Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Medicare is not welfare. There is no such thing as "welfare" that so many people could get so easily years ago. There is now Aid to Dependent Children, and SSI (supplements to Social Security for the elderly). Many low income people have many kids in order to get the ADC for each one.
They're fools if they do. The maximum number of years total, in an entire lifetime, a mother can get AFDC/TANF benefits is 5 years. Most are sanctioned off before then for not meeting requirements like looking for work.

Those mothers that are simply unable to secure employment often get diagnosed as disabled and unable to work due to their disability and get on SSI benefits for financial support.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Quote:
Not a bad retirement plan. Many prisoners live much higher off the hog than many seniors.
That's my plan!

I'm gonna have fun in the State Pen! Wanna meet a lot of new friends!

I also plan on routinely dropping the soap in the shower room!

"Oops! Look, guys! I dropped the soap. It's on the floor. I'm bending over to pick it up now. Uhhh ... didn't anyone hear me??? I said I DROPPED THE SOAP!!! Look - I'm bending over to pick up the soap !!! What's the matter? Wait ... where is everyone going??? Why is everyone leaving????"

Old 10-12-2013, 08:06 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
Quote:
Many low income people have many kids in order to get the ADC for each one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Really? I spent a lot of time conducting outreach at DSS centers and I never met one parent who added children to get additional income. (Indeed, TANF used to be time restricted. Has this changed in the past 10 years?) I'll admit a lot of the recipients weren't especially bright, but having additional kids to get a little more income? Nope.

So, do you have any legitimate links to support your assertion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They're fools if they do. The maximum number of years total, in an entire lifetime, a mother can get AFDC/TANF benefits is 5 years. Most are sanctioned off before then for not meeting requirements like looking for work.

Those mothers that are simply unable to secure employment often get diagnosed as disabled and unable to work due to their disability and get on SSI benefits for financial support.
Isn't that business about having kids to get welfare for them something that used to be true quite a few years ago before certain welfare reforms were enacted in most states? I know Governor Reagan in California pushed through certain welfare reforms during his tenure, but that was a long time ago. Perhaps NewEnglandGirl is simply carrying around an obsolete notion in her head? (But one that used to be correct)?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:20 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
Just wondering what happens to an elderly person or couple who have no savings and don't receive enough in social security and other payouts to support themselves. If they don't want to receive assistance from family members or have no family, would the government leave them to become homeless on the streets or in homeless shelters?

I'm not saying anyone deserves to be homeless...but SHOULD the govt be responsible for every person who finds themselves without enough money? I realize there are some that just never get their heads above water, but what about the many that make poor decisions...we should help them live comfortably because they blew their money on XYZ?

SS was really meant to help supplement pension plans back when it was initiated - not meant to be a livable income for a retired person. Honestly I'm counting on not having any SS available by the time I need/want to retire. And retirement these days is more of a 'retire' from your full time job and find something part time that maybe is more flexible or enjoyable to supplement your savings. So, because I'm working my tail off now, making informed financial decisions so that I can support myself later in life, is it really fair that those who fritter away their money now get assistance from the government? What incentive does that give them to make an effort?

And as far as everyone deserving decent living and 'free' healthcare and schooling....nothing is free. It is paid for one way or another. Has it worked for some European countries? Yep. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will work here. Size/population is a huge variable. The US is large...and a great number of people want to move here. People aren't flocking to the Netherlands. It's not a clear cut yes or no decision.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:41 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1
There's the answer then. Commit three felonies and get free room and board, medical, gym membership, cable, etc., for the rest of your life on the taxpayer's nickel. You don't have to wait until old age to retire on this plan.
Not a bad retirement plan. Many prisoners live much higher off the hog than many seniors.
Plan won't work in California. The gov has been ordered by the courts to release thousands of prisoners back onto the streets, and he has. (Too overcrowded, and the legislature won't build more prisons even though voter approved bonds have been authorized to be sold.) The crime rate has started to go back up. No surprise there. One more reason to bail from the state.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
That's my plan!

I'm gonna have fun in the State Pen! Wanna meet a lot of new friends!

I also plan on routinely dropping the soap in the shower room!

"Oops! Look, guys! I dropped the soap. It's on the floor. I'm bending over to pick it up now. Uhhh ... didn't anyone hear me??? I said I DROPPED THE SOAP!!! Look - I'm bending over to pick up the soap !!! What's the matter? Wait ... where is everyone going??? Why is everyone leaving????"

Rejected in the prison shower! Now that's SAD.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:31 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
First, a long time ago I did know a woman who had another child to continue getting welfare. I met her and also there was an article in the paper about her. She said the welfare was like her "husband." Other women got to stay home and take care of their kids because they had husbands. This was an educated person and I didn't agree with her but her kids were extremely well behaved and in every other way she seemed to be a decent person.

Secondly, a person who ends up with no money will not live well, as someone said. They will scrape miserably by. Maybe they did make "poor decisions" and maybe there was something the matter with them. Maybe they had a mental problem--who knows? But the resentment on here from some people just because of keeping a person in some lowly shelter with food.

Thirdly------- Forget prison. I always liked that version of retirement where you just lived on the Queen Mary for the rest of your life. I think somebody finally showed that it really wouldn't work but it sure sounds good to me. Meals, room, salt air, different ports of call, swimming pools, movies, library, new people to meet, and medical if you needed it. Not bad at all.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:26 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Is the thread title about you're as in you are broke or about other people being broke. Seems like we are answering what to do about some one else. If i became broke I would have to survive on the services available both federal, local and state. Hopefully the Rescue Mission will remember our good times contributions and move us up on the list.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:00 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
...since ALFs already provide for the indigent whether they have SS checks to contribute or not.
I think the poster is referring to SNF, not assisted living. Assisted living is out of pocket, not Medicare/Medicaid. Most people who are living very poorly do not qualify for skilled nursing facilities and don't need them.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:52 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think the poster is referring to SNF, not assisted living. Assisted living is out of pocket, not Medicare/Medicaid. Most people who are living very poorly do not qualify for skilled nursing facilities and don't need them.
All these acronyms are getting to me.

Agree, how could someone in poverty go into assisted living? People have to be able to afford it.

But what would they do if they ever needed a nursing home? Most people pay until their money runs out and then Medicaid takes over. So for a poor person wouldn't Medicaid just kick in at the very beginning? Just asking because I don't know. But that would seem to make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies