Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:02 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what people on here do to contribute to those who may not be as fortunate. Do you put a check in the offering plate on Sunday morning? Do you cut a check to a well known charity? Do you give directly to the homeless or the addicted? As for me, I prefer to give very good tips to a waiter or some other service professional (like my barber) who may not make much, or put a very large tip in the jar of some businesses I frequent around Christmastime. At least I know I'm giving to people who are putting forth an effort, even if their effort doesn't lead to much remuneration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM

60 posts, read 286,427 times
We tithe 10% of our gross income to our church. Beyond that we give to organizations doing work we believe in such as As Our Own, Compassion International, Focus on the Family, CBN, alliance Defense Fund, local Christian radio stations. We also support several families doing mission work in other countries.

Locally, when my kids and I are going through a drive-through restaurant, we will pay for the people behind us in line. It is such a kick blessing other people out of the blue and I love showing my kids it is more fun to give than receive!

Old 10-17-2013, 08:27 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I am wondering what people on here do to contribute to those who may not be as fortunate. Do you put a check in the offering plate on Sunday morning? Do you cut a check to a well known charity? Do you give directly to the homeless or the addicted? As for me, I prefer to give very good tips to a waiter or some other service professional (like my barber) who may not make much, or put a very large tip in the jar of some businesses I frequent around Christmastime. At least I know I'm giving to people who are putting forth an effort, even if their effort doesn't lead to much remuneration.
We pick local, regional, national and international charities to give to during the month of December. It's kind of fun, we change it up every year and it's sort of part of the holiday season for us.

I'll overtip at cheaper places where the waitresses/hairdressers aren't making much and give the standard tip at fancy places.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 PM

241 posts, read 245,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprillh View Post
We tithe 10% of our gross income to our church. Beyond that we give to organizations doing work we believe in such as As Our Own, Compassion International, Focus on the Family, CBN, alliance Defense Fund, local Christian radio stations. We also support several families doing mission work in other countries.

Locally, when my kids and I are going through a drive-through restaurant, we will pay for the people behind us in line. It is such a kick blessing other people out of the blue and I love showing my kids it is more fun to give than receive!
Thats awsome!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Quote:

So what's the impetus for giving to church and hate organizations instead of real charities? Do they feel that these organizations best match your belief system or do you believe there's some sort of reward for tithing in the afterlife?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I donate Clothes and give money to people on the street. .

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-18-2013, 12:06 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
I go to establishments where women engage in exotic dancing (strip bars) so that they can pay for their college educations because their fathers are losers that despite having 18 years to save for their college funds, never put away a dollar for it, and those women want to prevent themselves from becoming wage slaves to pay off college loans.

So basically, I pay them to give me private dances. They occasionally act like they are interested in talking to me about skydiving too.

I consider it all an investment in America's future. While also preventing having them add to the already 1.3 trillion in student loan debt.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:15 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
I do a lot of volunteer work for a local residential shelter for women here in town.

I also do some volunteer work for The Land Conservancy, which is always fun because it always involves working outdoors.

I used to do quite a bit of volunteering for a couple of remote area medical groups that provide medical/dental services to the rural poor, but I've had to cut back on the frequency of my trips.

And other than that, I really enjoy paying for the person's food behind me at the drive-thrus of McDonald's or Starbucks. Not a huge investment, clearly, but it's a fun, fast charitable "donation".

Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 AM

624 posts, read 939,440 times
Quote:

As a Jew-turned-nontheist, I've always been curious about tithing. Where does that money go? I'm not setting a trap for you or anything. It's just an unfamiliar concept to me.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 AM

624 posts, read 939,440 times
I don't have spare cash, generally, but I do give what I can to local charities for literacy, the homeless, battered women and children, the mentally ill, low-income seniors, and wildlife/pet shelters. Not all at once...I can't. I do it on rotation or based on who really needs it the most at the time and when I have something to spare.

Because I don't have much money, I volunteer a lot of time and I rotate that, too. My constants are teaching low-income seniors how to use computers, teaching adult literacy, working with victims of sexual trauma, working with homeless adults and homeless LGBT teens, doing community education on mental illness, and working in end-of-life, funerary, and grief care in the Jewish community. I do occasional projects with Habitat for Humanity, local shelters and food pantries, and other community organizations. Seasonally, I foster overflow wildlife babies for a wildlife rehab. I am proficient in graphic design and do graphic work for charities free of charge. Finally, I always try to do something when a big disaster hits somewhere in the U.S.

I've turned long-term unemployment into a full-time roster of volunteer projects. Since I am a food stamps recipient, I feel an extra obligation to be active for the benefit of those more in need than myself. I'm not trying to brag about all that I do...just being complete, and I do like to try to set an example for other unemployed people who receive government assistance. A person is only useless to/a drain on society if they choose to be.

Last edited by Slithytoves; 10-18-2013 at 12:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies