Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:15 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,873,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No hardliners don't recognize facts. Look no further than this forum. hardliners prefer to allow others to tell them how to think. If hardliners cared about facts they would hold their own accountable.
We wouldn't have become an independent country if the hardliners lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,738,074 times
Idiot ideologues would think solutions and pragmatism are bad things, but then again they're idiots.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,227,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The center refuses to rely on facts or conviction, and instead focuses on how we feel during the process of arising to a conclusion rather than logic and what that conclusion really is. Centrism is the easy way out.
You are talking about Democrats and liberals.

Quote:
While I think the far-right and the far-left can come to agreements and wish they'd compromise more, I don't think centrists do this country any bit of good.
With no center there would be no compromise, just look at the teabaggers.

Quote:
Centrism is based on the premise that everything is a shade of grey and, believe it or not, is not ideologically pure enough. Here's a centrist approach: marriages for straight people and civil unions for gays. That's so middle-path and conciliatory. Thank god we stood by our convictions and fought for what we believe in.
1. Apparently you don't know what the center believes. The center has convictions, just not extreme points of view.
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Se...uireSurvey.pdf

2. The largest voting block is the center, ie. independents.
3. Civil unions weren't supported by Republicans and there was no legal argument for civil unions.
4. There was a legal argument on the basis on discrimination, for SSM.

Quote:
How about this centrist approach: "Well we really don't want to fight England , maybe we can just ask again politely. Heh, I mean we can't go to war."

Or we can fight a war against the biggest superpower in the world with a 5% chance of success to win our independence, which was pretty extreme for the time.
We would have had independence anyway.

Quote:
Centrists have never won. Centrism is boring. Centrism makes no good ideas, just combines bad ideas of both parties.
Boring is good. Boring is stable, predictable, and reliable. It sounds like you want anarchy and while anarchy is exciting, it isn't good for the country.

Quote:
Should right and left compromise? Yes, but I can do without centrism.
Then you won't have a functioning government. Isn't the gov't shutdown?

Old 10-16-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post
Just to clarify. Are you advocating that everyone ignore looking at all sides of issues and making decisions based on many factors? Would it be more appealing to you if we all read the same things, take them as gospel, and direct our lives in that direction? Ignore all information that does not support that view and stick to one, singular, clear and crisp ideology?

THAT would be boring.
I am advocating that left and right compromise, but that there's nothing wrong with holding extremes of opinion. Centrism as a philosophy is intellectually dull and simple, it's an easy path, and it really accomplishes nothing not just within politics, but outside it as well.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,167,491 times
Quote:
We wouldn't have become an independent country if the hardliners lost.
Only they weren't hardliners. They were reasonable people taking a stand against unreasonable demands.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Only they weren't hardliners. They were reasonable people taking a stand against unreasonable demands.
No. They were in an extreme minority. The center wanted to compromise with Britain.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I am advocating that left and right compromise, but that there's nothing wrong with holding extremes of opinion. Centrism as a philosophy is intellectually dull and simple, it's an easy path, and it really accomplishes nothing not just within politics, but outside it as well.
LOL hardliners take the easy path. darrrrr urrrrr uhmmmmm Da party said this so I gotta go with it.
But your party is doing the same thing as the other party.
Darrrrrr Yeah but at least my party blah blah blah.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
No. They were in an extreme minority. The center wanted to compromise with Britain.
Please, Britain was the most powerful nation on the planet at the time. People sought compromise because they believed Britain could not be defeated.
There is not one redeeming value to being a hardliner.
For example. The GOP claims that they are for cutting spending. Me too I am all for it. Care to explain why they don't?
The Dems claim they for cutting spending. me too, I am all for it. Care to explain why they don't?
The dems say they want to cut defense spending. By partisan support for buying tanks the Army didn't even want, or need.
They are the same beast.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Please, Britain was the most powerful nation on the planet at the time. People sought compromise because they believed Britain could not be defeated.
There is not one redeeming value to being a hardliner.
Backtracking now. Simply put. The people who wanted war with Britain were the hardliners, they were a minority. Period.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,845,163 times
OP has no clue how politics work. Politics doesn't work like talk radio does, herp all I need is me big guns and small brains de derp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies