Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep, if the plan boehner put up is so good, why dont democrats get behind it? there are enough in the house that unless the republicans vote entirely in lock step, they can help get it passed. but perhaps that is asking too much from a bunch of partisan hacks on either side of the isle.
This was the House plan this afternoon.....they were seeing if there were enough votes to get it for a vote.

The bill that was pulled because of flagging support would have reopened the government until Dec. 15, lifted the debt ceiling until Feb. 7 and force everyone from the president to Capitol Hill staffers to pay more for their health insurance.

Read more: House vote pulled, chaos continues - POLITICO.com

The Dems in the House objected to the last part mostly and the shorter time of govt being open. If I recall too....wording would be in there that the Treasury dept would not be able use extraordinary measures like now.

The Senate version was close but would have funding thru Jan 15th.....same debt limit date....and no health care or treasury dept parts in it. From what I read late this eve it seems the Dem Senators would forfeit the idea of dropping that union health fee thing (sorry dont know much about that)....

So in reality pretty close....but before the vote occurred.....several ultra conservative groups (Heritage Foundation being one) sent out info telling the members of the house to not vote for the house plan.

So it seems at some point. the Senate bill will likely pass and then get sent to the house, where it will be interesting to see if Boehner put it up for a vote or adds back some stuff the more conservative house GOP members want.

That is my understanding of the events today..... I dont follow stuff that closely....but do enough as my job is federal and would love to get paid for working during this shutdown sometime....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
I see why the Republicans picked Boner to be the leader of the House, he is basically an empty suit for them to push around.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I see why the Republicans picked Boner to be the leader of the House, he is basically an empty suit for them to push around.
Boehner is more of a spokesman than what we would consider a leader, and defers to the will of the Republican caucus before he makes his moves. I think it's a good arrangement for a caucus that's really two or three parties under one roof, and it enables the Republicans to find their own path instead of just taking orders and cues from one man without regard for substance or conscience, which is what the Democrats seem to be doing. A big component, however, is that unless he lets the caucus work its will, the number who want new leadership will be more than sufficient to deny him the 218 votes he needs to retain the Speakership. In case you didn't notice, he barely squeaked through earlier this year. Although no one admits it, it's essentially a form of coalition government in the House of Representatives.

Last edited by Patricius Maximus; 10-15-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Boehner is more of a spokesman than what we would consider a leader, and defers to the will of the Republican caucus before he makes his moves. I think it's a good arrangement for a caucus that's really two or three parties under one roof, and it enables the Republicans to find their own path instead of just taking orders and cues from one man without regard for substance or conscience, which is what the Democrats seem to be doing. A big component, however, is that unless he lets the caucus work its will, the number who want new leadership will be more than sufficient to deny him the 218 votes he needs to retain the Speakership. In case you didn't notice, he barely squeaked through earlier this year. Although no one admits it, it's essentially a form of coalition government in the House of Representatives.
Like I said, Boner is basically an empty suit.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:28 AM

229 posts, read 163,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
No, no it doesn't. I hate to make the simile but the country's credit rating is closest akin to your credit score. You can have a lot of credit debt but be able to pay low interest on it while maintaining a near perfect because you have never been late and have the high income to make the payments.

Your ability to get that credit at a cheap interest rate and people's willingness to give you the additional credit has less to do with how much you've spent as it does that your ability to make the payments.

Do you know why our credit rating got dropped last time. Spending. not default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies