Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 PM

72,846 posts, read 62,282,792 times

Advertisements

The older I get, the more and more jaded I become. What I'm hearing is nothing new. I think what gets to me is the fact that I am no longer shocked about the idea of being racially profiled. Hurt? Yes. Angry? Yes. Because it says to me "your merit doesn't count".

Old 11-27-2013, 04:05 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,088,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The older I get, the more and more jaded I become. What I'm hearing is nothing new. I think what gets to me is the fact that I am no longer shocked about the idea of being racially profiled. Hurt? Yes. Angry? Yes. Because it says to me "your merit doesn't count".
To me, the issue is that so many people deny it, or try to downplay the effect it can have on an individual/community.

I still don't think its on most people's radar in this country but its affects, along with other affects of Police misconduct/corruption are slowly hitting the mainstream.

I agree with you, its tough to be treated as a "subject" or an any way inferior to someone simply because they have a badge or authority. For me, the only way I can turn from rage or anger is to raise awareness and do what I can to combat the issue and the corrupt officers who carry out its practice.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,849,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
SF police officer sues city for alleged racial profiling,... | www.ktvu.com

"A San Francisco police officer who claims he was racially profiled has sued the city and several fellow officers in federal court for allegedly choking him and tackling him to the ground during a traffic stop in May..."
Whoops! IMHO the other cops jumped the gun on that. Sheesh!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:03 AM

Here's a quick update on the Miami Gardens situation where the man was arrested multiple times for trespassing while working. A federal lawsuit has been filed against Miami Gardens.

What needs to happen next is officers need to start going to jail. Harassment, particularly when charges are brought, should be a criminal offense and mean jail time for the Police. Officials who are passing down orders should also face jail time if found guilty.

“Put simply, we believe the civil rights of African-American citizens in Miami Gardens are being violated,” said Reyes, principal for the law firm. “As stated in the court documents, low-income African-Americans, typically young men between ages 15 and 30, are consistently harassed and abused with little or no cause. Because this treatment is pervasive, consistent and long term – having taken place over a period of four years – we believe it represents a sanctioned policy by the City of Miami Gardens, its representatives and police department. "

Read more: The Reyes Law Group Files Federal Lawsuit against City of Miami Gardens for Alleged Civil Rights Violations - Press Release - Digital Journal

Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 AM

Here's another case of racial profiling/harassment at the hands of the Police. It's getting harder and harder for the opposition to bury their heads in the sand when profiling and harassment has become a problem nationwide.

Houston police respond to racial profiling accusations with Okla. teen, dancers | kvue.com Austin

olice then called Landry’s parents in Oklahoma, who were surprised by the officer’s tone. Destiny Thompson recalled the conversation.
“’Are you aware your daughter is with two black men?’ When I said ‘Yes, I’m aware of that,’ he called into questioning our parenting,” the mother said.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Cincinnati is notorious for racial profiling by Police. Despite their oppressive tactics and mass civil rights violations, the crime rate in Cincinnati remains one of the highest in the nation.

Is the goal of Police to reduce crime or simply meet arrest quotas?

NFL arrests raise questions of racial profiling

A police officer in Cincinnati watched a large black man get into his car and turn on the engine after being told it was illegally parked.

The officer thought the man was trying to avoid a parking ticket and told him to stop. So the man — Matthias Askew, at the time an NFL player — stopped his Cadillac Escalade, got out and was arrested in a scuffle with several officers. Police used a stun gun on Askew four times, alleging he resisted arrest.

A judge rejected the police account and cleared Askew of all charges.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 AM

I guess even the judges are starting experience the problem 1st hand.

When is enough enough?

Judge accuses UCLA police of brutality - Los Angeles Times

David S. Cunningham III is a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge, former president of the Los Angeles Police Commission, and a onetime federal civil rights attorney.

But on Saturday morning, he found himself handcuffed in the back of a UCLA police car. Officers had pulled him over as he was driving his Mercedes out of his Westwood gym — because, the police said, he wasn't wearing his seat belt.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM

398 posts, read 816,987 times
Hi there Gtownoe....trying to organize your protestors again?
Where is OWS now? This time organizing another group to protest how unfair life is?
What are "we" going to do about it?" You are the organizer, why don't you tell us what you want to do about it.
You start the divisive debate and you do not go out and do anything yourself. You have admitted that you do nothing about it yourself other than complain.
We like to be independent of "organizers" and do not need someone else to tell us how to feel or act.
We can make our own judgement calls and decide for ourselves if "someone" is being "unfair" to us or not.
Individual, case by case, no massive scale of "all cops profile" or "all business are corrupt."
For every "story" you find to rile, there is a "story" on the other side to "sooth".
Give a cop a smile today!

Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
Hi there Gtownoe....trying to organize your protestors again?
Where is OWS now? This time organizing another group to protest how unfair life is?
What are "we" going to do about it?" You are the organizer, why don't you tell us what you want to do about it.
You start the divisive debate and you do not go out and do anything yourself. You have admitted that you do nothing about it yourself other than complain.
We like to be independent of "organizers" and do not need someone else to tell us how to feel or act.
We can make our own judgement calls and decide for ourselves if "someone" is being "unfair" to us or not.
Individual, case by case, no massive scale of "all cops profile" or "all business are corrupt."
For every "story" you find to rile, there is a "story" on the other side to "sooth".
Give a cop a smile today!
How are you doing I don't believe we met.

What exactly are you debating here? Can you be more specific?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:26 PM

398 posts, read 816,987 times
I am debating here that: there is nothing to debate here.
For every "bad" cop story, there is a "good" cop story.
The intentional riling and divisiveness get us nowhere.
Approach a policeman with your hand extended in friendship and you might find a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies