Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:18 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Because I have to pay Social Security, medicare, Federal,
Right, because we have a developed and civilized country. The developing world doesn't have a high tax burden, but they don't provide the safety and stability that developed countries do.

Quote:
State,
That's a state issue, not every state has an income tax.

Quote:
Property (home and for each motor vehicle I own),
Property taxes are for local services. You can find a place with no property taxes, but it's doubtful that you would want to live there.

Quote:
and then I get taxed again when I purchase something.
Again, that depends on where you live. NH, IIRC, has no sales tax.

Quote:
Now I may have to pay another tax for Obamacare.
Quote:
Then if I die and want to leave my money to my loved ones, it'll get taxed again...
Only on the amount exceeding $5,250,000

Quote:
So basically, using your logic, if:

Top Murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants:
USA: 150
Australia:165
UK: 163
Germany: 165
Belgium: 170
Italy: 160
Not really, the higher taxed places tend to have lower murder rates because it takes money to educate people and to provide police and court services.

Quote:
We as Americans shouldn't think 450,000 deaths per year is too much just because some countries have a higher rate? Taking almost half my pay in taxes, taxing my money multiple times, and taxing my purchases annually that were already taxed when I originally brought it is ridiculous and obsessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 02:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Because they aren't.

Why do people think our taxes are too high?

Because they are way too high. Nobody should pay more than 15% of their income to the government.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:22 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Because they aren't.

Top tax rate and applicable income level:
USA: 39.6%, $400K USD
Australia: 45%, $180,001 AUD
UK: 50%, £150,000 Brit. Pound
Germany: 42%, €52,882 - €250,730; 45%, €250,731 Euro
Belgium: 53.5%, €37,330 Euro
Italy: 43%, €75,001

Canada: 29%, $135,000 plus about 14% in provincial taxes.
Canadian income tax rates for Individuals - current and previous years
I think because some working folks at the upper income range have a 50% tax rate, between federal, state and local.

What we do have is a spending problem. We have $3.7 trillion in annual federal spending, and $1.5 trillion-$800 billion in deficit spending each year, not counting almost a trillion more in QE3 spending by the federal reserve in 2013.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:28 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Well, it depends on who decides what is "enough". I would think "enough" is when we see 17 trillion in debt, not counting trillions more in Social Security, Medicare etc...obligations. Giving more money to people that will just toss it out the window and "hope it sticks" is not the way to go.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Because they aren't.

That's like trying to justify buying a Cadillac you can't afford because the guy down the street bought a Mercedes. Trying to keep up with Jone's isn't a sound financial plan.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:32 PM

423 posts, read 414,941 times
Quote:
Because they aren't.

The problem is that we have entirely too damn many freeloaders who don't currently, nor ever have produced anything in their lives. Takers...not makers.

Judging from the tenor of your post....are you one of them?

If you consume, then you should be taxed....PERIOD! Upping the tax for the top tier of earners wouldn't even begin to make a dent in the deficit. However, if there was a federal income flat tax of something in the low-mid teens, that WOULD make a dent.

It's all irrelevant though. The Government already has it spent before it gets there....what's the use?

Old 10-12-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, one reason the rest of us have to pay so much in taxes is because of the "luckie-duckies" who are getting off scot-free, yet many of them are the biggest beneficiaries of this costly government. Of course they see no problem with all kinds of expensive government programs because they don't have to pay for it all. An across the board tax would make everyone have a stake in the national debt.

46 Percent of Americans Exempt From Federal Income Tax in 2011

Nearly half of American tax filers will pay no federal income taxes this year, according to data released by the Tax Policy Center.

Some 76 million tax filers, or 46.4 percent of the total, will be exempt from federal income tax in 2011
The number is down to 43.3%. Naturally, as the economy tanked the number of people that didn't pay any income tax went up

TPC Tax Topics | Who Doesn't Pay Federal Taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Why do uneducated people continue to compare the U.S., a capitalist country that relies heavily on consumerism, to other countries? Taxes often go up faster than inflation, particularly property taxes.
Taxes are at a historic low actually. Property taxes usually go up as the value of the property goes up.

Quote:
Speak for yourself, maybe you are among the almost half that pays no income taxes. Mine are far too high.

I agree with those who say taxes should be across the board. There are too few who pay taxes at all, of course they don't see any problem.
Um, no, I pay taxes and although it would be nice to pay no taxes I'm not going to try and say taxes are too high when the USA has the lowest taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
The only people who think taxes are not high are the people who don't pay any income tax.

Become a business owner and you will find out just how high taxes really are.
Corporate taxes are high, but I was speaking about individual income taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I guess high or low is relative according to your perspective. If they are 40% with minimal gov waste, minimal debt and systems are not being abused then I would say taxes are fair.
If the Fed is spending money like a drunken sailor, burying the nation in debt then no matter what the taxes are they are too high.
If taxes are raised for the purpose of wealth redistribution they are always wrong.

I won't speak for the countries mentioned in the OP other than to say each and every one of them have lived under the umbrella of US generosity.
We didn't start "burying" the nation in debt until we cut taxes. Reagan cut taxes too much and then he and Bush raised taxes numerous times - same with Clinton. Bush Jr cut taxes right before the baby boomers were expected to draw on the social insurance funds, but those taxes never went back up.

Last edited by lycos679; 10-12-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself, maybe you are among the almost half that pays no income taxes. Mine are far too high.

I agree with those who say taxes should be across the board. There are too few who pay taxes at all, of course they don't see any problem.
Someone could pay 1% and still complain that taxes are too high.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think because some working folks at the upper income range have a 50% tax rate, between federal, state and local.

What we do have is a spending problem. We have $3.7 trillion in annual federal spending, and $1.5 trillion-$800 billion in deficit spending each year, not counting almost a trillion more in QE3 spending by the federal reserve in 2013.
Yes, but the spending is on Medicare and boomers don't want that program cut, so that leaves raising taxes or running a deficit to pay for it. cutting the military spending doesn't solve any long term debt problem and cutting discretionary funding doesn't solve any long term debt problem. Cutting Medicare or lowering the cost of healthcare does solve the long term debt problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Well, it depends on who decides what is "enough". I would think "enough" is when we see 17 trillion in debt, not counting trillions more in Social Security, Medicare etc...obligations. Giving more money to people that will just toss it out the window and "hope it sticks" is not the way to go.
That sounds more like an argument in favor of cutting social programs and not an argument in favor of cutting taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's like trying to justify buying a Cadillac you can't afford because the guy down the street bought a Mercedes. Trying to keep up with Jone's isn't a sound financial plan.
With the exception of Italy, all the countries I mentioned perform better than the USA does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
The problem is that we have entirely too damn many freeloaders who don't currently, nor ever have produced anything in their lives. Takers...not makers.

Judging from the tenor of your post....are you one of them?

If you consume, then you should be taxed....PERIOD! Upping the tax for the top tier of earners wouldn't even begin to make a dent in the deficit. However, if there was a federal income flat tax of something in the low-mid teens, that WOULD make a dent.

It's all irrelevant though. The Government already has it spent before it gets there....what's the use?
I never proposed raising taxes on higher earners. It just doesn't make any sense for people to say our taxes are too high when they aren't. Compared to Africa we have high taxes, but compared to Australia or Germany we aren't a high tax country. If you compare us to Canada we are a high tax country for lower earners and corporations, but a low tax country for the wealthy individuals.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Your right everyone should pay taxes. 17% across the board..
Sign me up. I could use the break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies