Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 03:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I have a college degree and a CPC certification. I also have a cell phone and a PS3 . I pay for both. Nothing I own was put on credit. Not even my vehicle. My college was mostly paid for by scholarships and the rest was paid from part time work.

I actually make it a point to buy cheap cloths. I have some expensive things that I wear to work but that is it. Jeans, shoes, etc I am more likely to buy at more affordable places.

Whether you set out to destroy the world or not is irrelevant. Your generation DID DESTROY THE WORLD! I'm sure you had no intention to, but you did. I am sure even now you are sitting on maxed out credit cards and a mortgage that you refinance whenever you are short on cash.
The world is alive and reasonably well. How did the boomers destroy it?

I have zero debt including no mortgage. I pay over $10K per year in property taxes. I have two kids on college, one already out. My boomer age friends are much more like me than what you think boomers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 03:11 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Good for you. Then stop whining. Are you amongst the majority or the minority? It seems history is repeating itself. That's exactly how senior boomers did things. The only debt they held were a mortgage and a car loan, a car was considered a luxury. But they didn't complain about the generation before them for bringing them into a world that was economically worse that the world you were brought into. Senior boomers worked hard to change it - they built it. There is a wide gap between the senior boomers and those at the end of that generation. It's those at the end of the boomer generation that screwed it up. Senior boomers weren't handed anything. If your generation holds boomers responsible for where we are today, why did your generation vote in a boomer - two times? Obama was born in 1961 which falls into the boomer generation.

Now you can do the same thing that the senior boomers did - change and build. I hope that you can hold on to that change and build so that your children and grandchildren don't point a finger at you if things go wrong.
Well, in regards to who we vote in there are not exactly a lot of non-boomer choices to pick from.

As for the bolded, then I take it you agree with me?

And why would the boomers complain about the world they were born into? They lived their peak years during much better times. It was easy for them to make bad decisions and then jump right back out of the hole. It ISN'T like that in the world anymore. One slightly wrong decision could set your entire life back today. Boomers had it easy and truly have no right to complain. Generation Y though? Hell 50% of the college graduates from that generation couldn't even find work for gods sake. I think the rate is only marginally better now at like 33%. I spent a whole year after college sending hundreds of resumes into a black hole with no interviews. Boomers NEVER faced an economy like that. I am doing good now, but my peers and I definitely had to work harder for it.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:16 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Hey now! Not all us younger boomer's screwed up either! No credit card debt here either, two vehicles paid for.. and a house with a teeny tiny mortgage that will be paid completely before retirement. Now, we're shoveling it into our retirement accounts because those took a major dump back when the economy crashed. And I'm not counting on SS. Of course... the insurance premiums also just took a major hike so that's going to curtail a lot of savings... All at the same time, took care of a elderly parent with terminal cancer, put a kid through four years of college at a major university and grad school, helped pay for a wedding, and somehow managed to stay married for 33 years. Yep... I'm so selfish....
OK. I should have said SOME. I was basically referring to politicians, bankers, etc. Be careful this is exactly what pisses off the little ones. They see it as you having great wealth. What they don't understand is that the everyday middle class boomers who worked all their life - from top to bottom - are digging into savings, 401ks, suffered losses when the economy collapsed, and are using credit cards to purchase medicine, not IPads.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Well, in regards to who we vote in there are not exactly a lot of non-boomer choices to pick from.

As for the bolded, then I take it you agree with me?

And why would the boomers complain about the world they were born into? They lived their peak years during much better times. It was easy for them to make bad decisions and then jump right back out of the hole. It ISN'T like that in the world anymore. One slightly wrong decision could set your entire life back today. Boomers had it easy and truly have no right to complain. Generation Y though? Hell 50% of the college graduates from that generation couldn't even find work for gods sake. I think the rate is only marginally better now at like 33%. I spent a whole year after college sending hundreds of resumes into a black hole with no interviews. Boomers NEVER faced an economy like that. I am doing good now, but my peers and I definitely had to work harder for it.
Oh come on. Any wrong decision by any person can set their entire life back. Generational Age has nothing to do with it!

At least you've got a college education. And you can come back and talk to me when you've faced 14% mortgage rates. 21% car loan rates. When you've lived through the close to 12% unemployment rates of the early 80's.

No one here has said you don't have a rough time. You do. But until you grow up and realize that other people have gone through the same things... sometimes actually rougher than you... quit blaming them for it.... well... I give up..it's a lost cause....

Old 10-20-2013, 03:24 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Really? You're changing the world and all that? I don't think so. You sound pretty self-absorbed.

IF just getting a job and purchasing things is changing the world - then I'm a god*amned saint.

Continue to delude yourself IF that makes you feel better about things, though, by all means.
This is a very good start. Our debt financed society needs to be reigned in. Generation Y is starting this process by postponing home ownership unlike our older relatives did. We will purchase homes when we can afford to and not go in with the attitude of getting it now and trying to pay for it later.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
It will probably be a better place when their generation dies. The boomers were, at the least, productive.

Wow, I hope your parents or grandparents don't grant your with anytime soon.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
You do know that we have had money deducted from our checks for Medicare our entire working lives, don't you? That means it has been deducted from my check for 40years, since I am56 and started working when I was 16.

It's not an entitlement; it is something we have paid into, the same as Social Security. That is very different than Medicaid, welfare and food stamps and different than free housing, food, education, and healthcare for people who aren't even US citizens.
Plus look at the entitlements not paid for and given to the present generation.They want free everything on others efforts. Who are they going to get to pay their bills and raise their children when boomers are gone. We are already importing illegal to work bottom jobs and foreigners to work the top jobs in record numbers.The top 1% better be good because they have to support so many by wealth sharing in those generations;thus the widening income gap every year.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
This is a very good start. Our debt financed society needs to be reigned in. Generation Y is starting this process by postponing home ownership unlike our older relatives did. We will purchase homes when we can afford to and not go in with the attitude of getting it now and trying to pay for it later.
Why thank you so much! You know, I was worried and all about the direction my life had taken and especially after reading this thread and how you all want us dead . . . but I like really feel so much better now. YOLO.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Depends on what influence Conservatives have. After all, the Republican party is the party of Dixie, and they drag the country down mightily.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
I have a credit card. I pay it off every month though.

I am already doing my part to change the world. I don't live off of debt. I went to college. I work. I continue you to better myself. My laptop, Iphone, etc, are all paid for with my income. Never on credit. If you cannot pay cash for something you have no right to have it. I don't have kids and I rent. I live a very responsible life. I can safely say I have made NO wrong choices.
Yes you have. Do you really need an iphone? Waste of resources there. Any time you buy something you don't absolutely need you are fueling the problem. Resources were wasted building your iphone and you waste money paying for the data plan every month. A flip phone you could use for years and years would have been a much more prudent choice. Do you really need a laptop? What's wrong with the computers at the library? Again, wasteful....

Don't brag....especially when you're not all that.

FTR, I have a computer and even an iphone (it was the free phone with my plan and my kids would have died if they didn't get an iphone....stupid choice on my part, I know...). I just don't brag about how I've made no wrong choices. I too live on what I earn. That doesn't mean I've made no wrong choices. I have a lot of luxuries in my life like that iphone, cable TV, a monitored alarm system on the house, a large screen TV...all paid for with cash but total wastes of money when you think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies