Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 04:25 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,056,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Maybe God used Evolution as a tool to create life? It's the only explanation that makes the most sense really, to believe in Evolution blindly takes a lot of faith, a lot more faith than a belief in God.
Evolution is not "believed in" blindly. People who accept it do so because of the mountains of overwhelming evidence supporting it. "Believing in" evolution takes no faith whatsoever.

And you're correct - there is nothing stopping one from believing that God created life and that He uses evolution to advance and develop life. I'm pretty sure that's the official position of the Catholic church.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 PM

76,992 posts, read 47,331,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Evolution is not "believed in" blindly. People who accept it do so because of the mountains of overwhelming evidence supporting it. "Believing in" evolution takes no faith whatsoever.

And you're correct - there is nothing stopping one from believing that God created life and that He uses evolution to advance and develop life. I'm pretty sure that's the official position of the Catholic church.
It takes mountains of faith to believe space dust transforms into living, breathing and reproducing elephants if you just give it enough time.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:58 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,698,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This is why all my future children are going to be in private schools. Liberals have no f--king place and right to try and tell me what to teach my children.
Then don't blame liberals when your children cannot obtain a science based degree in college and a science based job. And we wonder why the rest of the world is surpassing the US in science and math.

Society, Science & Soul Wisdom: In Battle between Science & Religion in the West, the Winner is *Asia * *

Old 10-19-2013, 05:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,698,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your ignorance of evolution is showing once again.....There are many different species of virus.....For instance, humans are apes, but we are not the same species as chimps, gorillas or the other great apes.....I suppose your next question will be "If humans came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?"
I want to know how Noah got so many species of animals into that ark the dimensions of which are given in Genesis Chapter 6.

Animals: estimated 3-30 million species
|
|--Invertebrates: 97% of all known species
| `--+--Sponges: 10,000 species
| |--Cnidarians: 8,000-9,000 species
| |--Molluscs: 100,000 species
| |--Platyhelminths: 13,000 species
| |--Nematodes: 20,000+ species
| |--Echinoderms: 6,000 species
| |--Annelida: 12,000 species
| `--Arthropods
| `--+--Crustaceans: 40,000 species
| |--Insects: 1-30 million+ species
| `--Arachnids: 75,500 species
|
`--Vertebrates: 3% of all known species
`--+--Reptiles: 7,984 species
|--Amphibians: 5,400 species
|--Birds: 9,000-10,000 species
|--Mammals: 4,475-5,000 species
`--Ray-Finned Fishes: 23,500 species

Animals - How Many Animal Species Inhabit Our Planet

Old 10-19-2013, 05:08 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,264,361 times
Quote:
Maybe God used Evolution as a tool to create life? It's the only explanation that makes the most sense really, to believe in Evolution blindly takes a lot of faith, a lot more faith than a belief in God.
Ummm, what? Blindly? I believe in evolution because there's evidence of evolution. There's NO evidence of leprechauns, tooth fairies, Sasquatch, Spiderman or God.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:10 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,264,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893
This is why all my future children are going to be in private schools. Liberals have no f--king place and right to try and tell me what to teach my children.
Well, at least your kids will be qualified to be monks, nuns and army chaplains.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,314,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Darwin himself said his theory had major gaps in it, which he could not explain, but the modern people believe it anyway.
Yes, we do not know all of the mechanisms of evolution. We do, however, know that evolution actually happens.

Just because we do not understand every part of the evolutionary process (just as we don't understand everything there is to know about gravity) doesn't in any way mean we should default to believing in ancient creation myths. That's infantile nonsense.

And anyone who equates Darwin's theories with modern understanding of evolution is only demonstrating their utter lack of knowledge regarding either. Science itself evolves as knowledge is obtained. It is a far more elegant, satisfying and verifiable process than just pointing to a collection of ancient holy texts from some culture or other and saying "Ah! All the answers are right here! No need to look any further. No need to use our brains or feed our natural curiosity."

Quote:
Maybe God used Evolution as a tool to create life?
Again, evolutionary theory does not address the origin of life itself or the origin of the cosmos. It proceeds from the observation of life itself.

I do agree, though, that it is possible for any reasonable person of faith to believe both in a creator and acknowledge the fact that evolution actually happens. There is no problem with holding both of these concepts in one's mind unless one is a fundamentalist/literalist. Fortunately, the fundies are just the fringe flakes of religion for the most part.

Quote:
...to believe in Evolution blindly takes a lot of faith, a lot more faith than a belief in God.
As has been pointed out more eloquently than I can, people need not believe in evolution blindly at all. All evidence gathered for more than a century and a half across many scientific disciplines has done nothing but strengthen our knowledge and understanding of evolution and our awareness of the fact that it actually happens. It is quite observable.

While there is all kinds of evidence for evolution, there is not now nor has there ever been one solitary shred of evidence for invisible supernatural beings like deities.

This doesn't mean a god or gods absolutely don't exist, but no human knows whether they do or not.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,491,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Creationism has no place in schools? Isn't education about exploring all views?
Creationism has a place right alongside Greek Mythology. That's it. Keep that hocus pocus out of the science class. "Views" have nothing to do with facts.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:30 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,314,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Creationism has a place right alongside Greek Mythology. That's it. Keep that hocus pocus out of the science class. "Views" have nothing to do with facts.
Yes. I have absolutely no problem teaching Judeo-Christian creation myths alongside those of other cultures in an elective Comparative Religion or World Mythologies class.

Intelligent Design/Creationism has no place at all in science classes because they are completely and totally devoid of any kind of science whatsoever.

There IS no such thing as "creation science."

Old 10-19-2013, 05:33 PM

33,501 posts, read 37,009,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I want to know how Noah got so many species of animals into that ark the dimensions of which are given in Genesis Chapter 6.

Animals: estimated 3-30 million species
|
|--Invertebrates: 97% of all known species
| `--+--Sponges: 10,000 species
| |--Cnidarians: 8,000-9,000 species
| |--Molluscs: 100,000 species
| |--Platyhelminths: 13,000 species
| |--Nematodes: 20,000+ species
| |--Echinoderms: 6,000 species
| |--Annelida: 12,000 species
| `--Arthropods
| `--+--Crustaceans: 40,000 species
| |--Insects: 1-30 million+ species
| `--Arachnids: 75,500 species
|
`--Vertebrates: 3% of all known species
`--+--Reptiles: 7,984 species
|--Amphibians: 5,400 species
|--Birds: 9,000-10,000 species
|--Mammals: 4,475-5,000 species
`--Ray-Finned Fishes: 23,500 species

Animals - How Many Animal Species Inhabit Our Planet
There was no ark, no global flood, and probably no Noah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies