Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:54 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
OP, are you just trying to distract us from the utter contempt and disregard 60% of the country has towards the Republicans right now?
So you believe everything the mainstream *cough* leftist *cough* media tells you to believe.... of course it MUST be the Republican's fault...MSNBC-CNN-Huffington Post...told us so!

Republicans have been the ones who have brought bill after negotiating bill to the table to have the Dems and Obama snub their noses at them and act like petulant teenagers. Learn to look beyond what the biased media outlets tell you and actually start thinking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
obamas poll numbers mean nothing. he isnt running.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
So you believe everything the mainstream *cough* leftist *cough* media tells you to believe.... of course it MUST be the Republican's fault...MSNBC-CNN-Huffington Post...told us so!

Republicans have been the ones who have brought bill after negotiating bill to the table to have the Dems and Obama snub their noses at them and act like petulant teenagers. Learn to look beyond what the biased media outlets tell you and actually start thinking...
People like you need to be imprisoned in a library.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM

23,846 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Well!

A Fox News poll shows the president with low approval numbers.

shocking!
It's not a Fox poll. It's a Gallup poll.

Read much, skoro? Free tip: It helps if you look at ALL the words.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's not a Fox poll. It's a Gallup poll.

Read much, skoro? Free tip: It helps if you look at ALL the words.
Take a look at the webpage the OP linked to.

But by all means, continue to microwhine.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The "Democrats got 1.7 million more votes" meme is a fallacy that keeps getting repeated by the ignorant.

House Democratic candidates got "1.7 million more votes" largely because of the redistricting process that effectively corralled more Democrats into already-solidly-Democratic districts. IN other words, Democratic candidates got more votes from DEMOCRATS because there were MORE DEMOCRATS in their districts than in previous years. That DOES NOT signify that American's wanted the House controlled by Democrats. It merely signifies that more Democrats are crammed into districts they've long held to begin with. Which means that a Democratic candidate will get more Democratic votes.

It's called "packing" and it's nothing new in our democracy.

If you don't believe me, feel free to google it yourself. Either way, it's a fallacy and it keeps getting repeated out of sheer ignorance.
Huh?

In the 2012 house elections, the Democrats got 59.9 million total votes. The Republicans got 58.5.

59.9 > 58.5.

At least in the world that I inhabit.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Huh?

In the 2012 house elections, the Democrats got 59.9 million total votes. The Republicans got 58.5.

59.9 > 58.5.

At least in the world that I inhabit.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is.
My point is that liberals have been throwing around the idea that American's actually wanted a Democratic majority in the house...and use as their evidence that Democrats received 1.7 million votes than Republicans. This is a fallacy, as I explained above.

Below is the quote that I responded to....which is probably the 50th fallacious reference to the "1.7 million more votes" i've seen on this forum....the inference being that the 1.7 million more votes would have tossed the House to Democrats had there not been redistricting. I decided its time to put a stop to the ignorance because redistricting and those 1.7 million more votes would NOT have put Democrats in the majority.

Quote:
Oh, well. I suppose when you can't win the Presidency, can't win the Senate, can only win the House because of gerrymandering (case in point - in 2012, Democratic House candidates got 1.7 million more votes than Republican House candidates),

Old 10-15-2013, 10:13 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
The "Democrats got 1.7 million more votes" meme is a fallacy that keeps getting repeated by the ignorant.

House Democratic candidates got "1.7 million more votes" largely because of the redistricting process that effectively corralled more Democrats into already-solidly-Democratic districts. IN other words, Democratic candidates got more votes from DEMOCRATS because there were MORE DEMOCRATS in their districts than in previous years. That DOES NOT signify that American's wanted the House controlled by Democrats. It merely signifies that more Democrats are crammed into districts they've long held to begin with. Which means that a Democratic candidate will get more Democratic votes.

It's called "packing" and it's nothing new in our democracy.

If you don't believe me, feel free to google it yourself. Either way, it's a fallacy and it keeps getting repeated out of sheer ignorance.
Rarely have I read something more convoluted and utterly confused.

Bizarrely, you think that redistricting created more Democratic voters. Amazingly, you think concentrating Democratic voters in districts with very large Democratic majorities somehow increases Democratic votes as a whole. Impressively, you are utterly oblivious to the fact that when you move a Democratic voter from one district to another, it is zero-sum as to the national vote.

Clearly, someone blogged a bit of world-salad that you didn't even begin to understand, but since it sounded good to you (and gave you something, anything, to cling to against the cold hard reality of the 2012 election), you are regurgitating it here.

I bet a year ago, you were all over that poll-unskewer guy, too, weren't you?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
My point is that liberals have been throwing around the idea that American's actually wanted a Democratic majority in the house...and use as their evidence that Democrats received 1.7 million votes than Republicans. This is a fallacy, as I explained above.
So more people voted for the Democrats than Republicans means people don't want a Democrat majority in your world?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
obamas poll numbers mean nothing. he isnt running.
This ^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies