Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
We should not stand for the method of operation that has not become commonplace in DC.

I don't care who you are or which political party you align yourself with. Letting ANY minority coalition say, "I don't like the way the legislation turned out for my side; I'm going to threaten the nation with default and force hundreds of thousands of people out of their jobs until I get my way" is bad for democracy.

That's what elections are for, people. There are winners and there are losers. That's where the "voice of the people" is heard. If it's a law, it's a law until it is repealed. You don't have to like it, but you do have to respect it if you want to be a participant in a democratic system.

The Constitution rightfully wanted division of power and checks and balances, but I doubt that the Founding Fathers would have contemplated that a few people would use the threat of default and government shutdown to sabotage approved law when they can't come up with the votes.

This can't be the way forward. It's not right now when Republicans don't like that they lost fair and square on Obamacare. And it won't be right one day in the future when Democrats lose fair and square on taxes or gun control. You have to respect outcomes, even if you don't like them. That is fundamental to our system of government.

We need to come up with a way to amend the Constitution that respects checks and balances but doesn't allow a small minority to tyrannize the nation with this degree of economic harm when they don't get their way.
we clearly don't live in a democracy, and never have. also, if the founders had their way, the worthless federal employees you're throwing a pity party for would be unemployed and in a ditch where they belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
The founders never imagined our Money Printer in Chief.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:34 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Just more whimpering from the weft. The world stock markets will finish the day more or less where they were shortly before the DC drama began and the market volatility jumped. Just profit taking opportunity for some.

Btw, the loyal opposition, usually from the back bench in England and the minority party in the U.S., is a fine old tradition of democracy. Only those unseasoned, unawares or too self-absorbed do not know this.

Oh, and Chicky, the sky ain't falling.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
I'm a conservative, and I support fiscal conservatives, but i'm very put off by the brinkmanship as well. Typically, i'm a "stand your ground and beat'm up" kind of guy. But to be honest, I believe the GOP severely miscalculated what they could achieve with the current round of brinkmanship. I admit that I held out hope that maybe they were right and I was wrong in disagreeing with their tactics. But it's abundently clear that what they achieved wouldn't even fill up a thumbnails worth of braggadocio.

I'll admit, forthrightly, that the GOP got their asses handed to them in this battle. Now it's time to focus on the larger war associated with the next elections.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I agree with your assessment except for two points:

1) Democrats didn't win "fair and square" on Obamacare. They used parliamentary reconciliation, which is normally reserved for tax and spending bills, while simultaneously arguing that Obamacare is not a tax, while also buying votes via the Louisiana Purchase and Cornhusker Kickback because even moderate Democrats didn't like the bill. They then passed the bill without one single Republican vote. That's not "fair and square" by any stretch of the imagination.
Actually, they used reconciliation to amend it. The amendments pretty much all had to do with subsidy levels and taxes, which didn't violate the Byrd Rule. The original passing as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient...Act#Background

Quote:
On December 23, the Senate voted 60–39 to end debate on the bill: a cloture vote to end the filibuster by opponents. The bill then passed by a vote of 60–39 on December 24, 2009, with all Democrats and two independents voting for, and all Republicans voting against (except for Jim Bunning, who did not vote).[101] The bill was endorsed by the AMA and AARP.[102]
Conservatives like to blur the history, of course. And it doesn't matter if it was passed on party lines. They had the 60 votes to push it through, Republicans did not have enough to oppose it. That's what comes out of elections.

2) I do not support a Constitutional Amendment that debilitates the minority. That's called tyranny.[/quote]
The minority has a voice and has power; that power should not include threatening the nation with default if they can't get the majority to do what they want. That's called idiocy, as far as a system of government is concerned.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
we clearly don't live in a democracy, and never have. also, if the founders had their way, the worthless federal employees you're throwing a pity party for would be unemployed and in a ditch where they belong.
Pi**ing on your fellow citizens. Pretty much what I would expect from you. Are you proud of this character trait of yours?

Then there's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I could think of much worse things to say about him, but I am a gentleman.
I shudder to think what you consider not a gentleman.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
George Washington and his buds went through much worse.

Don't like it, don't post here.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:56 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The founders never imagined our Money Printer in Chief.
Yeah, Bush was not even a glint in anyone's eye way back then.

Quote:
Mr. Bush, tax cuts and war spending were the biggest policy drivers of the swing from projected surpluses to deficits from 2002 to 2009.

In January 2009, just before President Obama took office, the budget office projected a $1.2 trillion deficit for 2009 and deficits in subsequent years, based on continuing Mr. Bush’s policies and the effects of recession. Mr. Obama’s policies in 2009 and 2010, including the stimulus package, added to the deficits in those years but are largely temporary.

First, the Bush tax cuts have had a huge damaging effect. If all of them expired as scheduled at the end of 2012, future deficits would be cut by about half, to sustainable levels.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/op...ay/24sun4.html
Bush ran up most of the Debt and deficit-CBO

Old 10-16-2013, 02:02 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,194 times
I could have sworn there was a U.S. President that warned against this. That warned against getting involved in other countries problems and dividing ourselves into political parties.

I wonder who that was? Hmm...

Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
We should not stand for the method of operation that has not become commonplace in DC.

I don't care who you are or which political party you align yourself with. Letting ANY minority coalition say, "I don't like the way the legislation turned out for my side; I'm going to threaten the nation with default and force hundreds of thousands of people out of their jobs until I get my way" is bad for democracy.

That's what elections are for, people. There are winners and there are losers. That's where the "voice of the people" is heard. If it's a law, it's a law until it is repealed. You don't have to like it, but you do have to respect it if you want to be a participant in a democratic system.

The Constitution rightfully wanted division of power and checks and balances, but I doubt that the Founding Fathers would have contemplated that a few people would use the threat of default and government shutdown to sabotage approved law when they can't come up with the votes.

This can't be the way forward. It's not right now when Republicans don't like that they lost fair and square on Obamacare. And it won't be right one day in the future when Democrats lose fair and square on taxes or gun control. You have to respect outcomes, even if you don't like them. That is fundamental to our system of government.

We need to come up with a way to amend the Constitution that respects checks and balances but doesn't allow a small minority to tyrannize the nation with this degree of economic harm when they don't get their way.
Our Founding Fathers would have handled this situation with pistol duels. There would have been a little talking, then someone would have called their political opponent a "liar", then someone would have been shot.

Politics And Pistols: Dueling In America | History Detectives | PBS

5 Famous Duels From American History | The Art of Manliness

The American Experience | The Duel | Dueling, American Style
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies