Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

When I went to the UK on business, many moons ago, I think it was around 2000 or 2001 or so, I had to do an inspection/meet and greet with the engineers there doing their portion of the test network and the regression testing they were performing. One particular day, they took me to a local pub for lunch. It was fantastic. They were having Thanksgiving dinner for lunch on Wednesday. It was quite delicious. Of course, having a real, live American in their midst, they began to ply me with questions. What was of interest, is what they were inquiring about.

It's was crime. And guns. They had the distinct impression that all Americans had guns. You know, like some people have plates and saucers in their homes. They were of the same notion about guns. They thought everyone had one. From the conversation, it was like they thought America was still like the wild west. Kind of like a semi-controlled anarchy, with bullets.

I wonder if the whole world sees us like that. I wonder if that protects us, or makes us look like morons with guns. I wonder.

You’re More Likely to Get Punched to Death in Texas, and 5 Other Surprising Crime Stats Read more: http://nation.time.com/2013/09/19/youre-more-likely-to-get-punched-to-death-in-texas-and-5-other-surprising-crime-stats/#ixzz2iN0DQbLQ

Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I wonder if the whole world sees us like that. I wonder if that protects us, or makes us look like morons with guns. I wonder.
personally, i am curious about what other cultures think of america on a wide range of issues.

guns are not one of those issues. mainly because, if I lived in the UK, I wouldn't be surrounded by a violent underclass who wanted to kill me because my ancestors enslaved their ancestors.

in reality, I AM surrounded by a violent underclass who wants to kill me because my ancestors enslaved their ancestors. So therefore me and my family are armed to the teeth, and will remain so as long as the police remain incapable of protecting us.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
When I went to the UK on business, many moons ago, I think it was around 2000 or 2001 or so, I had to do an inspection/meet and greet with the engineers there doing their portion of the test network and the regression testing they were performing. One particular day, they took me to a local pub for lunch. It was fantastic. They were having Thanksgiving dinner for lunch on Wednesday. It was quite delicious. Of course, having a real, live American in their midst, they began to ply me with questions. What was of interest, is what they were inquiring about.

It's was crime. And guns. They had the distinct impression that all Americans had guns. You know, like some people have plates and saucers in their homes. They were of the same notion about guns. They thought everyone had one. From the conversation, it was like they thought America was still like the wild west. Kind of like a semi-controlled anarchy, with bullets.

You’re More Likely to Get Punched to Death in Texas, and 5 Other Surprising Crime Stats Read more: http://nation.time.com/2013/09/19/youre-more-likely-to-get-punched-to-death-in-texas-and-5-other-surprising-crime-stats/#ixzz2iN0DQbLQ
On my computer, that link comes up "page not found".

Old 10-21-2013, 12:54 PM

334 posts, read 716,440 times
OP,
Why do you give a hoo haa what anyone but an American thinks of America? If they don't work, vote, live, or pay taxes here their opinions have no value.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:19 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
LOL, OP, when I lived in England in 1976-77, I was told that "everyone in America is a cowboy, is rich and is good at sports."

Literal quote.

Sad to say I had to disappoint them on two out of three points.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:24 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
OP,
Why do you give a hoo haa what anyone but an American thinks of America? If they don't work, vote, live, or pay taxes here their opinions have no value.
Because it's fascinating. If you have no interest in the world outside your basement, don't read this thread.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:25 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:

You’re More Likely to Get Punched to Death in Texas, and 5 Other Surprising Crime Stats Read more: You’re More Likely to Get Punched to Death in Texas, and 5 Other Surprising Crime Stats | TIME.com
I wonder why you wonder....

who cares

Old 10-21-2013, 01:32 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
When I went to the UK on business, many moons ago, I think it was around 2000 or 2001 or so, I had to do an inspection/meet and greet with the engineers there doing their portion of the test network and the regression testing they were performing. One particular day, they took me to a local pub for lunch. It was fantastic. They were having Thanksgiving dinner for lunch on Wednesday. It was quite delicious.
This is the first I've ever heard, that people in the UK celebrate Thanksgiving.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
You folks are busily taking a silly premise and perpetrating it beyond any common sense.

Having travelled extensively for many decades both for business and pleasure I can assure you that the AVERAGE British citizen circa 1970 onward would no more believe you were all armed cowboys than the American citizen of the same period would believe all Brits wore bowler hats and carried brollies.

Stereotyping is common to all cultures but with a ready degree of easily seeing the reality mixed in.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
personally, i am curious about what other cultures think of america on a wide range of issues.

guns are not one of those issues. mainly because, if I lived in the UK, I wouldn't be surrounded by a violent underclass who wanted to kill me because my ancestors enslaved their ancestors.

in reality, I AM surrounded by a violent underclass who wants to kill me because my ancestors enslaved their ancestors. So therefore me and my family are armed to the teeth, and will remain so as long as the police remain incapable of protecting us.

OMG LOL!!!

At least you are honest though lol again.

There we have it, paranoia over "the blacks."

How many black people do you even know? I bet none live around you so don't "surround you" either.

Also, the British enslaved the Irish so they are "surrounded" by people who they enslaved too and those people more easily blend into UK society than the blacks you are so concerned about.

FYI, the Brits were very brutal to the people in the UK and were much hated for centuries. You should get off your racial paranoia and realize that, for one, all black people are not a part of the "underclass" and don't seek to kill you. My ancestors were slaves and I personally would like to meet the family that enslaved them and talk to them about their own family history so that I can get a sense of my own. I have a unique last name and it is based on the family who owned mine's surname so I have "met" some of them online but not in person. Even my crazy family members who are more...I'll say violent natured did not want to kill them. They thought the info I found out from that family was interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies