Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:33 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, and they won't be.

You fail to mention that many people without insurance have paid for treatment, not simply gone to an emergency room.

Secondly, you are going to be paying thousands more than you are paying now because of ObamaCare. Many people are finding that out. Have you not been paying attention?
Some people will pay more, many will pay less. Where are you getting your information from?

So far the only people who will pay more are those that had individual policies that had very high deductibles, copays and low caps. These policies don't meet the new insurance standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Some people will pay more, many will pay less. Where are you getting your information from?

So far the only people who will pay more are those that had individual policies that had very high deductibles, copays and low caps. These policies don't meet the new insurance standards.
Ahem, young people will pay more. My current policy is $80/month with no lifetime cap and a $3K deductible. The same policy is going to be $202 on Jan 1, 2014. Not much reason to carry insurance at that price.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:43 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Ahem, young people will pay more. My current policy is $80/month with no lifetime cap and a $3K deductible. The same policy is going to be $202 on Jan 1, 2014. Not much reason to carry insurance at that price.
LIES!

Faux News, rush libaugh, teabagger lies!

NO ONE has died since Octobee 1st.....NO ONE has been denied medical coverage.

NO ONE has used the ER unnecessarily!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:45 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Those who can afford it until the market needs to sell more and the price will lower.
So in the meantime you advocate letting those who cannot afford it die? I believe most people would find that idea cruel. That is precisely why the free market does not work in health care. No one should be left to die if they cannot afford treatment.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:57 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
No one should ever go without access to health care. In my opinion (and a growing number of Americans') it's a basic human right.
How is having access to a consumer product a "right"? Rights defined in the US Constitution don't involve costs borne by others. Freedom of speech, assembly, life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, etc. do not come with price tags associated with the practice thereof. I can say access to satellite TV is a right and *you* have to pay for *mine*. Doesn't make it true, or right, but I can assert it just as you can your beliefs.

Quote:
The conservative stance on this issue is helping doom their party because they espouse a world where only the wealthy should have access to health care. That's just not the way a majority of Americans feel about the subject.
No one is saying that the wealthy should have a lock on access to health care, just that like any other product, it should fall upon the recipient to pay for the product or service they receive and not upon someone else to pay for. So you think the majority of American think that they should pay not only for what they receive, but pay for other non-contributors to receive the same?

Quote:
You'll hear a lot of conservative rhetoric about how most Americans don't like the ACA.
Most Americans are just waking up to the fact of what a terrible implementation of healthcare reform the ACA is - poorly planned, poorly presented ("have to pass it to find out what's in it"), poorly implemented, and at higher cost than was ever expressed while subjecting the recipients to a drop in the quality of what's delivered.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
High cost = no access. I want a mansion in Malibu. The price is way out of my range so I have no access.
No one is stopping you from having that except you. You want the US taxpayer to buy you a house? Same story for healthcare, which is just a consumer product.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:02 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The ACA (Obamacare) goes into effect Jan 1, 2014.... about 2 and a half months from now. At that time, adults and children that have health insurance purchased through the exchanges can start using it.

Prior to that time, uninsured people have just shown up at the Emergency Rooms in hospitals for treatment of illness or injuries, etc. We have been paying for that in the higher costs that these places charge. It's passed along.

My question is primarily for those that are against Obamacare. Do you think that uninsured people should also be turned away from Emergency Rooms since we have to pay for their care?
What makes you think uninsured people don't pay for their own healthcare. We have no insurance and we pay as we go. So far, paygo has been FAR less expensive than paying for health insurance and still having to pay for medical care.

You people really have little clue what you're talking about when it comes to these issues. It's not an all or none proposition.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Then you agree; cost denies access.
But the ability to deal with costs lies in the hands of the purchaser. Access does not. People are not motivated when someone else will provide for them.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
good to know that some are still around. as i said kino hospital is still around, but they changed ownership. but as you probably know, a lot of the free clinics, basically hospital light or doctors office heavy, were run with a lot of volunteers in the medical profession, but they were essentially driven out when malpractice insurance rates started climbing radically. and a big part of that is government regulations.
Quote:
By clinic, I mean clinic. In Canada if you want an MRI you go to a clinic. In Australia if you want a hip replacement you go to a clinic.

This is technically a US "clinic" they provide over 80 unrelated services.

Outpatient Surgery Prices | Metro Health

This is an Australian clinic, they provide hip related services.

Services - Brisbane Hip Clinic Australia

Here's a heart clinic

Heart & Vascular Institute - Flinders Cardiac Clinic

Canada MRI clinic.

Vancouver MRI Private Clinic - CMI - Whole Body Imaging Scans
We have such clinics in the US too, e.g. the Cleveland Clinic, the Lahy Clinic, the Mayo Clinic. Even smaller towns have places called clinics, e.g. Carle Clinic and Christie Clinic in Champaign, IL, Longmont Clinic in Longmont, CO. Some are just called "medical center", e.g. Boulder Medical Center in Boulder, CO. These are all simply large group practices. I'm not going to post links; no one ever looks at them.

I'm not really getting what you're talking about. Do you think all care in the US happens in hospitals? Not by a long shot. You have to be practically at death's door to be admitted to a hospital in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why would it cost $400,000? Once the procedure is developed, it shouldn't cost that kind of money.

Maybe what needs to be looked at is why some of the costs are so high. Today a routine vaginal birth costs nearly $10,000 -- something that requires almost no intervention and that people have done on their own for thousands of years. Why?
It is so difficult to discuss health care with people who don't know much about health care. This theoretical vaccine would cost zillions to develop; the developers would have to charge a lot to get a ROI within a reasonable amount of time.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:14 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
The uninsured aren't driving medical costs though. Players in the healthcare market, that have monopoly power, contribute more to the cost than the poor ever could. Also, the uninsured have better survival odds than the people on Medicaid do, so much for the idea that lack of health insurance kills, eh?

To your point, EMTALA is the law of the land.
From a corporate view uninsured represent a market that isn't being tapped. Health Care makes the govt a great deal of money.

This administrative expansion would seem to attempt cost control and increase of revenues primarily through market share increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies