Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Then he's acting white and is a self-hating black person to thugs. He's not really culturally black anymore but pretends to think he is, probably as a result of his need to feel like he belongs or guilt over those he "left behind" when he evolved as a human being. Again, there's nothing wrong with that and I commend anyone who follows in his footsteps. He's picked a side, and it's the right side. He's acting white and left the thug lifestyle behind.
"Acting White"? By not acting like a thug, said person is "acting White"? Why can't a Black person be allowed to be just "normal"? Why does it have to be "if you don't speak Ebonics or act like a thug it's 'acting white' ". Why is it that if a Black person is "nerdy" said person is "acting White"? Why can't leaving the thug life behind be considered "being normal" instead of "acting white"?

Ask this: Where did this word "acting White" come from?

Old 10-31-2013, 06:50 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
"Acting White"? By not acting like a thug, said person is "acting White"? Why can't a Black person be allowed to be just "normal"?
That's my point exactly. The term thugs use is "acting white". I refer to it as acting normal. You can't assimilate and then suggest to people that you're identifying with "African American culture". Even though I was raised in Europe, I don't try to suggest to people that I am European-American or identify with some subculture. The best European analogy is how Gypsies sometimes assimilate to the mainstream culture. They leave behind the crime, filth and despair among their subculture akin to the thug lifestyle. It's regrettable that your cousin succumbed to peer pressure by pretend that he's still a part of the "black culture". Glad we could come to agreement.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Then he's acting white and is a self-hating black person to thugs. He's not really culturally black anymore but pretends to think he is, probably as a result of his need to feel like he belongs or guilt over those he "left behind" when he evolved as a human being. Again, there's nothing wrong with that and I commend anyone who follows in his footsteps. He's picked a side, and it's the right side. He's acting white and left the thug lifestyle behind.
Quote:
That's my point exactly. The term thugs use is "acting white". I refer to it as acting normal. You can't assimilate and then suggest to people that you're identifying with "African American culture". Even though I was raised in Europe, I don't try to suggest to people that I am European-American or identify with some subculture. The best European analogy is how Gypsies sometimes assimilate to the mainstream culture. They leave behind the crime, filth and despair among their subculture akin to the thug lifestyle. It's regrettable that your cousin succumbed to peer pressure by pretend that he's still a part of the "black culture". Glad we could come to agreement.
LOL at you.

FWIW, I'm a nerdy black woman. Am I "acting white?" Just because I am naturally nerdy lol.

Also, thugs are not prevalent amongst black people. Neither are Uncle Toms. You state you were raised in Europe so you probably have that European racism thing going on depending on where you were reared in Europe, but on the whole black Americans are "normal" and we "act normal" like everyone else, white, Hispanic, Asian, native, multi-racial, etc.

Also I cannot, and neither can my two relatives who married white women "assimilate" into mainstream American culture. By nature of the fact that we are Americans (and that is my mom's side of the family and we have been in America since the early 1700s that I have traced so far, one section was even a free black family in PA, others were enslaved - in MS and VA - but later landowners in Ohio within 15 years of the Civil War, two of my known relatives fought in the Civil War) we are already a part of America. We don't need to assimilate. Someone like you would need to assimilate because you are not culturally American. You are culturally European.

Black people do not claim a thug sub-culture, nor do we define ourselves on "the least" of ours - the black underclass that exist in this country. You may wish to define us that way, but on the whole we don't and the majority of us do not associate with or live in that world.

We are Americans. We can marry who we like. We can live where we want. We can speak how we like. We can be nerdy, and silly and funny and talented and intelligent without denying our blackness. If anything, my nerdy cousin especially is VERY proud of our roots as black people in America. We come from strong people. Smart people. People who could endure and overcome obstacles. He teaches his own children (who are bi-racial) to be proud as well of their black roots.

Black people are not just thugs or uncle toms (and LOL at you, I pity your ignorance if you are being genuine because thinking that is just ridiculous).

I guess I am an "uncle tomina" lol. Even though I do live amongst poor black people, I make a good living and am nerdy. Or maybe because of where I live, you would consider me a "thuggette" lol. You are too much!!

Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
there is no such thing as acting white. acting white is what white people say to try and antagonize you. i have never heard a black person tell me i acted white, and i lived in a suburb in a middle class family, did well at school, and never got in trouble.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Man, some people don't get out much. Being a white kid in a majority black school allowed me to see that *gasp* people are people and there are all different kinds. I find that some black people may play into a certain stereotype for racist white people when it is to their benefit, but AA of course have all different types of personalities just like whites, asians, hispanics, etc.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Seems to me that dark black chicks for the most part have been left behind all together.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:22 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
We are Americans. We can marry who we like. We can live where we want. We can speak how we like. We can be nerdy, and silly and funny and talented and intelligent without denying our blackness. If anything, my nerdy cousin especially is VERY proud of our roots as black people in America. We come from strong people. Smart people. People who could endure and overcome obstacles. He teaches his own children (who are bi-racial) to be proud as well of their black roots.
Wow, you really have a problem with people agreeing with you, don't ya?

BTW, a female Uncle Tom is an Aunt Jemima. There's nothing wrong with the fact that you're one of them. You should be proud that you don't adopt a thug lifestyle and should take it as a bonus that you're referred to one by the thug community. Congrats!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Wow, you really have a problem with people agreeing with you, don't ya?

BTW, a female Uncle Tom is an Aunt Jemima. There's nothing wrong with the fact that you're one of them. You should be proud that you don't adopt a thug lifestyle and should take it as a bonus that you're referred to one by the thug community. Congrats!

LOL, don't have a problem with people not agreeing or agreeing with me, but I do find crazy people hilarious so sometimes I get into conversations with you all on this forum! Maybe I am misunderstanding you though as from what I'm getting, you are thinking that a black person who marries a white person is an Uncle Tom - just because of that. Or that they are a "thug" if they shun "assimilation" with mainstream American society. BTW, again, black people are American and are already a part of mainstream American society. We are not very different from other Americans.

According to your comments, I am an Aunt Jemima then (BTW, I'm married to a black man and live in the hood and am "for the blacks" so how would that qualify me as an Aunt Jemima). I better go find a red rag to tie around my head.

And I know a few thugs btw due to living where I live and having a couple of them in my own family. They don't think I'm an Aunt Jemima. They think I'm smart and am a good mother. The thugs in my family even were very supportive of me growing up, in their skewed way (if a "dude" messed with me they would kick his a$$ so guys knew not to start stuff with me because of that!). I also have no poor view of someone you may think of as a "thug." People have many facets in their lives and many labels. I don't view someone who marries outside the race as an Uncle Tom/Aunt Jemima either and neither do many "thugs." They have other things to think about versus placing ridiculous labels on people.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 11-01-2013 at 09:29 AM..

Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Man, some people don't get out much. Being a white kid in a majority black school allowed me to see that *gasp* people are people and there are all different kinds. I find that some black people may play into a certain stereotype for racist white people when it is to their benefit, but AA of course have all different types of personalities just like whites, asians, hispanics, etc.
Thanks for being normal!

That is rare around here.

I can attest that there are all different kinds of people.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
People also marry outside their culture as it is a chance to trade up. A nerdy balding Jewish CPA who is rich can marry a super hot Asian girl. They often value Education and money more than looks.

A dark ugly singer like seal marries heidi klum his kids look great. if he mixed with a similar dark ugly women his kids would look like him. UGGGGG, can you imagine a female Seal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies