Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:06 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Daycare would have cost as much as if she had just stayed home. Wait, it I recall, I did the math and we would've had like an extra 20 bucks or so at the end of the month. We both agreed she would stay at home and raise our kid. She wanted to work. It didn't make any financial sense for her to do it, though.

You're 24 years old and your wife looks like this:

All a young man thinks of at that age is ...Family planning, right?

It's weird you mention that, though. Our son was planned. Him being born premature and costing ~ 100 grand for the ICU care after the birth, and the neonatal hepatitis and the wearing an oxygen bottle for a year, not so much.

Guess, what. He's 6'1, plays on the B Ball team, and makes A's and B's. He's 17 now. You could never tell he was born the size of a small sweet potato. His arm was the size of my little finger. Not any more.

THANKS, WiC. AND, THANK YOU, AMERICA. I really mean that. If it hadn't been for government - I was in the Air Force so, that 100 grand (it was actually about 104 K) was taken care of (mostly) by American taxes. Raise your hand if you have ever gotten a hospital bill in the mail for 94 thousand dollars after your baby was born? Anyone? That was just one bill. I got a couple more after that to get it to 104 K'ish,

That's in 1996 dollars. I'm scared to think of what it would cost now.
This only holds true if you (spouse) can't qualify for a job that paid well. Military or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:31 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,941 times
Quote:
Food Stamps: Military Families Redeem $100 Million A Year In SNAP Benefits

Military families are on a pace this year to redeem more than $100 million in food aid on military bases.

I read the welfare threads here and realize that people don't have a clue about who uses welfare....or why. They do love to make it sound like people want to be on it. Just like all those soldiers above. They suck, right? They're on welfare, too, bro.

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain
Give them a raise, not food stamps!

Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
They get a housing allowance, would it be feasible to also give them a food allowance and thereby eliminate their reliance on SNAP?
Why not just pay them a salary that reflects their work duties and skip paying the ones who marry more money? Just like in the private sector, it makes no difference to one's wages if one is single or married.

Some of these people are being encourage to get into marriages that really aren't too good and have children they can't afford. Having spouses and children gets them a whole lot more money than being single and that doesn't seem to me like a good idea.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:36 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Food Stamps: Military Families Redeem $100 Million A Year In SNAP Benefits

Military families are on a pace this year to redeem more than $100 million in food aid on military bases.

I read the welfare threads here and realize that people don't have a clue about who uses welfare....or why. They do love to make it sound like people want to be on it. Just like all those soldiers above. They suck, right? They're on welfare, too, bro.

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain
Are you saying US Government = Walmart?

Old 06-07-2014, 04:26 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Give them a raise, not food stamps!
Ha! Like that will happen.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:29 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
so because they serve they are some how more deserving than a non serving family?

Old 06-07-2014, 04:36 AM

241 posts, read 189,192 times
Quote:
so because they serve they are some how more deserving than a non serving family?
When discussing the distribution of benefits, we must distinguish between recipients who have contributed to the system (e.g. those who have served in the military, those who have worked their entire lives, and those who are creating jobs) vs. those who always have their hands out without contributing much if anything to society.

I have no problem with military or ex-military members receiving benefits, as they have actually contributed to society by fighting for our freedoms around the world. If it wasn't for our brave troops defending our freedoms in Iraq and Afghanistan, you probably wouldn't have the luxury of posting this message from your computer.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:08 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
It's a disgrace that our military has to resort to relying on food stamps. Something seriously wrong when our military gets so little from the government while the government is fine with paying independent contractors billions of dollars, who in turn pay their employees six figure salaries, and at the same time are protected by our military.

If the US ever finds itself where it isn't invading a country then the government can pass on all those MREs stocked in warehouses to veterans and those still in the military and get them off food stamps. Pass the savings on to those who don't know what a paycheck is and who really, really deserve it.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:33 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
That's the Obama administration buying the silence of the military.

He bribes everyone.
No, sorry, as much as I dislike obama, he can't take the hit for this one.
Way back when I did my first tour of active duty, (1959), long before the current welfare programs were even thought about, we were told "Don't even THINK about getting married until you have 4 years of service under your belt, and you have achieved the paygrade of E-4 (E-4 over 4). YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO BE MARRIED UNTIL THEN, AND EVEN THEN YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO HAVE CHILDREN!"
That advice and warning is still true today.
Little has changed.
Except that young people today listen even less than they did back then!

Old 11-18-2014, 07:27 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
I heard in Maine, they're going to make them work 20 hours a week to get these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies