Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,437,689 times

Advertisements

Short answer:

Because an improving economy would put the president in a favorable light.

It really is that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,139,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Paid for with tax dollars. They are hardly the private sector.

All the while, the largest PRIVATELY funded job was turned down, (and while I'm not going to discuss the pro's, cons, and employment #'s of the job in this thread since it's now a dead issue) does the name Keystone ring any bells?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 AM

58,936 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Obama's Jobs Speech To Congress- Full Video - YouTube

I never read much into it until now, it seems like something that both the Democrats and Republicans would like. Of course it's too late to pass it now considering we once again need to create another debt commission or implement Simpson-Bowles but overall it seems like a bill that I would've proposed to spur growth. So what was the problem with this bill?

Sorry, I meant to say American Jobs Act, not Jobs Act.
If you want serious answers you need to provide some of the things you like and some of the things you don't like.

Very few are going to look up and read an entire bill.

P.S. if you believe ANYTHING Obama says in a speech, you haven't been following his speeches for the past 5 YEARS.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,256,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Hell, half of the time Republicans turn against their own bills just because the President says he agrees with it and would like to see it passed.
To add/
Odd how the Republicans have had it in for this President from the moment they laid eyes on him. They were denigrating the guy before he was even inaugurated.I've noticed the hate for this President has only increased as time goes on.
For me Presidents come and Presidents go they're all about the same in as much as they try and please all the people all the time,sometimes you agree with them sometimes you dont but this President has brought out an extra level of hate and intolerance directed his way from his opponents, its a knee-jerk reaction from the right to completely oppose anything the President wants to put forward.It passed the weird phase some time ago and is now in depraved territory...
Jobs bill? , Obama could come up with a bill that would put every one back to work and the GOP would still vote no.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 AM

746 posts, read 1,241,931 times
I wish I saw some sign of improvement.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:51 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,939,543 times
The Jobs Act. Oh boy! With a name like that, it must be good. This my friends, is the typical mindset of your average Democrat voter. Perhaps you folks need to actually read what's in the bill before getting all gung ho on passing it. Oh wait, your party leader advised this isn't necessary.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,796,855 times
I would say because even those in the party center would vote for it after his shovel ready stimulus in which he promised to keep unemployment at 7% and create huge numbers of jobs while renewing massive amount of infrastructure.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,670,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Obama's Jobs Speech To Congress- Full Video - YouTube

I never read much into it until now, it seems like something that both the Democrats and Republicans would like. Of course it's too late to pass it now considering we once again need to create another debt commission or implement Simpson-Bowles but overall it seems like a bill that I would've proposed to spur growth. So what was the problem with this bill?

Sorry, I meant to say American Jobs Act, not Jobs Act.
Most times the name politicians create for some bill, the actually bill ends up causing the complete opposite, i.e. the ACA.

Too many in Washington think a bill to create jobs is just one that pays to build something in a politician's district. To me, that's just busy work, resurface a road or repaint a bridge and when it's finished, no jobs are created from it and we are back where we were. These shovel ready jobs bills are a waste, Obama told us they don't ready create jobs like they initially think they do.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Most times the name politicians create for some bill, the actually bill ends up causing the complete opposite, i.e. the ACA.

Too many in Washington think a bill to create jobs is just one that pays to build something in a politician's district. To me, that's just busy work, resurface a road or repaint a bridge and when it's finished, no jobs are created from it and we are back where we were. These shovel ready jobs bills are a waste, Obama told us they don't ready create jobs like they initially think they do.
Most jobs are busy jobs, even in those in very large private corporations. No job is secure and forever. And all Americans are replaceable. Welcome to The New Economy.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,581,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Short answer:

Because an improving economy would put the president in a favorable light.
True. Improving economy is their worst nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies