Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,184,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Explain what's wrong.

Liberalism is an ideology of using government to direct wages, prices, industry, redistributing incomes and wealth, according to the tenets of the ideology.

I can find nothing that distinguishes that from fascism.

From an actual dictionary:

Fascism

: a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government

: very harsh control or authority

often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Liberalism

belief in the value of social and political change in order to achieve progress

a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties; specifically : such a philosophy that considers government as a crucial instrument for amelioration of social inequities (as those involving race, gender, or class)

a theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market, and the gold standard

Source:

Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
No, it means you can still be arrogant and ignorant and STILL be a professor.

They do not value it AT ALL.

I can't imagine how you can be this ignorant.

The Constitution is not vague. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I don't have any "secret" answers. In fact, what I know is nothing extraordinary at all. The only difference between me and you... is that I have adopted principles instead of politics, and think and apply principles to decide what is good, instead of choosing what to be for, and then searching for arguments for it.
2.) How can you say that liberals don't value freedom? Do you even understand what it's like to actually be in a politically unfree state? The irony is that you're under the power of who you believe to be a fascist neo-Stalinist dictator, while you publicly berate him on the internet with no fear of repercussion. It's a sick joke for people who have actually died for rights that you take for granted.

3.) Before, you said that conservatives know MORE than liberals. Now you're downgrading your claim to knowing something "different", which is much more in line with reality

Old 10-22-2013, 09:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
2.) How can you say that liberals don't value freedom? Do you even understand what it's like to actually be in a politically unfree state? The irony is that you're under the power of who you believe to be a fascist neo-Stalinist dictator, while you publicly berate him on the internet with no fear of repercussion. It's a sick joke for people who have actually died for rights that you take for granted.
no, they do not value freedom in the slightest. That's not a joke, that's absolute fact.

Quote:
3.) Before, you said that conservatives know MORE than liberals. Now you're downgrading your claim to knowing something "different", which is much more in line with reality
Yes, they do know more than liberals.

What amazes me, is that you think that "freedom" is defined as not being punished for posting on a forum.

You really have no concept of what it is, nor why our extreme losses of it have all but destroyed the country.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
If lefties knew HOW to think, we wouldn't need to teach you.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Amazing- the opposite is true.

Liberals want

1. Fairness doctrine- silencing opposition radio

2. FOX news to be shut down- the only television opposite view point

3. Preventing free speech on college campuses
a. political correctness
b. shouting down conservative speakers
c. banning the military or conservative groups from recruiting

4. Censoring books and media deemed "offensive" (Mark Twain works)

5. Preventing private prayers in public institutions

6. Forcing citizens to buy healthcare, even if they don't want it

7. Imposing liberal views of contraception and abortion on the Catholic Church

8. Attempts to limit 2nd amendment rights

9. Forcing family farms to break up due to inheritance taxes

10. Forcing all citizens to pay higher energy costs due to liberal desires to curb fossil fuels

11. exposing the nation to cheap labor with a high crime rate by promoting unchecked illegal immigration

12. confiscation of assets and income in order to pay for programs only liberals want

Libs are the new fascists, who are perfectly willing to sacrifice personal rights and liberty in a quest for the liberal state.

1, 2, 3, 4) Find me anyone with actual political power (not a raving idiot) who wants to do these things. You even have a tone of being against open speech here; apparently conservative speakers should be able to go on college campuses and their opponents should be silent. There are certainly some family values liberals who are in favor of restricting books and video games but not everyone is aligned with them, as I'm sure you're not aligned with some of the Jesus freaks within your ranks.

5) No one wants to prevent private prayers anywhere. How is this even possible?

6) Your freedom from healthcare is my freedom to be forced to pay for your emergency room visits.

7) Their freedom to not provide these services imposes on women's freedoms to not have their employee dictate their medical care.

8) Your freedom to own guns can be construed as imposing on my freedom to not die from bullets.

***(Do you understand the idea here? This is why you're not "free" to come and ***** on my house)

9-12) None of these things impose on your personal freedoms. Doing something you don't like is not the same as being Stalinist.

Basically, this is the conservative crybaby view of the country. It's a pathetic state of this country to watch grown men complain about having to pay taxes while people in some parts of the world ACTUALLY SUFFER AND DIE FOR THEIR FREEDOM. It'll be sad if/when our democracy is actually upended and no one thinks it's a big deal because Fox and Limbaugh have been crying wolf for so long.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
no, they do not value freedom in the slightest. That's not a joke, that's absolute fact.

Yes, they do know more than liberals.

What amazes me, is that you think that "freedom" is defined as not being punished for posting on a forum.

You really have no concept of what it is, nor why our extreme losses of it have all but destroyed the country.

We live in a representative democracy. Find me a liberal that doesn't respect this system or appreciate what it's done for our country.

So you reversed your previous position and now once again claim you have found the answers that half of the country is overlooking. Oh how I wish I could be so enlightened, great one .

Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
1, 2, 3, 4) Find me anyone with actual political power (not a raving idiot) who wants to do these things. You even have a tone of being against open speech here; apparently conservative speakers should be able to go on college campuses and their opponents should be silent. There are certainly some family values liberals who are in favor of restricting books and video games but not everyone is aligned with them, as I'm sure you're not aligned with some of the Jesus freaks within your ranks.
You got a Congress full of them. Did you not know that?

Quote:
5) No one wants to prevent private prayers anywhere. How is this even possible?
Sure they do. How could you not know that?

Quote:
6) Your freedom from healthcare is my freedom to be forced to pay for your emergency room visits.
Wholly and utterly wrong.

Quote:
7) Their freedom to not provide these services imposes on women's freedoms to not have their employee dictate their medical care.
How can an employer prevent someone from having medical care?

Quote:
8) Your freedom to own guns can be construed as imposing on my freedom to not die from bullets.
How?

Quote:
9-12) None of these things impose on your personal freedoms. Doing something you don't like is not the same as being Stalinist.
They ALL take away your freedoms.

Quote:
Basically, this is the conservative crybaby view of the country. It's a pathetic state of this country to watch grown men complain about having to pay taxes while people in some parts of the world ACTUALLY SUFFER AND DIE FOR THEIR FREEDOM. It'll be sad if/when our democracy is actually upended and no one thinks it's a big deal because Fox and Limbaugh have been crying wolf for so long.
So that's the new talking points going around? Anyone who wants their freedom is a 'crybaby'?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, that among those rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

The "self evident" aspects seem to have completely escaped your attention. As well as almost everything about a just society, as well.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
We live in a representative democracy. Find me a liberal that doesn't respect this system or appreciate what it's done for our country.
No, we do not. We live in a republic, where government is delegated a few powers, and the rest are reserved to us, the people. We are not a democracy, decisions are not left to popular vote, because popular vote is mob rule.

Quote:
So you reversed your previous position and now once again claim you have found the answers that half of the country is overlooking. Oh how I wish I could be so enlightened, great one .
I haven't reversed anything. Is it completely beyond your capacity to honestly debate?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I see you used Merriam-Webster's Dictionary for People Who Like To Pull Things Out of Their A**.

Good for you.
It's the FOxford Dictionary of Bull-caca with Illustrations.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Explain how they're different.

Fascism: An authoritarian ideology which allows private ownership of industry, but directs it according to political goals.

Liberalism: An authoritarian ideology which allows private ownership of industry, but wants it directed according to political goals.

Compariing those two... Liberals are fascists who haven't succeeded yet.
You lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies