Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:52 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
But how many Canadians have the latest greatest I-phone?
Almost everyone I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The real problem is when you look closely at who pays. British and Canadians pay a lot across the board for their healthcare plan. its also effects what else their government can do as basics. Then of course the ACAQ will likely effect even them as our private system finances 70% of the medical and drug research done I the world besides subsides healthcare to many of the most poor nations around the world. Just as the cuts to defense in sequester will effect many allies security as we spend less over seas.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:06 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
There's only ONE worthwhile plan.

Entirely remove the federal government from ALL aspects of healthcare, and all involvement.

Problem solved.
If we removed all federal involvement from healthcare, we would no longer have functioning Medicare or Medicaid.

44 million Americans don't have insurance, 48 million people are on Medicare, and 53 million are on Medicaid. If your dream came true 145 million Americans would not have functioning health insurance.

I am a simple person and I don't need much. But one thing I like is to be able to see a good doctor when I have some medical problem.

Why would you want to create a America were 145 million people don't have functioning health insurance?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:35 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
If we removed all federal involvement from healthcare, we would no longer have functioning Medicare or Medicaid.
It never was functioning.

Quote:
44 million Americans don't have insurance, 48 million people are on Medicare, and 53 million are on Medicaid. If your dream came true 145 million Americans would not have functioning health insurance.
They don't now. They have handouts promised by a bankrupt government.

Quote:
I am a simple person and I don't need much. But one thing I like is to be able to see a good doctor when I have some medical problem.
Then be responsible and solve your own problems.

Quote:
Why would you want to create a America were 145 million people don't have functioning health insurance?
Why is "insurance" so important to you? Answer: Because you think it makes someone else pay your bills.

You're trying to say that 145 million of 300 million need the other half to pay their medical services for them. This isn't a viable mechanism. It's a preposterous notion.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The real problem is when you look closely at who pays. British and Canadians pay a lot across the board for their healthcare plan. its also effects what else their government can do as basics. Then of course the ACAQ will likely effect even them as our private system finances 70% of the medical and drug research done I the world besides subsides healthcare to many of the most poor nations around the world. Just as the cuts to defense in sequester will effect many allies security as we spend less over seas.
Canadians do not pay as much as you think...Even taking our taxes into consideration we pay substantially less than Americans for health care with the plus that everyone is covered.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:46 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Canadians do not pay as much as you think...Even taking our taxes into consideration we pay substantially less than Americans for health care with the plus that everyone is covered.
Canada has a clinic based model, competitive healthcare model, lower drug prices, lower malpractice premiums (despite having a higher cost of living), and less defensive medicine usage. America is the opposite on all those aspects. Insurance and single payer are just ways to address the method of payment, not the cost of healthcare.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
This isn't a viable mechanism. It's a preposterous notion.
Yes it's such a preposterous notion, please let Canada know whatever they're doing is not a viable mechanism.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Some people apparently know very little about politics in the United States.
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and if the democrats were actually interested in helping the people.. dont you think they would have written easy to use simple laws
Not at all. Helping the people includes crafting laws that, for example, include enough accountability to satisfy those who would obstruct laws and use the inadequate accountability as part of their obstructive propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the could have have 5 one page laws instead of a 2000 page monstrosity
Such naivete is quaint, but has no place in a substantive discussion of American politics.

Quote:
Actually, it does describe the you that what you say portrays.
No it doesn't. You clearly don't have any legitimate defense for your perspective on the merits, and so you apparently think it is proper to stoop to personal attacks on the posters who put your perspectives in their proper place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Health care is considered a human right in Canada.
Basic healthcare is an universal human right:
Quote:
Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights §25(1).
Quote:
I doubt you'll get an legitimate answer. (Instead you got a question as response to your question - a typically right-wing dodge, to avoid accountability for what they project.) There is nothing to be gained by someone admitting that their political perspective is grounded in callous disregard for others, and the insistence that society prioritize their own personal comfort and luxury over the basic needs of others.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:

Well stated. We are talking about half the population, here.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
But how many Canadians have the latest greatest I-phone?
why would anyone want an apple product???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies