Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You do realize, or at least should, that it is silly to put in pointlessly self-serving disclaimers as an attempt to preempt people responding to what you implied or attempted to project, even if not explicitly writing it, in your own posting.
You do realize, or at least should, that your personal nastiness toward poster Ghostly1 has little to do with the thread topic.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:45 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Your observations tend to be centrist and in this era many aren't seeking a middle ground
And more's the pity. Moderation would be a welcome change from the bombastic excesses on both sides of the aisle. Why, some good things like cooperation, moving forward, responsibility, good of the country might even come of it. Imagine that! It could be a real boon for seniors, especially those in need, since some reasonable accommodations and protections might result.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
And more's the pity. Moderation would be a welcome change from the bombastic excesses on both sides of the aisle. Why, some good things like cooperation, moving forward, responsibility, good of the country might even come of it. Imagine that! It could be a real boon for seniors, especially those in need, since some reasonable accommodations and protections might result.
There are real issues that don't get discussed until poop hits the fan like now with ACA. There are some real serious challenges to seniors well being that isn't yet on most folks radar screen. In keeping with this thread how will the ACA impact social service/Medicaid services for poor seniors as their needs compete with the expanded role of Medicaid.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There are real issues that don't get discussed until poop hits the fan like now with ACA. There are some real serious challenges to seniors well being that isn't yet on most folks radar screen. In keeping with this thread how will the ACA impact social service/Medicaid services for poor seniors as their needs compete with the expanded role of Medicaid.

No telling! Not all states have expanded Medicaid as originally anticipated in the ACA. If ever there was a governmental program initiated while tons of questions remained unanswered as well as unknown, this, unfortunately, seems to be it. The country's first clue should have been the pronouncement that Congress had to pass it in order to know what was in it. Without taking sides, the best I can do is sit back and wait. If it works in the end, so much the better. If it's premises are unrealistic and impossible, perhaps it can be fixed. But my/our concern is for children and grandchildren who will have to deal with it as it is now. As for seniors who don't qualify for Medicare, the uncertainty must be scary.

Last edited by Ghostly1; 10-27-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 11:12 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Then there's my cousin who never paid into SS, has no savings, pension, husband, kids, and who worked ''under the table'' all her life. When she can no longer bring in money she will be SOL.
She's probably one of the Obama supporters screaming pay your fair share.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
Just wondering what happens to an elderly person or couple who have no savings and don't receive enough in social security and other payouts to support themselves. If they don't want to receive assistance from family members or have no family, would the government leave them to become homeless on the streets or in homeless shelters?
I would say that THEY left themselves to become homeless.

If I had the money, and they were nice people, I would help them out.

I certainly don't want the government looting MY responsible behavior to give to them.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:18 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times
I prepare me and mine for old age.

The rest are not my problem.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I prepare me and mine for old age.

The rest are not my problem.
Ahhhh, caveman/Neanderthal mentality. LOL Seems to me that having a large number of poverty-stricken elderly living under bridges, etc., and dying in the streets would have an impact on my community and therefore my happiness.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
No telling! Not all states have expanded Medicaid as originally anticipated in the ACA. If ever there was a governmental program initiated while tons of questions remained unanswered as well as unknown, this, unfortunately, seems to be it. The country's first clue should have been the pronouncement that Congress had to pass it in order to know what was in it. Without taking sides, the best I can do is sit back and wait. If it works in the end, so much the better. If it's premises are unrealistic and impossible, perhaps it can be fixed. But my/our concern is for children and grandchildren who will have to deal with it as it is now. As for seniors who don't qualify for Medicare, the uncertainty must be scary.
There are seniors who don't qualify for Medicare? What is necessary to qualify?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
There are seniors who don't qualify for Medicare? What is necessary to qualify?
It requires participation (paying) in Social Security for 40 quarters (10 years) or at least 10 years of marriage to someone who did. That doesn't include everyone such as some teachers, many in law enforcement, a lot of federal employees, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies