Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:12 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times

Advertisements

Daily Kos: Obamacare will double my monthly premium (according to Kaiser)

Love this paragraph.

Quote:
I am canceling insurance for us and I am not paying any ****ing penalty. What the hell kind of reform is this?
This made my day, he had to change the headline from "What the Hell is this" to "Obamacare will double my monthly premium (according to Kaiser)".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
I just found out today that my payments will almost double, also.

Previously, I had the very cheapest health coverage my company offered. It is no longer available now.

So, instead of paying $883 per year for coverage (for myself only) I will be paying $1,572 per year.

HOWEVER, my previous insurance had a $5,000/year deductible. I rarely go to the doctor, and just had basically catastrophic coverage.

With the new insurance I have to get, my deductible is only $1,250. Big difference from $5,000. No way would I ever meet that $5k deductible in a year, but I might meet the $1,250 if I start going to the doc, like I SHOULD be doing.

So, overall, I have a much better deal, now.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:32 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

Previously, I had the very cheapest health coverage my company offered. It is no longer available now.

So, instead of paying $883 per year for coverage (for myself only) I will be paying $1,572 per year.

HOWEVER, my previous insurance had a $5,000/year deductible. I rarely go to the doctor, and just had basically catastrophic coverage.

With the new insurance I have to get, my deductible is only $1,250. Big difference from $5,000. No way would I ever meet that $5k deductible in a year, but I might meet the $1,250 if I start going to the doc, like I SHOULD be doing.

DO you have a much better deal now?

Did your copays increase? Prescription prices increase?

You don't state your age, but if you are young, you shouldn't be meeting deductibles anyway. My 22 and 24 year-old kids go to the doctor only when necessary, and that's been twice.....in the last 5 years. Sure, if something happens that requires you spending more than $1250, you'll be okay. But I don't buy auto insurance with the thought I'm going to have an accident.

Essentially, you took a pay cut of $689 a year with your new insurance. What if the rates increase next year to $1790 a year? Once again, another pay cut.

Still convinced you have a much better deal?

Old 10-16-2013, 02:33 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:

ETA: sorry, misread your post. Thought it was monthly, not yearly.

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 10-16-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 02:37 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You realize that you are paying $8,268 more per year to *save* $3750 on your deductible. How is paying almost $5000 more per year a good deal?
Not really, he is paying $689 to save $3750.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:37 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post

Love this paragraph.

Quote:
I am canceling insurance for us and I am not paying any ****ing penalty. What the hell kind of reform is this?
This made my day, he had to change the headline from "What the Hell is this" to "Obamacare will double my monthly premium (according to Kaiser)".
People used to say, "A conservative is a liberal who just got mugged."

Now they'll have to start saying, "A conservative is a liberal who just signed up for Obamacare."

.....which is basically the same thing.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:

Love this paragraph.

Hope and change my friends hope and change....

Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:

Love this paragraph.

Awww, KOS, the cheerleader for the extremist left, feels the pinch of that which he supported?

Boo f-en hoo, KOS. Hope it hurts.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:42 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
DO you have a much better deal now?

Did your copays increase? Prescription prices increase?

You don't state your age, but if you are young, you shouldn't be meeting deductibles anyway. My 22 and 24 year-old kids go to the doctor only when necessary, and that's been twice.....in the last 5 years. Sure, if something happens that requires you spending more than $1250, you'll be okay. But I don't buy auto insurance with the thought I'm going to have an accident.

Essentially, you took a pay cut of $689 a year with your new insurance. What if the rates increase next year to $1790 a year? Once again, another pay cut.

Still convinced you have a much better deal?
In my opinion that's one only an insurance actuary could answer. I never saw the inside of a hospital until I was 43 or so. However in the next 10 years I would guess I wracked up at least $100,000 in hospital bills and my son did the same. Now I am on a winning streak so you really don't know.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:42 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Not really, he is paying $689 to save $3750.

You're not "saving" $3750. You are limiting your exposure, perhaps, but you're not pocketing $3750.

A healthy person shouldn't hit that kind of deductible. I'm willing to bet that in the last 10 years, I haven't spent $3000 on my own health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies