Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:00 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times

Advertisements

If you want to give those store employees Thanksgiving off, do not patronize stores on Thanksgiving.
Don't line up before daylight on Black Friday. Let those same employees have a good nights sleep.
But we know that these things won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 06:03 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
look for volunteers to work. give them double time, or triple time. do whatever it takes to have people come into work. also, try to have 4 hour shifts, so people can schedule dinner around work.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times
We can get the illegal aliens to work on the holidays.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It would be unconstitutional (i.e. the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment) for there to be federal blue laws. So no such restrictions at the federal level. As it should be.
I don't see anything in the first amendment that would prohibit Congress from telling businesses when they can operate.

Please explain.

And by the way, they find ways to get around almost every other amendment, so I'm sure they could make it legal to have federal blue laws.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:11 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefromstatefarm2414 View Post
Should stores be open on thanksgiving? When Black Friday comes, big box stores open on thanksgiving to increase profits. For example, Walmart, Toys R Us, Target, Macy's, Sears, JCPenny, Best Buy, etc are all opening at 8:00PM. And employees must be there early, like 3-4:00. Movie theaters and open all day! Grocery stores are open until noon. So, should stores have the right to be open on thanksgiving or be closed.
If this is a free country, then the store owners can decide when or if they want to open their doors. Why is this even worthy of discussion?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Everything changes. It may have been the case that everything closed down on TD years ago, but that's not the case nowadays.... at least not where I live. The idea that everyone has to hunker down on TD and have a big feast and watch football has changed. Stores are open and those that want to-- there are actually people that don't observe the tradition of the big feast and the football games --have other options. It seems to work ok. Even our gym opens from early morning till mid afternoon. I think they realize that the dinner/games part of the day doesn't have to take up the whole day and people want to do other things.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:11 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If this is a free country, then the store owners can decide when or if they want to open their doors. Why is this even worthy of discussion?
But they can't. Government frequently tells store owners when they can open their stores.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:10 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
It looks like Kmart just announced that they will open at 6am on Thanksgiving this year. I see this is a decision fueled by greed, and nothing more. Is anything sacred anymore?

Customers to Kmart: "Shame on you" - Nov. 5, 2013

Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
If customers don't show up, they will not be opening next year.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
It looks like Kmart just announced that they will open at 6am on Thanksgiving this year. I see this is a decision fueled by greed, and nothing more. Is anything sacred anymore?

Customers to Kmart: "Shame on you" - Nov. 5, 2013

Back when I was 19 I worked for one of their Super Centers which was open 24 hours. The only day of the year that they closed was Christmas Day. And yes in the 2 or 3 years I was there I occasionally had to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve. Did it suck? Yes. But it was my choice to work there. a couple of years after that I worked for a smaller local retailer that was open EVERY day of the year. Yes including Christmas! Again, I occasionally had to work on Christmas Day (only 4 hours). Did it suck? Not as bad, because I was usually out by noon. But again, it was my choice to work there. Fortunately I now work for a company that is closed on those big holidays. We're even closed the day after Thanksgiving this year, and have been closed on Christmas Eve, and New Years Eve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies