Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So are you saying that some people (of your choosing) aren't worthy of good representation during a trial?
Being a mother, I wouldn't represent a client who I thought was guilty of child abuse or molestation. Being an American, I wouldn't represent a business who robs the American people through unethical practices. Someone would. Someone represented OJ, Scott Peterson and Casey Anthony...there is always someone to do it, especially if the money is good. This doesn't change the fact that a lawyer can refuse a case and for someone who prides himself on his moral values and claims to care so much about the people this is a contradiction. I'm not surprised though, everything he does is.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:11 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Being a mother, I wouldn't represent a client who I thought was guilty of child abuse or molestation. Being an American, I wouldn't represent a business who robs the American people through unethical practices. Someone would. Someone represented OJ, Scott Peterson and Casey Anthony...there is always someone to do it, especially if the money is good. This doesn't change the fact that a lawyer can refuse a case and for someone who prides himself on his moral values and claims to care so much about the people this is a contradiction. I'm not surprised though, everything he does is.
You're a walking barrel of contradictions with no room to speak at this point. You are saying that someone accused or a serious crime doesn't deserve representation with moral values, that's insane.

Attorneys are paid to represent a client, some even represent clients who plead GUILTY. Even someone who is guilty of a crime deserves fair representation in a court of law.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
This thread makes a case for lynching as a legal form of punishment.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Being a mother, I wouldn't represent a client who I thought was guilty of child abuse or molestation.

Now, you understand why there are many cases like that with plea deals, and convictions with bad representation and the attorney still making the cheese off the client.
Attorneys would starve if they just represented the innocent.
The advantage is to know the law better than your opponent.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:26 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Attorneys would starve if they just represented the innocent.
And they'd have to be judge and jury, and prejudge, before the case even got to court!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:31 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
He fought to defend shady practices of big business!

Was Cruz more concerned with the hours he could bill for a case than questions of right or wrong?

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/polit...te-in-2012.ece
Cruz is not the guy one would associate with words such as morals, integrity or scruples. He will go where the money is. He cost the nation 24 billion to get himself a million in campaign donations. Rafael Cruz knows damn well that the right wing loves angry guys that demonize the POTUS and the middle class. It pays too well fot Rafael to pass up.

The Ted Cruz Filibuster Paid Off ? for Ted Cruz! - Philip Bump - The Atlantic Wire
Ted Cruz raises $1.19 million in third quarter

Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
An attorney doesn't have to represent a client unless he chooses to. These were his choices. This reveals quite a bit about his character, or lack thereof.
I am no fan of Ted Cruz. Having said this, he's a hired gun. Anyone can sue anyone about anything. That one sues does not make them right. Law firms are hired to defend clients. Lawyers compete to defend the most heinous of crimes. That's how the legal system works.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You're a walking barrel of contradictions with no room to speak at this point. You are saying that someone accused or a serious crime doesn't deserve representation with moral values, that's insane.

Attorneys are paid to represent a client, some even represent clients who plead GUILTY. Even someone who is guilty of a crime deserves fair representation in a court of law.
Really? I am not going to continue a discussion south people who have nothing more to offer than personal insults and taking my words out of context. For the last time, he touts himself on moral values and claims to care about people, but is representing the other side. As an attorney, he has choices. No one forced him to represent these clients, which goes to show that him and his supporters are full of ****. He couldn't care less about the American people. By the way, I have sat in plenty of courtrooms. I know how it works.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Really? I am not going to continue a discussion south people who have nothing more to offer than personal insults and taking my words out of context. For the last time, he touts himself on moral values and claims to care about people, but is representing the other side. As an attorney, he has choices. No one forced him to represent these clients, which goes to show that him and his supporters are full of ****. He couldn't care less about the American people. By the way, I have sat in plenty of courtrooms. I know how it works.
Ted Cruz represents people who are still people, whether you like it or not even a murder deserves a fair trial and good representation. You dislike Cruz's politics, I get that part... but he's an attorney and representing people is/was his job. You don't know any of the details of those cases other than what you're read in this thread. Everyone deserves their day in court if they want it, regardless of what they're accused of. You may be ok with claiming to be too good or too moral to represent someone like that but then someone has to step up and do the job.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am no fan of Ted Cruz. Having said this, he's a hired gun. Anyone can sue anyone about anything. That one sues does not make them right. Law firms are hired to defend clients. Lawyers compete to defend the most heinous of crimes. That's how the legal system works.
Yep and a lawyer chooses his area of law and can refuse any case he chooses to. I know how it works. When he attempted to put his foot down about Obamacare and cost the nation billions in doing so, he said he did it for the people. When he chose to represent these clients, he did it for the money and that does say something about his character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies