Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is a good point but I wonder how many Black students who would have been qualified for elite NYC schools end up going elsewhere?
One would have to do a LOT of research on the various programs, but many local and nationally based NYC organizations have programs such as boarding school or private school full ride scholarships for high school level education in NYC. So the best and brightest black and Hispanics in NYC do have options other than the public selective enrollment schools.

And to Mathguy to who mentioned the NAACP, they are seeking an investigation into how the students are chosen, they are not seeking to deny admission to Asian students. There was an accusation of fraud against the selective enrollment process in that qualified students were not being chosen based on testing but by biased methods, which is why NAACP got involved. FWIW, I am not a huge NAACP supporter, but their legal defense fund LDF and other investigative and legal arms usually seem pretty fair and balanced in regards to their inquiries and history has shown that they have been a champion for many Americans, not just black Americans since the beginning of the LDF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Let's break this down to simple hard truth, much like going by a single test alone for admission to these elite schools.

China Population: 1,350,000,000
India Population: 1,220,000,000
Total: 2,570,000,000

top 10%: 257,000,000
if only 10% of this top sliver wishes to emigrate to U.S.: 25,700,000
top 10% of U.S.: 31,700,000

We would be dominated within 10 years. You cannot give people from these
countries an advantage just because they reproduced themselves into a planet
wrecking swarm.

Immigrants from both of these places do not reflect the average individual of the home country.

China immigrant average IQ: 106
China average IQ: 100

Indian immigrant average IQ: 109
India average IQ: 81

So you are pitting a educationally capable, thus skewed group of immigrants with a historically poor and disadvantaged group of native blacks and Hispanics. There is also the fact that a very large portion of these immigrants are very new to the city.

These schools serve the entirety of the city, not just a few advantaged groups. Anyway, these schools really would not reflect the needs of the City that is becoming more and more "rich or poor".

Last edited by UrbanQuest; 11-06-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
NYC is already downgrading

Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
NYC is already downgrading
Your right, although my reason is probably a lot different than yours.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
another moon bat with a bad idea.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,165 times
I think the new mayor is more concerned with his own children, rather than what is actually right.

The standardized tests measure what children should know, comprehend and be able to apply at that point of their school level (math, reading, writing, etc.).

The hell with after school sports and program participation...that does not apply on a real life job to a great extent. Maybe it teaches something about team work (but also about forming exclusionary cliques).

What is important in real life work situations are reading, writing, math and science (all that can be applied to technology, engineering and international trade). In my 30 years in business, I never heard of anyone being interested in someone else's after school activities...Perhaps a brief mention of it if they went to the same schools...but it never closed a deal or completed a project.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 AM

603 posts, read 877,215 times
De Blasio sounds like another one of those left-of-left windbags whose ideas never work in the real world.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:18 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default He's right

Standardized testing rewards those who are privileged enough to afford greater help in preparation, those who have a more ideal study environment, those who have never faced discrimination, those with few or no stress or barriers to obstruct preparation, and those who are willing to study ungodly hours at the expense of everything else.

Time to do away from them or minimize their influence. Sounds like progress to me.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
Every time I see a message like this I point to the young black woman who was Valedictorian of her class at a local high school where I live, did her homework by candle light many times because her poor mother, who worked two -three jobs, still couldn't afford to pay the light bill. She didn't make excuses like you do below. She studied "ungodly hours" because she chose to succeed unlike so many who make excuses. People don't get what they need, they get what they deserve. She deserved to go to Cornell because she didn't make excuses and still succeeded.

After Struggles Jones High Valedictorian Gets Wish, Is... | www.wftv.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Standardized testing rewards those who are privileged enough to afford greater help in preparation, those who have a more ideal study environment, those who have never faced discrimination, those with few or no stress or barriers to obstruct preparation, and those who are willing to study ungodly hours at the expense of everything else.

Time to do away from them or minimize their influence. Sounds like progress to me.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:13 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I think the new mayor is more concerned with his own children, rather than what is actually right.

The standardized tests measure what children should know, comprehend and be able to apply at that point of their school level (math, reading, writing, etc.).

The hell with after school sports and program participation...that does not apply on a real life job to a great extent. Maybe it teaches something about team work (but also about forming exclusionary cliques).

What is important in real life work situations are reading, writing, math and science (all that can be applied to technology, engineering and international trade). In my 30 years in business, I never heard of anyone being interested in someone else's after school activities...Perhaps a brief mention of it if they went to the same schools...but it never closed a deal or completed a project.
DeBlasio's son goes to Brooklyn Tech one of the selective schools in question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies