Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:48 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,362,796 times

Advertisements

Dolly Madison (James Madison's wife) planted the Rose Garden. During World War I, Woodrow Wilson directed the gardeners to replace it with a "Victory" (vegetable) garden. Legend has it that Dolly's ghost appeared and scared the crap out of the gardeners, and the Rose Garden was spared.

Off topic, I know, but interesting.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:50 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
White house vegetable gardens date back to the early 1800's. FDR made much ado about the " victory garden" to encourage the people to grow their own.

The current garden is the most ambitious. Most of what's grown is donated to soup kitchens and food bank organizations.

White House Vegetable Garden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most private vegetable gardens in the U.S. go to the squirrels/raccoons this time of year.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:50 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,154,814 times
Hey OP...I find this tidbit so much more amusing....

...the number of vulnerable Republican House seats in 2014 has jumped from 21 to 29 since last week -- due to the shutdown.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Her garden is just BS for show. This is the Obama way just BS for show.
Cept that most of what's grown is donated to soup kitchens and food banks.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Her garden is just BS for show. This is the Obama way just BS for show.
No matter how one feels about the FLOTUS's garden, one has to admit that is much more appetizing than the right wing's field of sour grapes.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
...and is feeding the needy something that those on the right find noble or commendable or for that matter...necessary? Really now.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,242,292 times
If the First lady would like a garden that is fine by me. Many Americans have a garden. Most Americans don't have gardeners paid in Tax dollars to tend the garden. If the garden is to large for her to tend perhaps she should have went smaller. For the garden to be a wreck in just 2 short weeks one has to wonder if reports are exaggerated. 1500 sq. ft which is about the same size as mine. Mine requires a a couple hours a week to keep up with. 2 children and mom should be able to manage it. It is reported that it only cost $180.00 to plant. Expensive but not a terrible sum for the tax payer. Then some reality it has also been reported that it took 5 men to dig the garden and set it up. As millionaires the Obama's can certainly afford to foot the bill. I wonder if Michelle told Obama that it would cost about the same as a cellphone bill?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:02 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,414,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Squirrels go nuts for First Lady’s garden in shutdown | New York Post

LOL So let me get this straight. We are actually paying for tax payer funded gardeners?!?!

1. Has this Admin cut back on anything within their Admin? Parties, gardens, vacations.... Economy hasnt been good, Americans have had to make sacrifices, yet what sacrifices have they made?

2. If her garden is in trouble, why doesnt her lazy azz get out there and do something about it? Whatsamatter, too much real work for you?

I guess we shouldnt be shocked. This is the Obama Admin, where its perfectly fine to party, see the world, not go through the budget as promised...all at our expense. And even worse, the media could care less and wont point out the hypocrisy and failed promises.
Who do you think cuts all the lawns, kills the weeds, plants the flowers and prunes the trees of all our public property in Washington D.C.?

Did you think all that work just happened by magic? Our government has always employed gardeners, from the first beginnings. Who else would do it? The painters? The plumbers? We employ folks who work full time in those occupations too, taking care of our public buildings and spaces.

Michelle and her girls work regularly in her garden plot, which is no larger than the ones many folks I know have. Of course the White House gardeners do some of the work! The First Lady of the United States as a few more pressing responsibilities as Hostess of the Nation than most ladies do, so her time spent in her garden is sometimes limited.

Lots of our past Presidents and their wives loved to garden. There were times when the White House gardens were much larger than they are now, and guess what? The all were attended to by professional gardeners who work only on the White House grounds.

Do you actually WANT the White House grounds to look like a weed patch? Seriously? Or the National Mall to look like a jungle?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:02 PM

30,314 posts, read 23,789,660 times
I am in disagreement with a few here. I'm just not seeing how this is a big deal that the White House garden has gardeners.

???

And I also don't think it's a good idea to be dragging the First Lady through the mud. I really, seriously, very much so despise that thing she's married to, but she doesn't have anything to do with it. It's a garden...at the White House. You didn't think it would have paid gardeners? I mean...really?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,988,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Just more proof it's a BS garden..... I grow a garden and i fight for my plants I kill insects insect eggs and varmints that would take more than their fair share. My wife and i grow this to eat and to know what it is we eat. it serves us from harvest to past the next harvest for some plants.

The WH garden is just for show and 'she' cares not a whit about it. My garden feeds 3.... her garden might feed 3 such a big deal and a total waste of resources. It's all BS! for show..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies