Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:29 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
It's ok. I get it. you like your gilded cage. Just stop insisting everyone else must be in one too. It pleases some people to live in tyranny, as it relieves them of the need to think or decide or plan or wish. All they have to do, is then just live empty, for-the-moment, meaningless lives.

Again, it's ok for you to want that for yourself. You, however, have NO RIGHT IN THE UNIVERSE, to force such tyranny on me.
Wow. Is this what people thought when mandatory car insurance was implemented?

It was 'tyranny'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack office View Post
Sorry to ask but this is my first post: what is a "leftist loon"?

And as far as I know my health insurance rates are unaffected by the ACA.
The polar opposite of a right wing loon...they are both loons.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack office View Post
Sorry to ask but this is my first post: what is a "leftist loon"?
Assuming you are asking an honest question and are not trolling... It's a derogatory term for progressive/liberal people. There is a lot of name-calling on this forum by both sides of the political aisle.
No, it is an accurately descriptive term for a person who still believes that completely silly leftist plans will actually work... AFTER being shown why they will not, and finding he cannot refute what he was shown.

"Loon" is short for lunatic, or an insane person... which someone who has exhibitied the above behavior, clearly must be.

It's not derogatory, merely an accurate description based on their own demonstrated behavior.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:58 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Not really, he is paying $689 to save $3750.

??? WTF ???

He is paying $689 for a LOW PROBABILITY of saving $3750.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Obamacare was always intended to be a Single-Payer System. The final solution will be medicare for everybody. He told his union buddies that it may take 10 to 15 years to get to a single-payer system. He couldn't do it German style and just impose a 15 % health tax on employees and employers, he wouldn't have survived the first term.
Now the beneficiaries will get used to the sugar and Single-Payer is here to stay for good.

I have to give President Obama credit, he will have a significant place in the history books. He will be the President who transformed America from a Constitutional Republic into a European-Style Social Democracy.
He will be right up there with Woodrow Wilson, FDR and LBJ.

Obamacare is going to be a milestone of American Social Enginnering just like the Federal Income Tax (Wilson), SSI (FDR) and Medicare (LBJ).
Huh? Obamacare is a very close approximation of a plan proposed by conservatives 20 odd years ago to STOP single payer insurance. If ACA fails, then single payer is the likely follow on. If ACA is successful, then the private market model will be preserved.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I just found out today that my payments will almost double, also.

Previously, I had the very cheapest health coverage my company offered. It is no longer available now.

So, instead of paying $883 per year for coverage (for myself only) I will be paying $1,572 per year.

HOWEVER, my previous insurance had a $5,000/year deductible. I rarely go to the doctor, and just had basically catastrophic coverage.

With the new insurance I have to get, my deductible is only $1,250. Big difference from $5,000. No way would I ever meet that $5k deductible in a year, but I might meet the $1,250 if I start going to the doc, like I SHOULD be doing.

So, overall, I have a much better deal, now.
lolol.

What a hilarious post!

Thanks for the giggle.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:

It makes me laugh when I read posts from people saying getting health insurance through the ACA is 'way more expensive' (thanks Obama..lol) than what they get at their place of employment. OF COURSE IT IS! It wasn't meant for people who get it through their jobs!
You have a vivid imagination. I've never seen anyone say that.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? WTF ???

He is paying $689 for a LOW PROBABILITY of saving $3750.
Not really. At 62 years old, my chances of needing a doctor are increasing. As I said previously, I have not been to a doctor for many years. That does not mean I haven't NEEDED to see the doc, just that my deductible was so high, I would be basically paying for every visit and/or prescription out of pocket, so I just didn't go.

I know I suffer from hypertension; I have no idea if other ailments could be present that should be taken care of. With the lower deductible, I just may start finding out! (and getting medical help)

Old 10-18-2013, 11:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times
Quote:
Not really. At 62 years old, my chances of needing a doctor are increasing. As I said previously, I have not been to a doctor for many years. That does not mean I haven't NEEDED to see the doc, just that my deductible was so high, I would be basically paying for every visit and/or prescription out of pocket, so I just didn't go.

I know I suffer from hypertension; I have no idea if other ailments could be present that should be taken care of. With the lower deductible, I just may start finding out! (and getting medical help)

If you couldn't afford to see a doctor before, how will you afford it now? You will have less money per month and still need to pay $1250 out of pocket before your health insurance kicks in.

We have been on a high deductible plan for many years. You can go to the doctor about once every other month for the $689 premium difference. It costs us between $45-$70 per visit, depending on the doctor.

This will benefit you if you have something major happens this year, but for regular visits to the doctor, if you couldn't afford it before, you should be able to afford it even less now.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
If you couldn't afford to see a doctor before, how will you afford it now? You will have less money per month and still need to pay $1250 out of pocket before your health insurance kicks in.

We have been on a high deductible plan for many years. You can go to the doctor about once every other month for the $689 premium difference. It costs us between $45-$70 per visit, depending on the doctor.

This will benefit you if you have something major happens this year, but for regular visits to the doctor, if you couldn't afford it before, you should be able to afford it even less now.
I don't know where you live, but in New Jersey I can only dream of a doctor visit costing $45-75!

Just to see the doc for a blood test when I had Lyme disease cost $300 (doc + lab).

I am more comfortable with the new plan; I guess that's all that matters. To each his own. When someone is young and healthy, the high deductible makes sense, of course.

BTW, I could afford to go, but I've never been much of a 'run to the doc' person. However, I'm beginning to realize that I'm not young anymore...gosh darn it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies