Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 08:35 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I bring it up in the context of the discussion, not in an attempt to explain your view. My point reveals the weakness of your position.
Ok - thanks for the vague nonanswer.

Again, why keep bringing up things unrelated to evolution in a discussion about evolution (and then attempt and use them to point out how others have bought into the hoax that is evolution)? To me, that just screams you don't know what evolution is.

And to what weakness in my position are you referring?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay...we evolved. From what?
The best current scientific evidence suggests our most recent evolutionary ancestor is Homo sapiens idaltu and that we diverged from them roughly 150,000 years ago.

Quote:
What created that which we evolved from?
Prior evolutionary divergence.

Last edited by hammertime33; 10-17-2013 at 08:51 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
“‎In modern physics, there is no such thing as nothing. Even in a perfect vacuum, pairs of virtual particles are constantly being created and destroyed. The existence of these particles is no mathematical fiction. Though they cannot be directly observed, the effects they create are quite real. The assumption that they exist leads to predictions that have been confirmed by experiment to a high degree of accuracy.” Richard Morris
And then someone can post Lawrence Krauss's ideas on "nothing."

Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber

Natural selection is about selection, is it
not? It assumes there where things, choices, to select from. Where did those
things come from? Where did DNA come from.
No, it most certainly does not.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 PM

57,242 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I believe that we were created simply because, well, here I sit.

Any more proof needed for you to believe that we were created?

Okay...we evolved. From what?

What created that which we evolved from?

Can't we even have the discussion?

Very, very few Christians are fundamentalists.
There are many different species that evolved over thousands of years into something quite different, why do you believe that man was created.

Do you believe that man preceded dinosaurs and other reptiles.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 PM

33,529 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
And then someone can post Lawrence Krauss's ideas on "nothing."
Here ya go....

Nothing can create something all the time due to the laws of quantum mechanics and it's - it's fantastically interesting. Lawrence M Krauss

Empty space is a boiling, bubbling brew of virtual particles that pop in and out of existence in a time scale so short that you can't even measure them. Lawrence M Krauss

I'll throw this one in free...

By no definition of any modern scientist is intelligent design science, and it's a waste of our students' time to subject them to it. Lawrence M Krauss

Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Here ya go....

Nothing can create something all the time due to the laws of quantum mechanics and it's - it's fantastically interesting. Lawrence M Krauss

Empty space is a boiling, bubbling brew of virtual particles that pop in and out of existence in a time scale so short that you can't even measure them. Lawrence M Krauss

I'll throw this one in free...

By no definition of any modern scientist is intelligent design science, and it's a waste of our students' time to subject them to it. Lawrence M Krauss
Is that from "A Universe From Nothing"? I read bits of it and it looks really good.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,829 times
Quote:
" To think the eye had evolved by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree." - Charles Darwin.

He also said his theory was "grievously hypothetical".

And he admitted he could not explain why the fossil record did not support his theory.
If you have to tell blatant quote-mined lies like those above to support your views, that doesn't say much about your views... or your integrity.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:25 AM

624 posts, read 939,281 times
Quote:
He is right. The lack of proof supporting evolution theory supports the Creation theory. Even Darwin admitted there was a huge hole in his theory.
Darwin originated the theory, so of course there were holes. But subsequent science has filled a lot of them in and will continue to do so. Young Earth Creationism, not so much.

I recently had a discussion with a friend who is both a YEC and a climate-change denier. Trouble is, her climate argument was rooted in long-term "cycles" that she identified but which exceeded the YEC timeline. So which is it?

This is why this stuff doesn't belong in schools. Talk about "holes"....

Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 AM

128 posts, read 122,893 times
People seem to misunderstand that the belief that evolution based on Darwin's theories as the best explanation for speciation is provisional. Attacking the inconsistencies in evolutionary theory doesn't hurt my feelings, and if it's discarded in the future for a theory that explains biodiversity then good. You'd better have plenty of good evidence to support your hypothesis, though.

Completely disproving evolution doesn't mean the creationist's construct is any more accurate. It doesn't have to be only one or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies