Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Yet, bill maher is protected by men with guns.

Go figure.
I was not clear, sorry. Bill Maher is not for gun control for the very reasons I mentioned. A lot of liberals have guns. People need guns for protection if the police cannot be there when you need them. The people in this country will never give up their guns because both the right and the left have them.

Sometimes liberals will surprise you. We like to think for ourselves. We don't march in lockstep to orders from on high. We also allow dissension in our midst and do not require unswerving loyalty to der Fuehrer.

Oh, I used to be Republican, and now am not since the Tea Party took over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I'm surprised at the bias in this article.
No, you're not.

You've seen it for years.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
That is an absurd argument.

Are cars designed to kill? No. Do accidents happen? Yes.

You might as well compare guns to bathtubs, 'cuz people can slip and fall in a bathtub and kill themselves.

Yes, if a gun is used carelessly, it can kill people.

Guess what? If a gun is used with great care, it can kill people.

The purpose of a car is to get you from one place to another.

The purpose of a gun is to kill.
We should all understand something here. Most guns in the US are not owned by crazed nuts. The vast majority are bought for protection, a lot of them are purchased by people who don't really like them. These folks take them out to a range, learn how to handle a gun, and then it is placed somewhere safe in the house and usually not touched again. It gives assurance that if some Heisenberg (God rest his soul) knocks on your door with no good intent, you may be able to defend your family.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
No, you're not.

You've seen it for years.
News reporting - just the fact that humans do this will allow some bias in, but when there are two valid sides to an issue such blatant prejudice should be left to the editorials.

There used to be a Fairness Doctrine. I don't know if it just covered radio, but it certainly put a damper on such taking sides in political hot button issues.

Let people think things out for themselves. That's what's supposed to happen in a democracy. If you don't trust your fellow citizens then go to a place with a different form of government.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:15 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Pro-gun groups plan 'Guns Save Lives' day on Newtown massacre anniversary - NY Daily News

I'm with Bill Maher on this one. I wish none of us had guns. I don't think we will ever be able to keep guns out of the hands of criminals so I don't think this country will ever be able to adequately ban guns. Because of that, I think it is more practical to allow the public to be armed, but for violent felons with a history and potentially violent people with mental problems.

The anti-gun people, to my mind, are very idealistic, but impractical.

I'm surprised at the bias in this article.
Don't you wish Bill Maher, The Hypocrite in-Chief, would fire his ARMED body guards?? Funny how these stooges deride guns while being surrounded by people that carry guns.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Don't you wish Bill Maher, The Hypocrite in-Chief, would fire his ARMED body guards?? Funny how these stooges deride guns while being surrounded by people that carry guns.
Boy, all that bold type. Are you shouting? Well, you are WRONG and making yourself look awfully foolish.

As I mentioned before, Maher is NOT a proponent of gun control. Maybe you should read more carefully before putting your foot in it?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Guns Save Lives?

Not the lives of the people at the receiving end.

especially when the crooks are on the receiving end.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 AM

23,863 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
That is an absurd argument.
The purpose of a gun is to kill.
Speaking of absurd arguments...

A gun is designed to fire a projectile. That's it.

If the purpose of a gun is to kill, then explain how I could have put many, many thousands of rounds through my guns and not a single living thing has ever been hurt, much less killed.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post

everyone that thinks that "the people" should be without firearms and can afford their own security or have secret service protection, should not be allowed to have such in place for them.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
everyone that thinks that "the people" should be without firearms and can afford their own security or have secret service protection, should not be allowed to have such in place for them.
Yeah, but Bil Maher is NOT one of them, so what are you posting about - or are you just ill informed?

Maher has said, on many of his shows, that people should have a means to defend themselves, that the police will not be at your door when the thief walks in.

He also said that many on the left also have guns. Maybe they are not as vocal. Maher may be right or wrong on some issues, but the man is no hypocrite and he's not fearful of taking a stand on his own truth even if it means losing some of his following.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies