Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,147,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I fail to see where your opinion is supported,simply because there were no fighter planes doesn't mean that such things would be restricted.

Congress has the power to raise and maintain an army....
Yes - an "ARMY" - not an Air Force, or a Coast Guard

Old 11-20-2007, 12:09 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,805,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sorry it was actually armed forces...

and the Air Force WAS part of the Army initially.

The Coast Guard was established under the Trasury Dept in 1790.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:15 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,775,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
This is instructive. You and fish complain when the US gets involved in trying to bring peace and democracy to oppressed people, and now you mock those who say that the Palestinians' plight is of their own doing, that we can't solve it for them, and that thye need to take responsibility for the miserable situation they have largely created for themselves...
I think I just have a different interpretation of what "trying to bring peace and democracy to an oppressed people" means than you do. Help to schedule some roundtable discussions? By all means!

Pick a side based on who we think will benefit us more and dump billions of our taxpayer dollars into military assistance, only to have those same people turn around a decade later to point those guns back at our troops. That seems silly to me. And I have yet to see where our "efforts to bring peace and democracy to oppressed people" as you so nobly wrap your terminology, has borne fruition or helped the oppressed in any way.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I think oz may be one of those that hearkens back to the "literal"interpretation of the Constitution (Madisonian) ..kind of like Lancaster guy...where Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and unemployment benefits are all anti-constitutional. Although this goes against most of the modern Supreme Court interpretations of our sacred document.

Remember Ruby Ridge!

Scary some people still out there with that philosophy.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,805,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I think I just have a different interpretation of what "trying to bring peace and democracy to an oppressed people" means than you do. Help to scehdule some roundtable discussions? By all means!

Pick a side based on who we think will benefit us more and dump billions of our taxpayer dollars into military assistance, only to have those same peole turn around a decade later to point those guns back at our troops. That seems silly to me. And I have yet to see where our "efforts to bring peace and deomcracy to oppressed people" as you so nobly wrap your terminology, has borne fruition or helped the oppressed in any way.
Well,the Iraqi and Afghan people have been given the ability to vote freely for the frist time in decades....

I guess there is that small point.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Well,the Iraqi and Afghan people have been given the ability to vote freely for the frist time in decades....

I guess there is that small point.
LOL! Yeah, great. Now how about some running water, electricity, a medical system that was dismantled, a government that works once they vote for it, etc. etc.

Funny those Iraqis and Afghans are not more grateful to us for giving them the "right to vote".

Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,147,378 times
Quote:
Sorry it was actually armed forces...

and the Air Force WAS part of the Army initially.

The Coast Guard was established under the Trasury Dept in 1790.
BUT, a "strict" interpertation would not allow the Coast Guard. Nor would it allow a seperate branch of military known as the Air Force -

Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,988,039 times
Quote:
By Oz:

If the people who live in these neighborhoods would perhaps contact the police and actually participate in making THEIR neighborhoods better you might have a point,but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Neither you nor I know whether it's the case because we don't live where they do, do we?

Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,247,328 times
Quote:
I think I just have a different interpretation of what "trying to bring peace and democracy to an oppressed people" means than you do. Help to schedule some roundtable discussions? By all means!

Pick a side based on who we think will benefit us more and dump billions of our taxpayer dollars into military assistance, only to have those same people turn around a decade later to point those guns back at our troops. That seems silly to me. And I have yet to see where our "efforts to bring peace and democracy to oppressed people" as you so nobly wrap your terminology, has borne fruition or helped the oppressed in any way.
Ask the French, the Italians, the Czechs, the Poles, the Hungarians, the Dutch, the Belgians, the Filippinos, the South Koreans, and the other people around the world for whom America has spilled her blood and treasure. They might disagree with you.

You need to go further back in history than the last issue of The Nation. You're beginning to sound foolish.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,247,328 times
Quote:
LOL! Yeah, great. Now how about some running water, electricity, a medical system that was dismantled, a government that works once they vote for it, etc. etc.

Funny those Iraqis and Afghans are not more grateful to us for giving them the "right to vote".
So you want to criticize us for their stupidity?

Good thinking.

I hope no one runs into you while you're driving at the speed limit on the right side of the road. You'll be forced to admit that it's your fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies