growth, building an economy that works for all Americans.
http://www.democrats.org/issues/econ..._creation#more

Quote:
Before anyone on either side of the divide jumps, I'm musing in general, not specifically so please un-bunch them before you respond, if at all.
You do realize, or at least should, that it is silly to put in pointlessly self-serving disclaimers as an attempt to preempt people responding to what you implied or attempted to project, even if not explicitly writing it, in your own posting.

Last edited by bUU; 10-27-2013 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/blogsandcolumns/healthcaregov-doesnt-help-obamas-argument-for-greater-government/2013/10/26/6259aafa-3e44-11e3-b0e7-716179a2c2c7_story.html?wprss=rss_politics

Having seen some of the over-reaching by government which is often, if not usually, ill-suited to take-on problems in the "civilian" job market I have my doubts that it can solve existing problem on a large scale. The dilemma appears to be that government solutions won't likely work well, if at all, and at the same time the private sector is too focused on squeezing out every last drop of profit, even to the detriment of its workers, to care.

Your observations tend to be centrist and in this era many aren't seeking a middle ground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies