U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:35 AM

2,347 posts, read 1,433,165 times

Advertisements

I really hope that the democrats can take the house in 2014 and do away with the debt ceiling. It doesn't make any sense to have a debt ceiling if it is raised anyway. Are we going to have every 6 months the US on the verge of defaulting? Just because the tea party wants blackmail the democrats to cut government spending.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 AM

11,768 posts, read 9,502,060 times
No, we don't need one. The USA is one of 2 countries that even has a debt ceiling.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d11203.pdf

Old 10-18-2013, 10:46 AM

3,970 posts, read 10,231,312 times
Your perspective is exactly opposite of mine. The debt ceiling should remain, greatly reduced even, and be utterly enforced, never raised. If I raised the ceilings in my house as often as congress raises the debt ceiling, I would be living in a sky scraper. It is time to own up to our fiscal mess. The longer we delay, the greater the inevitable pain will be.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Your perspective is exactly opposite of mine. The debt ceiling should remain, greatly reduced even, and be utterly enforced, never raised. If I raised the ceilings in my house as often as congress raises the debt ceiling, I would be living in a sky scraper. It is time to own up to our fiscal mess. The longer we delay, the greater the inevitable pain will be.
You are woefully misinformed. The debt ceiling has nothing to do with spending and has never had an impact on spending.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM

66 posts, read 64,809 times
do we need a dept ceiling?. we need to know the balance of trade with all countries in which a portion of the US economy, and they are many. If America declares bankrupt will suffer the rest of the country than the US. Therefore, the population of America should be prepared to reduce costs and to participate in the rehabilitation of the economy of America. This whole situation due loans -than their less( unreasonable) -the better for the economy. so underdog...

Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 AM

6,453 posts, read 3,225,473 times
Quote:
You are woefully misinformed. The debt ceiling has nothing to do with spending and has never had an impact on spending.
Is this a joke response? If it isn't I'd like to know what college you went to so my kids can stay far away from it. If you are serious then I suggest you read up on money/debt creation and how govt. gets the money it spends.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Is this a joke response? If it isn't I'd like to know what college you went to so my kids can stay far away from it. If you are serious then I suggest you read up on money/debt creation and how govt. gets the money it spends.
I'm serious. The debt ceiling has nothing to do with spending; spending is addressed in the budget.
Univ. of Chicago.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 AM

47,528 posts, read 65,262,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Oh but it does. Obama wants to add many trillions of dollars to the debt, he wants no limits to his absurd spending, he is irresponsible to an extreme.

We need a debt ceiling and we need it lowered. Obama is expanding the huge welfare class as fast as he can.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:52 AM

6,453 posts, read 3,225,473 times
Quote:
I'm serious. The debt ceiling has nothing to do with spending; spending is addressed in the budget.
you need to rethink your logic.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM

7,168 posts, read 4,962,003 times
The debt ceiling is useless and has not stopped our leaders from running up more debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies