Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Isn't rightwing think tank an oxymoron?
"If reality wasn't so serious, liberalism would be mere comic relief for the thinking mind."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Why we know ObamaCare is creating a disaster - - - -

Physicians per 1,000 people statistics - Countries compared - NationMaster

• Physicians per capita
• USA ranks 52nd - 2.3 per 1,000 people
• Belarus has over twice as many - 4.55 per 1,000 people
• Cuba is ranked #2 - 5.91 per 1,000 people - almost THREE TIMES as many physicians per capita as the USA. Which might explain how Cuba can provide more inexpensive health care to more people.

Any massive increase in the number of patients without an increase in trained health care professionals will result in delays, triage and rationing.
Some countries have an excess of primary care physicians, the supply of doctors exceeds the demand for doctors. This is because anyone graduating from a university can go to medical school and such education is often paid for by government. It's an acute problem in Italy and Spain where governments are considering rationing medical school education.

Criteria for MD and licensing varies country to country, too.

The AMA has been criticized for years for rationing medical education in the U.S. Supply and demand for primary care physicians in the U.S. depends on region. Primary care in the U.S. has been increasingly performed by highly qualified Physician Assistants ( PAs) and Nurse Practitioners (NPs) with no compromise in quality. PA and NPS have been expanded to become the primary point of care at cancer treatment centers, too. All work under a physician's indirect supervision.

Given many MDs find it more profitable to operate pain clinics and dispense opioids to drug addicts, sell weight loss treatments to people looking for magic cures and operate out of motel rooms to dispense Suboxone to opioid/opiate addicts, I think we have more than enough MDs per capita to go around.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Medical care is rationed in every country, usually by government, the private market or a combination of the two.

Unlike other developed nations, the U.S, primarily rations medical care based on a person's ability to pay.
Insurers ration health care with co-pays and increasingly require people to have some skin in the game. This is not unique to the U.S.

The U.S. is also unique among affluent nations because it does not officially recognize a right to health care. Apart from the right to assistance in an emergency room, limited to stabilization, no one has the right to healthcare. No hospital or medical practice is required to accept /treat any patient who lacks insurance, is under inured or unable to pay for treatment , before or when rendered.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:46 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,540,936 times
Please state your credentials and what industry or organization you represent, 'middle aged mom'.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:00 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,078 times
Obamacare will eventually become a Single-Payer System. There are just to much flaws in this bill that the American people will beg for Single-Payer. Social Justice is here to stay. Forward!!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2013, 03:08 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,540,936 times
Obamacare, single payer, es macht nichts.

Reduce your income so you pay no federal taxes and leech.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
What an interesting piece of fiction. Are you a novelist, by any chance?

Or do you have citations and sources that are not rightwing think tanks?
Well, we know you are an Obama operative, don't we?

Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Not really.

It was passed in March 2010. The next congressional election was seven months later... and the American people kicked the Democrats out of their majority in the House, in numbers that haven't been seen in nearly a century. A similar turnover happened in the Senate... but since only 1/3 of the Senate was up for election, it didn't spread through that body.

And that was based only on RUMORS of what was in Obamacare, since the leftists were still carefully hiding it, delaying writing the 20,000 pages of regulations it came with, etc.

So I think we've already got a pretty reliable idea of what the American people think of it.

Now, hard numbers are finally coming out. Americans are expressing shock and outrage. And the next congressional elections, are in a year.
Man, the bots are out in force! They must be seriously scared, especially since the so-called "exchanges" don't work, and it is now reported that it may take years before they are fixed. If that is the case, I predict this will easily be repealed.

There are also serious security issues with the "exchanges." I sure wouldn't be signing up and providing any personal information.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Absolute, black and white, all or nothing thinking is common in young children. In an adult, it is often considered a cognitive distortion.

Healthcare evolves. Germany's national healthcare system is 135 years old. It has been reformed many, many times over the years. So will the ACA or whatever Act follows.

I have yet to hear that there is anything fundamentally wrong with the ACA, beyond the cost.
That's a factor of the for profit nature of corporate healthcare in the U.S. including the so-called not-for-profit healthcare systems. They invest $ billions in lobbies to sustain their interests.
For a Real Estate Consultant, you sure think you know a lot about psycology and human developement as well as health care.

Tell me, are you licensed to practice?

Old 10-17-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
[/b]

I am on my husband's employer's plan. Because he is >65 he will automatically qualify for Medicare if /when he retires. Assuming he does not work forever, I could find myself in the situation of having to buy an individual policy for myself. For this reason I am acutely aware of the costs and benefits associated with pre and post ACA healthcare insurance. I thought it possible that costs could double under ACA, given the benefits are substantially richer than any policy I could have purchased, pre ACA.

I have been surprised that my costs would be 35-50% less, under ACA, depending upon BCBS plan.
I do not qualify for a subsidy nor do I have any preexisting conditions. That I live in a highly competitive healthcare market may explain why my costs would be less.

My point here is that not everyone's premiums will go up.
I sincerely appreciate how the higher deductible plans are unattractive for some folk. In a worst case medical scenario, I would rather limit my exposure to a deductible than blowing through a low lifetime cap or being uninsured.
Very few of those who have actually been able to establish an account and review the plans available to them have reported their costs will go down. Damn few.

For fun, you might like to visit the Facebook page run by OFA. It's hilarious. Hardly anybody with positive commenmts. Most are extremely negative. Shock might be a word to descrcibe the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies