Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much would you pay your low skilled workers at your fast food restaurant?
Minimum Wage 28 45.90%
Fifty Cents Above Minimum Wage 2 3.28%
$1.00 above Minimum Wage 7 11.48%
$2.00- or more- above Minimum Wage 24 39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:20 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And more than 97% of them have less than a 4 year degree. Hence, no pity from me.

Tables 1 - 10; Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 02:21 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
a profit sharing plan encourages employees to do their best to make the restaurant money. because if the restaurant makes more money, they make more money, thus htey have to put their best foot forward. it also encourages people to stay at the restaurant longer than a few weeks.
LOL maybe with the older people on the day shift who are usually older or retired, but have bills and family to support, so they're less likely to leave anyway. Some of their pay is being supplemented with government entities. Most people are teenagers, have had problems with the law, or are just waiting for something better to role along. Even with dollar or two raise or extra small benefits, your still making low wages compared to most jobs and most people do not stay at fast food places long enough to even benefit from a profit sharing plan. They do not plan on staying at the restaurant as a career, thus they usually care very little regardless.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Again your talking about 15yo kids a lot of em. They aren't looking at the future or worried about doing their best they just want spending money. You have to realize that going in. If your worried about em staying more than two weeks then bump their base pay a profit sharing plan to a young kid doesn't mean a lot to em. Just my opinion. I know when I was fifteen I didn't care about anything other than friday to see how much my check was.
and you are assuming that pretty much only 15 year olds work in restaurants, which is not true. most fast food places are open when school is in session, so the teens are in school, and if that is the only employee base you are counting on, you are in deep trouble. and perhaps at 15 you might not have cared about anything but getting that paycheck, but there are teens out there that do care about doing a good job, and care about making as much money as possible as a result of doing a good job.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and you are assuming that pretty much only 15 year olds work in restaurants, which is not true. most fast food places are open when school is in session, so the teens are in school, and if that is the only employee base you are counting on, you are in deep trouble. and perhaps at 15 you might not have cared about anything but getting that paycheck, but there are teens out there that do care about doing a good job, and care about making as much money as possible as a result of doing a good job.
True but far and few in between. Most just want a little spending money, and $300+ or so every 2 weeks with no real bills to pay is usually plenty. Teens who care about doing a good job will do so with or without minimum wage, and they still aren't there that long.... The turnaround rate is extremely high.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:28 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
I would pay a minimum living wage of $22/hr, 1 week paid vacation after one year of service, 2 weeks after three years of service and 3 weeks after five years of service.

6 paid holidays a year with those employees working on holiday earning double time.

Of course I would provide them with full health coverage and a company pension program matching contributions to the first 10% of their savings.

Also do not forget disability insurance.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
And more than 97% of them have less than a 4 year degree. Hence, no pity from me.

Tables 1 - 10; Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012
So you think people need a college degree to get a decent pay? I personally have no problem paying people that work in fast food a living wage regardless of the education level.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I would pay a minimum living wage of $22/hr, 1 week paid vacation after one year of service, 2 weeks after three years of service and 3 weeks after five years of service.

6 paid holidays a year with those employees working on holiday earning double time.

Of course I would provide them with full health coverage and a company pension program matching contributions to the first 10% of their savings.

Also do not forget disability insurance.
And you would go out of business if your suggesting paying all of your dozen or so unskilled workers almost 50k a year with benefits EACH. Sounds nice though.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:34 PM

And you would go out of business if your suggesting paying all of your dozen or so unskilled workers almost 50k a year with benefits EACH. Sounds nice though, but all of you high and mighty would fair a better chance if you ran the government instead of a fast food establishment because you all are being far from realistic... Where is all this money coming from? You going to start charging $10 per burger and $20 per meal? No let me guess, you're going to take the government model and take out a loan every year to pay the employees with until you go bankrupt and out of business?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
If you got the money together to open a new fast food restaurant in your hometown and starting hiring the workers, what would you pay the people who do the work? I am talking about the unskilled poorly educated workers who will cook the food, clean the toilets, mop the floor and stock the cooler. (Not the Managers)

Would you pay them about minimum wage so you could be the same as everyone else in town, or would you pay a few dollars above minimum wage so you could hold out for higher quality workers and reduce turnover, but then risk a lower profit margin because the higher wages would not guarantee good workers or less turnover, just make it more likely.

Remember this will be in your town, with it's unique labor market and wages and minimum wage. If you did the poll explain your answer please.

Please answer my poll.
I would start at minimum wage. I would give raises to good workers on preplanned timing (ie, 90 days, 180 days) but fire anyone not working out before they got those raises. I'm not sure paying higher wages to start gets you better workers. It will get you more applicants but you'll get more good employees and bad employees applying. My goal would be to keep the good ones. I'd do that by making sure I paid a little more than the next fast food restaurant in the area.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:45 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,136 times
I voted 50 cents above but also try and implement some sort of bonus for an exceptionally busy period based on sandwich/ item count. Perhaps if there was an event in town or like when Chik Fil A had people lined up outside when their owner made the comments, they should get something extra if they really busted their tails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies