Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 10:52 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But this is the sad thing. Those who think in terms of mass generalization, it isn't just the dumb and the lazy who do this. It is also done by those who are callous. I've seen people with college degrees make mass generalizations. Being selective based on personal behavior is one thing. I've noticed that some who make mass generalizations also have ill feelings towards those who are different from them, so it's easier.
Its not sad.

It's what stupid and lazy people do.

Anyone with reasonable intellect can selectively profile and use critical thinking skills. Judge each persons threat on an individual basis, make the decision, and treat someone fairly.

Those who are lazy and stupid cannot do that, therefore they judge everybody in a group the same way.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Cops pull over the people in their area that statistically cause the most crime. It might young black males in chicago or someone driving a $500 car in alaska, but these are the people that cause the most crime, which is why cops pull them over.If it reduces crime, I'm all for it. That's why I didn't get bent out of shape when I was pulled over in my beater 30 year old pick up this summer. It looks like something that someone without insurance would drive, even though it's really just my fishing rig that I use to pull my boat. I have nothing to hide; therefore, I have no problem with law enforcement reducing crime by using their heads.
I'm assuming you support Stop and Frisk and the NSA as well.

I'm sorry but that is not what our country was founded on. Despite what YOU or I might believe, that is not what our Fore Fathers intended and there was blood spilled so that we would have rights and more freedom.

It's almost laughable now because it seems that many countries have already passed us up in terms of freedom.

Would you be in favor of changing the Pledge of Allegience and Constitution as well?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Cops pull over the people in their area that statistically cause the most crime. It might young black males in chicago or someone driving a $500 car in alaska, but these are the people that cause the most crime, which is why cops pull them over.If it reduces crime, I'm all for it. That's why I didn't get bent out of shape when I was pulled over in my beater 30 year old pick up this summer. It looks like something that someone without insurance would drive, even though it's really just my fishing rig that I use to pull my boat. I have nothing to hide; therefore, I have no problem with law enforcement reducing crime by using their heads.
You have nothing to hide, yet your user profile with basic information about yourself is restricted. This isn't an attack, just an interesting observation. Ok with getting pulled over for no reason because your driving an old car and have nothing to hide, yet are protective with basic information online that nobody is even interested in seeing.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:03 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
I keep telling you to dismiss those people and that they are irrelevant with no power. Most people do not make mass generalizations. Those whites that do are generally uneducated and poor whites.
You are missing something huge. Legislation is enacted based upon these irrational fears. Stop and Frisk, the militarization of the police in many cities, longer sentences, mandatory sentences, tougher drug law, more police activity in certain neighborhoods, are some of the results of these fears.

If this came down to what people personally felt about black men this would be a meaningless discussion.

Here is an example, in the mid to late 1990's there was this disturbing theory introduced.

Simon & Schuster has just published "Body Count," a book DiIulio collaborated on with William Bennett and John P. Walters, which is full of anecdotes about remorseless killers. This book introduces the public to a term DiIulio has coined to describe juvenile criminals: "super-predators."

DiIulio calls juvenile crime the "demographic crime bomb." He believes that in 15 years, there will be anywhere from 150,000 to 200,000 juveniles in confinement on any given day. He writes in "Body Count," that "America is now home to thickening ranks of juvenile 'super-predators'--radically impulsive, brutally remorseless youngsters, including ever more pre-teenage boys...who do not fear the stigma of arrest, the pains of imprisonment, or the pangs of conscience."

This book and it authors were widely cited, were widely interviewed and people believed their theories including politicians.

In fact, the media would then take brutal crimes committed by young people as proof that the super predator theory was real and happening.

Last edited by Iamme73; 12-07-2013 at 11:45 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 11:32 AM

This theory was thoroughly wrong, didn't happen, was fiction, but understand this book explicitly focused on black male teens.

DiIulio argues that the real victims are the law-abiding blacks who are the principal targets of black crime. DiIulio believes that punishment serves a moral as well as practical end, and he believes more criminals should be incarcerated

DiIulio argues that crime is essentially a moral problem, and that its solution must be found in the moral realm. He believes that the moral authority of the black church is the only way to counter the ruinous influence of inner-city life and is currently building a network to coordinate the efforts of inner-city black ministers.

It must be repeated this man and the other authors and their theory was widely featured in many national publications

Dept. of Disputation: THE CRIMINALS OF TOMORROW : The New Yorker

1996 USA Today article, titled "Violent Kids Can't Be Reformed," author Susan Estrich wrote, "There are 40 million children in the United States under the age of 10…People wonder whether there is anything that can be done to stop the potential super-predators among them before it's too late."

Time, newsweek, weekly standard, every where these men and their racist quack theory were featured and believed.

On May 30, Rep. Bill McCollum, a Florida Republican, introduced the Violent Predator Act of 1996. The bill calls for automatic adult prosecution of juveniles age 14 or older who commit federal violent crimes or major drug crimes. It permits adult prosecution of juveniles age 13 or older who commit any federal felony. It imposes mandatory minimum sentences for armed violent youth offenders. It enhances cooperation among federal, state, and local law enforcement officials in apprehending violent youth criminals who use guns.

Here is legislation based on this garbage fake phony nonsense. This kind of legislation was enacted in many, many states and it targeted black male teens.

With frequent references to "juvenile predators," "hardened criminals," and "young thugs," U.S. lawmakers at both the state and federal levels have increasingly abandoned efforts to rehabilitate child offenders through the juvenile court system. Instead, many states have responded to a perceived outbreak in juvenile violent crime by moving more children into the adult criminal system. Between 1992 and 1998, at least forty U.S. states adopted legislation making it easier for children to be tried as adults.

Last edited by Iamme73; 12-07-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 11:40 AM

So this racial fear of black male violence has real world impact on criminalizing black male teens and making them the focus of police attention. Despite falling crime rates. This was the debate at the time.

This environment allows lawmakers and academics to dismiss the current trend, which shows juvenile crime to be on the wane, with dire forebodings. Indeed, Representative McCollum asserted, "Today's drop in crime is only the calm before the coming storm."13 Such an approach takes a demographic projection-that there will be more teenagers in the future-and wildly extrapolates from studies of chronic delinquency to conclude that a youth crime wave is in the wings. This is phony criminology, relying as it does on a predictiontechnique that is, in Zimring's words, "empty of logical and empirical content." 14 Zimring continues:

If the argument implied is that the number of homicides or robberies generated by a youth cohort can be easily predicted by its relative size, this is far from obvious in the record of recent American history. The rate of youth violence increased in the late 1980s even as the youth population declined, and the volume of youth violence decreased after 1993 as the youth population grew.15

I repeat there was no explosion in teen crime even as they were passing these laws to deal with super predator black teens crime amongst those teens was declining and has continued to decline. Yet it made no difference.

Now the most disturbing part of this story is that NO ONE was punished for spreading these disastrous theories, no newspapers or magazines were discredited for printing this garbage, no legislature was embarrassed nor did any reverse laws passed based on this fantasy crap.

Do you know why, because the public will believe anything about black males and violence. Someone could reintroduce the same super predator black male teen crime wave theory and people would believe it without question.

In fact that's what this knock out game bs is a continuation of that same garbage fake story that everyone knows to be true, but just can't be proven.

And that ultimately is why noone remembers that story from the not so distant past, because the idea that black males are violent and dangerous is what most Americans kind of believe.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Íamme73, you have some good points, but you have to remember all Americans (black included) made the decision years ago to choose security over liberty.

Look at Miami Gardens and that racist white male PD. Look at the black male getting arrested 250 times for going to work. Look at who runs that town. It's all black leadership. The blacks in charge could get rid of the white cops but they wont.

Whites whine now about TSA, but they will soon to be stopped and frisked. What happens with blacks has always been a preview for whats about to happen to whites, and from the guy I quoted a page ago saying he was fine being stopped because he drove an old car, I guess they won't mind it.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Íamme73, you have some good points, but you have to remember all Americans (black included) made the decision years ago to choose security over liberty.

Look at Miami Gardens and that racist white male PD. Look at the black male getting arrested 250 times for going to work. Look at who runs that town. It's all black leadership. The blacks in charge could get rid of the white cops but they wont.

Whites whine now about TSA, but they will soon to be stopped and frisked. What happens with blacks has always been a preview for whats about to happen to whites, and from the guy I quoted a page ago saying he was fine being stopped because he drove an old car, I guess they won't mind it.
Yes, you are somewhat correct, that in some cities with high levels of violence and during the crack epidemic that people in those communities called for more police and more aggressive police actions, but they wanted those actions taken against violent criminals not just any black teen/man walking down the street.

When I say Americans are scared of black men, mean all Americans of any race/ethnicity. All Americans are feed the same racist garbage about the dangers of black males. This garbage deeply impacts all American's perceptions.

My point was this kind of thinking and these fears about black men have real world consequences for millions of black men.

So we can't just ignore it and pretend it doesn't matter, because you can be doing nothing and be subjected to this police harassment and extra scrutiny.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:42 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:

I've heard about what is taking place in Miami Gardens. I'm more speechless than surprised.

And the way stop and frisk and other things like that work is kind of like how the Titanic worked. The people in steerage, the poorest ones, they got hit with the water first. Before long, it hit the wealthy persons on the deck. Whatever gets done to those who are considered the lowest in status, it will be done to those who are considered to be on the top.

This is part of what I see going on.

1) Those who favor the rights of others being taken away because they feel like those who aren't them are a threat to them. Some people feel like "well, if those persons are restricted and watched more, I will feel safer".

2) Those who don't care if the rights of others get taken away as long as they themselves are not affected.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
You believe in the Constitution. Or you do not believe in the Constitution. In basic terms.

The Constitution is not supposed to mean, "for my race but for everybody else good luck."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies