Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
That's the fatal flaw in the first place.

An astoundingly stupid idea.
But they do it over and over again.

Corn fuel in your tank even though it doesnt improve gas milage.

Its like making kids have something on thier lunch that they dont want and wont eat just because its healthier. Whats the use if the kids will throw it away instead of eating it.

In michigan their used to be a tax for older cars emmissions. You still could drive the older car, it just cost you more. You either fixed the emmissions or paid the higher tax for keeping it the same. Sound familur? Sounds like ACA. They got rid of that stupid law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Should people who dont need certain coverage be required to purchase it?

Of course not. The fundamental basis for American society, is free choice, voluntary interaction, integrity of rights, and personal responsibility for those choices.

The whole idea of govt forcing people do buy something from other people, violates this fundamental basis.

But then, the purpose of Obamacare isn't coverage. It's wealth transfer.

The whole scheme DEPENDS on people who don't need certain coverage, to buy it anyway. Then the money they pay in, can be transferred to other people who are poor, or chronically ill, etc.

It's the opposite of genuine "insurance", where you buy coverage for something you think you might incur. Here, the liberals want you to buy coverage for something you certainly won't incur... so they get your money and give it to others.

Obamacare is based on the idea that the collective society is more important than the individual. And that the individual can be sacrificed, a little, to make the collective feel better... whether the individual likes it or not.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
But they do it over and over again.

Corn fuel in your tank even though it doesnt improve gas milage.

Its like making kids have something on thier lunch that they dont want and wont eat just because its healthier. Whats the use if the kids will throw it away instead of eating it.

In michigan their used to be a tax for older cars emmissions. You still could drive the older car, it just cost you more. You either fixed the emmissions or paid the higher tax for keeping it the same. Sound familur? Sounds like ACA. They got rid of that stupid law.
Some people think they can use government to improve people.

They have forgotten that the purpose of govt is to protect our rights, and leave us free to improve ourselves.

If I wanted advice or direction on improving myself, probably the last place I'd go, is the clunky, incompetent groups of bureaucrats called Government.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Some people think they can use government to improve people.

They have forgotten that the purpose of govt is to protect our rights, and leave us free to improve ourselves.

If I wanted advice or direction on improving myself, probably the last place I'd go, is the clunky, incompetent groups of bureaucrats called Government.
I wonder if i can get insurance to cover a new uterius for my wife so we can use the coverage we now must have?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
I wonder if i can get insurance to cover a new uterius for my wife so we can use the coverage we now must have?
That is all silliness. We all most purchase an insurance policy. It covers things I am sure I will never have need for. And it covers things it is highly improbable I will ever take advantage of...

But those are simply components of the insurance policy. There is no requirement that every covered item apply to ever policy holder.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:44 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Should people who dont need certain coverage be required to purchase it?

The whole scheme DEPENDS on people who don't need certain coverage, to buy it anyway. Then the money they pay in, can be transferred to other people who are poor, or chronically ill, etc.

It's the opposite of genuine "insurance", where you buy coverage for something you think you might incur. Here, the liberals want you to buy coverage for something you certainly won't incur... so they get your money and give it to others.

Obamacare is based on the idea that the collective society is more important than the individual. And that the individual can be sacrificed, a little, to make the collective feel better... whether the individual likes it or not.
Before the ACA, could you go to an insurance company and tell them you want a policy covering Only specific items you want covered. Say you wanted a policy covering Only mental health, no cap on yearly and lifetime benefits; prenatal care; and prescription drugs, would a company write that policy for you.

The excellent private company employer-sponsored policy I belonged to depended on an individual's premiums subsidizing services they don't use in exchange for others doing the same.

I don't care if it's strictly 'insurance' or something else --- pool health care, money transfer, loss of freedom. The plan worked.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Before the ACA, could you go to an insurance company and tell them you want a policy covering Only specific items you want covered. Say you wanted a policy covering Only mental health, no cap on yearly and lifetime benefits; prenatal care; and prescription drugs, would a company write that policy for you.

The excellent private company employer-sponsored policy I belonged to depended on an individual's premiums subsidizing services they don't use in exchange for others doing the same.

I don't care if it's strictly 'insurance' or something else --- pool health care, money transfer, loss of freedom. The plan worked.
You could not do that in every state. Most states had mandated coverages before Obamacare.

The problem with what you describe is that you can't always predict what coverage you'll need. Lots of people think they'll never need mental health coverage, only to need it soon thereafter.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
Quote:
Lets look at the mandate a little differently.

If someone doesnt need prenatal and maternity coverage should they have to purchase a policy that covers those things?

Say your married and you wife has had a histerectimy or her tubes tied. Say shes unable to have babies, what about a gay couple who cant have children.

Should a guy that has a vasectomy have to pay taxes that support public schools?

Should a pacifist have to pay taxes that fund the military and wars?

Should someone that is unable to obtain a driver's license and commutes by walking or a bicycle have to pay taxes that go towards maintaining roads?

The new healthcare law IS a tax. It was written like it is a tax. It works like a tax, and it is going to be enforced like it is a tax. The IRS is the vehicle for the enforcement. The IRS is the government's collection agency. . . . . . it collects taxes.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You could not do that in every state. Most states had mandated coverages before Obamacare.

The problem with what you describe is that you can't always predict what coverage you'll need. Lots of people think they'll never need mental health coverage, only to need it soon thereafter.
My policy is in one of those states with many mandates, though a few mandates applied only to group plans, not individual policies. I was always fine with my group policy premiums reflecting services I knew I'd never use or be unlikely to use. Other members of the group plan generally did the same, subsidizing services they'd probably not want in an individual plan.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
My policy is in one of those states with many mandates, though a few mandates applied only to group plans, not individual policies. I was always fine with my group policy premiums reflecting services I knew I'd never use or be unlikely to use. Other members of the group plan generally did the same, subsidizing services they'd probably not want in an individual plan.
I am in a individual plan. Again why should my plan cancell and cost me more to cover items my family will never use?

We cant have children anymore! Why am i required to pay for prenatal and cost of a child birth! Its a individual plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies