Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times

Advertisements

It occurred to me that America has not elected a Republican that was a US Senator in the era since WW2.

F. D. Roosevelt ( D)
H. S. Truman ( D)
D.D. Eisenhower (R) Supreme Commander Allied Forces EU
J.F. Kennedy ( D)
L.B. Johnson ( D)
R.M. Nixon ( R) V.P. Eisenhower administration, US HoR, US Sen
G. R. Ford ( R) V.P. Nixon Appointed
J.E. Carter ( D)
R. Reagan ( R) Gov. California
G.H.W. Bush ( R) V.P. Reagan, US Congress
W. J. Clinton ( D)
G.W. Bush ( R) Gov. Texas
B. H. Obama (D)

There seems to be riff froming in the GOP between Rebublican Govenors and Legislators. Seems the Govenors are saying that they are the proven leaders. That the GOP Governors have to lead and do the day to day job of Running thier State's government, while GOP legislators just talk.

Do you believe a GOP govenor is a better choice for President than a Republican Congressional legislator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 06:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
I would take a governor over a senator any day.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:40 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Senators have always made bad presidents.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:42 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I would take a governor over a senator any day.
I'd take 535 random names from my old home town to be Congress... and a women from Alaska who fishes and hunts to be president.

And they would do so much better than the people who are there it would be awe-inspiring.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
It occurred to me that America has not elected a Republican that was a US Senator in the era since WW2.

F. D. Roosevelt ( D)
H. S. Truman ( D)
J.F. Kennedy ( D)
L.B. Johnson ( D)
J.E. Carter ( D)
W. J. Clinton ( D)
B. H. Obama (D)

There seems to be riff froming in the GOP between Rebublican Govenors and Legislators. Seems the Govenors are saying that they are the proven leaders. That the GOP Governors have to lead and do the day to day job of Running thier State's government, while GOP legislators just talk.

Do you believe a GOP govenor is a better choice for President than a Republican Congressional legislator?
Nixon was a senator. Bush I was in the House, so he too was a congessional legislator.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:

F. D. Roosevelt ( D)
H. S. Truman ( D)
J.F. Kennedy ( D)
L.B. Johnson ( D)
J.E. Carter ( D)
W. J. Clinton ( D)
B. H. Obama (D)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Nixon was a senator. Bush I was in the House, so he too was a congessional legislator.
yep, nixon was a senator, bush41 wasnt though. and i agree that senators make great campaigners, but generally lousy presidents compared to governors. and it isnt limited to republicans either, clinton was a governor and made a decent president, obama was a senator and is a lousy president.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:18 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:

F. D. Roosevelt ( D)
H. S. Truman ( D)
J.F. Kennedy ( D)
L.B. Johnson ( D)
J.E. Carter ( D)
W. J. Clinton ( D)
B. H. Obama (D)

No there's not. This is something you've made up in order to deflect from the horrific policies of the current administration.

Quote:
It doesn't matter. It's always about policy. Someday that will sink in. Until then the same mistakes will be made over and over again.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:21 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
What does that mean 'faired well'?

Oh, never mind. I think you mean 'fared well'.

My bad!

Old 10-22-2013, 12:23 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
I will take someone with executive experience over someone with legislative experience. Just look at our economy today...this is the product of an administration that has no real-world experience and only knows how to campaign and demagogue their opponents. They're very good at it, but the country is suffering.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:

F. D. Roosevelt ( D)
H. S. Truman ( D)
J.F. Kennedy ( D)
L.B. Johnson ( D)
J.E. Carter ( D)
W. J. Clinton ( D)
B. H. Obama (D)

You are only part right.

It isn’t just republicans that seem to shy away from "senators". It is all Americans.
There have been 2 Presidents who's only major credential was "Senator"
Warren G. Harding (Republican)
Barak H. Obama (Democrat)

However 16 Presidents were Senators before being elected to the highest office.
The 14 other men that became President and had previously served as Senators were also Vice Presidents, Governors or members of the House of Representatives.

Some time ago I looked at all presidents and what experience they had when elected President.
I considered the following as major political experience
General
Vice President
Senator
Governor
Secretary of State
House of Representatives
Speaker of the House
Senate Majority Leader

There are 2 men with “other experience”
Herbert Hoover’s only major experience was being Secretary of Commerse.
George H. W. Bush, in addition to being Vice President, and a member of congress, was Director of the CIA, US Ambassador to the UN, and Chief Liaison to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies