Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There was no solution.
There is a solution but it's not a good one. Government will always grow in power and size until a catastrophic event happens. That's the only thing that will stop the growth of NSA and the rest of our bloated government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM

3,938 posts, read 5,073,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I'm getring tired of people merely complaining about the NSA...

It's time to bring in some fresh talent that can solve this.
Some of us have been doing a lot more than just complaining and if you want to too then I suggest joining the Restore the Fourth movement.

Here are our desires:

1) Force Dianne Feinstein to resign her position as head of the Senate Intelligence Committee. She's not only shrugging off her responsibility of providing meaningful oversight but she's now actually become an apologist for the NSA.

2) Demand that head of the House Intelligence Committee Rep. Mike Rogers relinquish his position too. He lied to other members of the House to get them to extend the Patriot Act.

3) Fire Director of National Intelligence James Clapper for lying to Congress; likewise with Director of NSA General Keith Alexander who is willfully trampling the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution.

If we do these things then maybe we can restore our liberty and privacy by letting our elected officials know that we won't tolerate anything less.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is a solution but it's not a good one. Government will always grow in power and size until a catastrophic event happens. That's the only thing that will stop the growth of NSA and the rest of our bloated government.
I was responding to a poster about the book, in the book there is no solution. Have you read 1984? Don't want to give too much away.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 PM

3,938 posts, read 5,073,489 times
Share this short highly educational video with your friends and family to bring them up to speed on how the US has become an Orwellian nightmare.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I was responding to a poster about the book, in the book there is no solution. Have you read 1984? Don't want to give too much away.
Yes, I read it back in the 1970s.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, I read it back in the 1970s.
And now you get to actually LIVE it! Ain't life grand? Books into movies and now books into movies into real life!
Aren't we sooo special?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Share this short highly educational video with your friends and family to bring them up to speed on how the US has become an Orwellian nightmare.

Good video.

Snowden is a national hero. We should start a drive to put a statue of him on the Washington Mall.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Some of us have been doing a lot more than just complaining and if you want to too then I suggest joining the Restore the Fourth movement.

Here are our desires:

1) Force Dianne Feinstein to resign her position as head of the Senate Intelligence Committee. She's not only shrugging off her responsibility of providing meaningful oversight but she's now actually become an apologist for the NSA.

2) Demand that head of the House Intelligence Committee Rep. Mike Rogers relinquish his position too. He lied to other members of the House to get them to extend the Patriot Act.

3) Fire Director of National Intelligence James Clapper for lying to Congress; likewise with Director of NSA General Keith Alexander who is willfully trampling the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution.

If we do these things then maybe we can restore our liberty and privacy by letting our elected officials know that we won't tolerate anything less.
to be honest with you, that isnt even a good start, just the first baby steps to a start. what we need to do to restore our liberties, is clean out the federal government from top to bottom. get rid of everyone that has been there for more than two years for federal employees, regardless of department, and get rid of every elected official that has been there for more than 12 years, and set term limits to that amount of time. and no more of this, well i served for some time in the house, now i will run for the senate stuff. it needs to be real term limits, meaning you get 12 years in congress TOTAL, and then you are out. you could run for president afterwards, but otherwise you are done at the federal level. and none of this nonsense of being hired on to work as a lobbyist, or to work in ANY government job EVER again. you are done, its time to leave and go away.

only then can we even start to undo the damage that has been done to our liberties and privacy. we then need to do the same thing at the state level as well as the local level. this is the only way to reduce the corruption and abuse in government. in fact we should also set up the system to where you cant work for the government for more than ten years in a non elected position, except for the military where experience really does matter. and yes that does include judges as well.

by the way, orwell was in an era that government collecting data on its people was already in full force, and technology was changing fairly rapidly, so it was fairly easy for someone with imagination to predict what would happen in the future.

now if you really want to see someone with real foresight, check out the writings of jules verne. he predicted nuclear powered submarines and a mission to the moon long before those things were even thought possible. granted there were things he got wrong, especially with the moon mission, but in the main he was quite accurate.

Last edited by rbohm; 10-16-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 12:56 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
LOL, there was spying back in 1948. He just imagined spying on steroids. And life usually mimics fiction, especially science fiction as it inspires people IRL.

Love "1984." It and "A Brave New World" are two of my favorite older science fiction books.

And it was fiction. Of course it didn't offer solutions. Both of these books serve as warnings more than having the answers to the issues presented within their covers.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:00 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I'm getring tired of people merely complaining about the NSA...

It's time to bring in some fresh talent that can solve this.
The only way to "solve" the spying issues regarding NSA and similar to those in 1984 is to de-plug and un-wire ourselves from technology because it will always be abused.

No guns or 4th amendment rights or Diane Feinstein tactics with stop people from being invaded by technology. The only way is to "live off the grid." And not many of us are willing to do it. I think about it, but then I realize I'd rather be comfortable and somewhat lazy than do everything myself and not have the conveniences of technology.

I figure everyone else is similar to me because the answer to these questions are very simple. Go live on a mountain somewhere without electricity where no one knows you're there and you will solve the outrage you have on someone spying on you since no one will know you exist or where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies