Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Many Vacation Weeks should each American get per year?
Six Weeks 23 23.71%
Five Weeks 5 5.15%
Four Weeks 30 30.93%
Three Weeks 7 7.22%
Two Weeks 13 13.40%
One Week 1 1.03%
Zero Weeks 18 18.56%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper Man View Post
By hiring fewer people.
How do you expect to hire fewer people and give them all 6 weeks paid off a year?
Someone will have to cover those 6 weeks for each employee, and you will have to cover the pay for those 6 weeks of non productive time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 05:26 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Commerce Clause?
Not that I am aware of, Commerce clause sets forth power to regulate commerce with other nations, some states, and indian tribes.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Most of Europeans get four, at leats here.
30 days = is six 5 day work weeks. I think pretty much normal in German speaking lands, Netherlands and Scandinavia.

And unlimited sick days with doctors attest. 3 days without. After 3 days I beleve your health insurance pays- never been sure how that worked though.

Last edited by GER308; 10-15-2013 at 07:06 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
I pick six weeks because Europeans get it too.

As many as you want.

No work- no pay. As a physician, I "can" take off as much time as I want. Downside of that?

1. I continue to pay overhead each day. It costs $2,500 per day overhead, whether I am there or not.

2. "Delaying" patients- people want to be seen in a timely fashion. Time off delays appointments.

3. Maintaining referrals- if you are not available most of the time, patients will go elsewhere.

I don't think that there should be "paid" vacation for anyone. I would offer that younger people would take less vacation (more expenses) while older workers would take more (time vs. money).

Old 10-15-2013, 07:38 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
How much vacation? I guess that depends on what you do for a living....I have been a commercial fisherman since 1979 and worked 5 months per year and took 7 months off. Mind you in the 5 months I worked it was an average of 16 hours a day and mostly 7 days a week....Tough, dangerous work but it was worth it..... I retired from actual hands on fishing in 2001 and since then lease out my license and quota........ Buying that boat was the best decision I ever made.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Are we talking about UNPAID vacation? 2 weeks... PAID vacations? 0 weeks... the employer isn't here to pay you for not working, no matter how much liberals would like to be paid for not working... two weeks for unpaid because everyone needs a vacation from work and two weeks is a fair number except for those who don't want to work, and people who don't want to work shouldn't be rewarded for wanting not to work...
Allow me to share a story with you (or not, skip this if you want). Waaaay back in the early 1970s, a friend who was about 21-22 at the time and in her first job, wanted to take some time off. Her boss said "no" as she didn't have any vacation time available. (I don't remember the details about that; if she'd used up all the available time she had or hadn't accrued any yet or what.) Then she asked about taking time off w/o pay. Her boss said "If we didn't need you here, you wouldn't have a job". Basically paid vacation means you're important enough to the company that every day off you take has to be accounted for. Now I know there are some jobs, generally considered "temporary" even if they're not actually temporary, where one gets paid only for time worked. I've had some jobs like that. Basically, you're working on an as needed basis, and the company can also not have work for you at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What difference does it make? Evidently, Americans don't take advantage of the vacation days they DO have. Vacation seems like an anathema to them.

Even when Americans have vacation time, they are scared to take it – often because they are afraid their bosses will think they’re lazy or that they could lose their jobs while on vacation. Employees and employers would both do well to change that: a lack of vacation cost employers in the long run. Employers who discourage vacations end up with stressed, unhappy employees. They also end up with unhealthy employees: not taking vacation has been found to correspond to increased chance of heart disease for both men and women. The cost of stress-related health care is estimated at $344 billion a year.
Americans Don't Take Vacation Even Though It's One Of The Best Benefits Around - Forbes
Forbes likes to write a lot of "fluff" stuff. They should stick with what they do best, e.g. financial reporting. While this is tangentially related to finance, it's not exactly like writing about derivatives or something. In this case, they got their statistics (which are minimal in the article) from a survey done by Hotwire, a travel agency! Of course it's in Hotwire's interest for people to get more vacation.

I have never had a job (other than "temp" positions) that did not give at least two weeks vacation a year. Nor have I ever been discouraged from taking vacation. When DH worked for a small start-up, his boss looked askance when he took a week off, but he (boss) got over it. I think the boss thought everyone was as invested in this business as he was. I think DH set a precedent for that company, and enabled others to take vacation as well. In jobs he's had with mid-size to large companies, he's never had an issue with taking time off. In fact, engineering jobs tend to be extremely flexible with employees.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 PM

59,034 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
So, if Europeans should have to pay 60% of their income in taxes, we should also?
Get a life.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:55 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Shoot go in welfare get food stamps a phone and free Obama care and take life as a vacation

Old 10-15-2013, 01:19 PM

123 posts, read 227,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Michael Duke has a salary of only $20.7 million.
Doesn't matter

Old 10-15-2013, 01:21 PM

123 posts, read 227,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then get an education, and work your way out of entry level positions. My fiancee has been with her company for 10 years. She gets 80+ days off a year including holidays.
You work to get to that level, you don't just walk in and demand it for a mail sorter job.
What is the name of company she works for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies