Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Yes, and you don't collect it either. If you quit working today, the amount you get from ss would be based on the years you worked. People who have never worked do not get ss.
True, I do realize that but it was an interesting thought, since there are people who very wealthy but never worked a day in their lives and sadly are the ones that pretty much own the politicians who make rules on who gets what from all of our taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The reference is to the movie Soylent Green but that was the premise of Logan's Run as well. In Soylent Green they actually let them grow old first then euthanized them and made them into food.
I never heard of that one before. I was fimiliar to Logan's Run because people were allowed to reach a certain age and than were euthanized willingly (for the most part)

Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Will the US be a better place after the baby boomer generation passes?
It will be different.

[better? That depends on the observer]

Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Don't worry. Their lord and savior obummer will give them amnesty and full benefits just as if they'd actually paid into the system. I swear illegals are more important to him than we are.
You do realize that he is not the driving force behind immigration don't you? It makes no sense to shore up our borders if once they get here they can still get employment. If they were really serious about it they would make stiffer penalties on those who hire them. The reason that they don't is because as quiet as it is kept there are many businesses that relie on the cheap labor to keep the cost down for all of us. Face it the average American is not going to slave in the sun for substandard wages picking fruit and veggies. Many people are complaining about the immigrants but at the same time will not do their job and would complain if they had to pay for high prices at the market.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:12 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
True, I do realize that but it was an interesting thought, since there are people who very wealthy but never worked a day in their lives and sadly are the ones that pretty much own the politicians who make rules on who gets what from all of our taxes.
Absolutely true... with two little bullets..

**Some of those wealthy are boomers.. but the biggest part of the boomers are not. Their just middle and lower income folks just trying to survive. Everyone is blaming the boomers for all their trouble, saying how we have or are ruining the country. The fact is.. that most of us boomers had about as much control back then.. as you youngsters do now. The big wig fat cats have always ran things their way, and there was nothing we could do about it.

** Why don't you young folks get some of your wealthy generation to start making changes now? I realize that Paris Hilton isn't going to get you where you want to be... but I'm sure that there are very wealthy young adults who have the intelligence to at least start getting involved in politics and do it the right way, correct?

Quote:
Face it the average American is not going to slave in the sun for substandard wages picking fruit and veggies. Many people are complaining about the immigrants but at the same time will not do their job and would complain if they had to pay for high prices at the market.
While this is true..This isn't a generational problem....

Old 10-25-2013, 06:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
I never heard of that one before. I was fimiliar to Logan's Run because people were allowed to reach a certain age and than were euthanized willingly (for the most part)
The movies were actually only a few years apart. Logan's run is more memorable because of scantily clad women...

Old 10-25-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Absolutely true... with two little bullets..

**Some of those wealthy are boomers.. but the biggest part of the boomers are not. Their just middle and lower income folks just trying to survive. Everyone is blaming the boomers for all their trouble, saying how we have or are ruining the country. The fact is.. that most of us boomers had about as much control back then.. as you youngsters do now. The big wig fat cats have always ran things their way, and there was nothing we could do about it.

** Why don't you young folks get some of your wealthy generation to start making changes now? I realize that Paris Hilton isn't going to get you where you want to be... but I'm sure that there are very wealthy young adults who have the intelligence to at least start getting involved in politics and do it the right way, correct?

Considering that there are more wealthy people now than ever before that happen to be non-baby boomers, why are'nt they doing something about whats going on? Because they are all too self absorbed trying to outdo one another.

While this is true..This isn't a generational problem....
I know but there was a post that tried to make it one

BTW, I'm a BB myself

Old 10-25-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
You do realize that he is not the driving force behind immigration don't you? It makes no sense to shore up our borders if once they get here they can still get employment. If they were really serious about it they would make stiffer penalties on those who hire them. The reason that they don't is because as quiet as it is kept there are many businesses that relie on the cheap labor to keep the cost down for all of us. Face it the average American is not going to slave in the sun for substandard wages picking fruit and veggies. Many people are complaining about the immigrants but at the same time will not do their job and would complain if they had to pay for high prices at the market.
That "cheap labor" is expensive by the time you factor in welfare, the cost of schools and medical care. It would be cheaper to pay unemployed Americans five times as much to do the same job.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The movies were actually only a few years apart. Logan's run is more memorable because of scantily clad women...
I think Logan's Run played in the mid seventies and a few parodies came from them as well.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I think Logan's Run played in the mid seventies and a few parodies came from them as well.
I watched them both in high school. Logan's run is the one I remember best. I just remember the end of Soylent Green with Charleton Heston yelling "Soylent green is people". I guess scantily clad women sit better with people than cannibalism. LOL

Of course dh had to rent Logan's run for my 30th birthday, lol. Carp....I'm sitting here thinking about how close the 30th anniversary of my 30th birthday is....I guess I'd be dead in either movie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies