Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Jimmy Carter THE worst president in US history?
Yes, he is the absolute worst! 52 27.96%
No, he was the best! (or good or whatever - state below) 106 56.99%
I do not know. 28 15.05%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:28 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times

Advertisements

Carter was not good, but also not the worst. He inherited a poor economy and he faced a very challenging situation with the hostage crisis. He actually started the military build up that Reagan is given credit for. Hard-liners like to slam Presidents for not standing up to ur enemies. Well, when USSR invaded Afghanistan, Carter punished them by slapping on the grain embargo. That turned out to be very unpopular at home because it hurt US farmers.

Based on approval ratings, Nixon, George W Bush and Truman were worse than Carter, and all four much worse than Obama. However, many historians consider Truman to be great. The invasion of Iraq in 2002 was easily the most disastrous decision ever made by a US president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
a better statesmen until recently, Carter was and still is the worst we have ever had.
No, George W. Bush was the WORST president in our history.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:18 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Carter doesn't come close....pretty average and not even in the contest for worst.
There are a lot of horses in that race: G. W. Bush, James Buchanan, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Warren Harding, Grant, Pierce, Nixon, Reagan. It depends on your standards and politics. Most agree Buchanan was the worst, historically. Even in the popular opinion polls Carter almost always beats Nixon. Reagan will be judged as poor over time.

I'm surprised that Eisenhower often is listed as among the worst in popular polls but among the best by scholars. Does he need to be rehabilitated in public perception? I like Ike....mostly.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:05 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Carter was bad, so was GWB, Obama is in the running. LBJ was a horrible war leader, Obama seems to have borrowed his play book. Ford was a flatline. We have had a number of bad presidents, we tend to dwell on the most recent ones.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:30 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Carter doesn't come close....pretty average and not even in the contest for worst.
There are a lot of horses in that race: G. W. Bush, James Buchanan, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Warren Harding, Grant, Pierce, Nixon, Reagan. It depends on your standards and politics. Most agree Buchanan was the worst, historically. Even in the popular opinion polls Carter almost always beats Nixon. Reagan will be judged as poor over time.

I'm surprised that Eisenhower often is listed as among the worst in popular polls but among the best by scholars. Does he need to be rehabilitated in public perception? I like Ike....mostly.
You didn't mention Hoover. He has always been blamed for the Great Depression, probably unfairly, but he could have done more to pull us out of it. I've done some reading on Grant, who is fascinating. He was humble, unassuming, honest, a great general, helped the country heal after the Civil War and fought for the rights of both blacks and indians. Unfortunately, he was a somewhat weak president, and others took advantage of him, causing scandals which ruined his legacy.

Eisenhower I think just flies under the radar for most Americans. The 50's were a feel-good time with no major crises, so it's hard to point to any great accomplishments of Ike as president.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
You've got to admit Reagan's ability to support Saddam Hussein, sell arms to Iran, get into a dirty war in Central America that caused thousands of civilian deaths, laugh at the poor in the US, lie and fuel corruption, invade a couple of countries and get involved in one of the biggest financial disasters ever (the Savings and Loan Crisis) while being admired by the average American for his "fight against Communism", his "good looks", his "smile" and whatever.

For all that and more, he is one of the worst. But his ability to make himself look good to the public while screwing things up big time was unbelievable. When he died, even The New York Times praised him!
Of Presidents in my life time (born in 1949), the worst presidents were George Bush II (for bringing us to the brink of depression), followed by Carter, followed by Nixon (although at least Nixon had some foreign policy triumphs), and then the hype that was Reagan (I do appreciate your summary, above).

Old 01-22-2016, 12:46 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I was trying to figure out the rationale in selecting Obama as the worst.

Then I remembered... you're right-wingers. There is no rationale.
Exactly.

And that's somewhat of a problem with this thread. Most Republicans will cite Democrats as the worst as a Pavlovian response. Most Democrats will cite Republicans as the worst as a Pavlovian response. There's a lot of drooling (rather than dueling) going on in this thread.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:59 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Worst president in our recent history was G.W Bush.

Worst economy, threw us into wars we shouldn't be in, completely disrupted the Middle East, now leading to the largest refugee crisis since WWII, Great Recession right under his watch, not to mention that he even spoke like an idiot.

Frankly, I'm shocked the guy isnt in jail.

Jimmy carter had stellar job growth to say the least. He holds most records for job growth in our country's history.
The reason Dubya isn't in Jail is because the Dems were trying to rescue America from a complete economic collapse in 2009 and had other priorities to attend to.

Dubya & Cheney are guilty of War crimes invading IRAQ.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Eisenhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
You didn't mention Hoover. He has always been blamed for the Great Depression, probably unfairly, but he could have done more to pull us out of it. I've done some reading on Grant, who is fascinating. He was humble, unassuming, honest, a great general, helped the country heal after the Civil War and fought for the rights of both blacks and indians. Unfortunately, he was a somewhat weak president, and others took advantage of him, causing scandals which ruined his legacy.

Eisenhower I think just flies under the radar for most Americans. The 50's were a feel-good time with no major crises, so it's hard to point to any great accomplishments of Ike as president.
Eisenhower actually did something wonderful for our country. He started the interstate road system. He did it so he could move troops from one coast to the other coast in a matter of days. But where would we be today without this system of transporting.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:23 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

Agree about Carter. He gets a bad rap imo. Carter got the ball rolling for our economic recovery by deregulating.

Wonder why you picked Harding? We recovered from a depression that was very short because of his insistence that government stay out for the most part. Taxes and spending were lowered tremendously to accomplish this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies