Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
How cute, looks like someone joined "Team Obamacare."

Obama: 'I'm asking you to be a part of Team Obamacare.' - POLITICO.com
Seriously, why would I turn against my own people and support something that will be so devastating to the country. I wouldn't do it even if he paid me off to do it: Ravens drawing criticism for “pushing” Obamacare | ProFootballTalk

What it does is force the rest of us to help cover those that run to the doctor and have medical problems, many self-inflicted. Also, this won't cover the illegal immigrants and their baby machines, got to get those anchor babies pushed out!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Really? People with pre-existing conditions or too old or too poor to buy insurance would go back to the private market so they could NOT buy insurance? Those "types" of insurance have existed since day one.

Man, my car ran out of gas because I can't afford gas! If only I could drive my gasless car to the gas station to buy gas I can't afford!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkennyn View Post
Just making insurance more affordable doesn't negate the real issue which is cost of treatment itself and treatment itself lends itself to traditional market forces poorly because the demand is inelastic.

If health insurance is more affordable then that is a great thing, but it still doesn't negate the fact that everyone regardless of insurance gets covered for emergency (i.e., expensive) treatment. Without us all being insured or incurring a penalty of some kind it doesn't properly penalize those who fail to secure treatment, so we are indirectly subsidizing their malfeasance anyway, unless of course we passed a law to turn away people without coverage.

At least with a system designed like the ACA, it forces everyone to have SOME skin in the game.

This really isn't true though. Look at the healthcare industry prior to company-sponsored insurance plans. It was an extremely affordable system for virtually everyone. It was government imposed wage ceilings during WWII that pushed employers (and insurance companies) into healthcare in the united states in the first place. That was the start of our path towards expensive health care. Prior to that, the system was affordable enough that people simply could pay for their health care like any other product.

That is the problem today. People are ignorant to the history of how we got to where we are today.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
You just knew this was going to happen:

Obamacare launch spawns 700+ cyber-squatters capitalizing on Healthcare.gov, state exchanges | WashingtonExaminer.com

Not blaming the Dems for this. Just making it somewhat tougher to navigate to the correct site that one is mandated to enroll in.

Usually I would be concerned about something like this, but I think savvy web surfers will quickly realize that they are on one of these phony sites because unlike www.healthcare.turd, the phony sites actually work, and work pretty quickly.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Let me guess OP, Obama is going to put his A team on it.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:30 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
.....................................snip...a Medicare for all form of single payer .......................snip.....
uhm

at least get you DEFINATIONS straight

singlepayer....means ONE PAYER of the bill

medicare is a 80/20 INSURANCE which you sometimes need to BUY an additional supplemental insurance

you cant have 'medicare for all' and call it 'singlepayer'....

and btw
we the taxpayer cant afford a medicare for all OR a singlepayer

Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Candidate Barack Hussein Obama in 2008.........." if we can put a man on the moon , don't tell me we can't...................."

Design an Obamacare enrollment system that works ?

.......make Nancy Pelosi somehow appear attractive?

.......figure out that I have not one but TWO illegal immigrant relatives living in the US?

The possibilities are endless with a statement like the one he made in 2008.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:33 AM

63 posts, read 47,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This really isn't true though. Look at the healthcare industry prior to company-sponsored insurance plans. It was an extremely affordable system for virtually everyone. It was government imposed wage ceilings during WWII that pushed employers (and insurance companies) into healthcare in the united states in the first place. That was the start of our path towards expensive health care. Prior to that, the system was affordable enough that people simply could pay for their health care like any other product.

That is the problem today. People are ignorant to the history of how we got to where we are today.
I'm well aware of wage controls during WW2 and it's link to healthcare being tied to employment. The issue is that healthcare is already extremely expensive. Simply decoupling healthcare from employment or tearing down FDA regulations for drug market competition, or any of the other answer espoused by free-market healthcare advocates will do little to alter the cost of the "big-money" procedures. The cost of treatment for things like cold meds, chiro treatment, massages, accupuncture, or other non-acute issues would fair fine under traditional market mechanisms because they have some degree of elasticity in their demand. The major money procedures (chemo, bypasses, organ transplants, limp replacements, ortho surgery, hip replacements, large scans w/ chemical contrast agents, etc) don't possess the same degree of elasticity because we need these for either our immediate comfort or... to not die. We just don't have the ability to effectively negotiate these treatments because we have a physical, and in some cases, a mortal need for them. Companies that provide treatment can, and should, operate like a business. Their interest in making money...not keeping people healthy for as cheap as possible. That is why I believe a federal agent with 100% of the "skin" in the game is a better option because it has EVERY incentive to ensure that we are not only healthy, but to ensure that we are for as inexpensive as possible. Countries that do this effectively pay lower costs for practically all procedures and do so with a smaller portion of their GDP. What is more, we don't see better results for the most part on the major health metrics for our exponentially higher costs of treament.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM

63 posts, read 47,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Let me guess OP, Obama is going to put his A team on it.
Yes. I think he will. I think he'll work to devote a lot of resources to this, because his presidency will probably end up being defined by it.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Yes. I think he will. I think he'll work to devote a lot of resources to this, because his presidency will probably end up being defined by it.
I think you can make the case that his presidency has already been defined by it.

In mathematical terms, it looks like this:

3+ years of development + hundreds of millions of dollars invested = a complete failure.

You can add to the left side of the equation, but that doesn't change the outcome.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
I'm well aware of wage controls during WW2 and it's link to healthcare being tied to employment. The issue is that healthcare is already extremely expensive. Simply decoupling healthcare from employment or tearing down FDA regulations for drug market competition, or any of the other answer espoused by free-market healthcare advocates will do little to alter the cost of the "big-money" procedures. The cost of treatment for things like cold meds, chiro treatment, massages, accupuncture, or other non-acute issues would fair fine under traditional market mechanisms because they have some degree of elasticity in their demand. The major money procedures (chemo, bypasses, organ transplants, limp replacements, ortho surgery, hip replacements, large scans w/ chemical contrast agents, etc) don't possess the same degree of elasticity because we need these for either our immediate comfort or... to not die. We just don't have the ability to effectively negotiate these treatments because we have a physical, and in some cases, a mortal need for them. Companies that provide treatment can, and should, operate like a business. Their interest in making money...not keeping people healthy for as cheap as possible. That is why I believe a federal agent with 100% of the "skin" in the game is a better option because it has EVERY incentive to ensure that we are not only healthy, but to ensure that we are for as inexpensive as possible. Countries that do this effectively pay lower costs for practically all procedures and do so with a smaller portion of their GDP. What is more, we don't see better results for the most part on the major health metrics for our exponentially higher costs of treament.
I understand what you are saying, but it is a somewhat shortsighted solution. We have to start with the end goal in mind, and that should be a non-monopolistic loosely regulated competitive free market system. Enacting something like ACA is a step even farther away from that goal. It is a solution that promises to help people immediately while creating a system that will be even worse and even less cost effective for future generations. Will any sort of reform to deregulate health care cause short term pain? Absolutely, but there are times when a path to recovery means things get worse before they get better. I would much rather work to deregulate the health care system (knowing that it will cause pain for a few years) if that means we have a shot at leaving our children's generation with something sustainable.

ACA is attempting to use a shot of morphine to heal a dislocated shoulder. It absolutely makes you feel better, but the correct thing to do is to relocate it back into place, regardless of how painful that action is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies