Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Teaching for 27 years.
Ah, so your data is skewed to a particular area of the country.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
The bold brings a lot of ghetto culture with it, so I'm not surprised that you were picked on by the White crowd there. Some predominantly white schools are very rough for minorities. Not surprised about the black crowd joining in during high school either. In my high school, there were rough kids of every background. The fights that I witnessed will forever be etched in my mind. SMH.

Personally, I loved high school, despite the few bumps in the road. My friends were of all backgrounds, the two closest being Hispanic and Asian. It seems that most of my friends & acquaintances were the first generation born here. Now that I look back, there were a good bit of us which was nice for me. And even though I was much more studious than my closest friends, that was never an issue between us. It was never something I was picked on for.

My sister is also younger than me and attended a different high school in the area. She is bright and extremely artistic. Naturally she ended up making friends within the artistic, eccentric crowd, the kind that were into Japanese Anime and such. So she had friends of all backgrounds since that crowd tends to be a mix. Outside of that, certain of black girls there were really mean to her though.

So although neither my sister or I were popular, we did find our groups.

People of all backgrounds tended to date each other in my HS and my sister's HS. Looking back again, that was really nice. And now, forget about it...don't move to the area if you can't handle your child with someone of another background. Looking back again, that was quite nice.

Makes me sad that you went to prom alone. :-( Are you in college now? No nice girls there or are you shy?
I've always said that redneck culture and ghetto culture are similar in some ways. Interesting thing is this. Many of the Black students who went to my high school perpetrated the "ghetto culture". Sometimes you had clashes between Blacks who were part of ghetto culture and Whites who were part of redneck culture. There were some White kids in my high school who pretty much admitted to being "stupid" and "trashy", and pretty much treated it like a badge of honor. I actually got into a few fights in high school. I got jumped on by White kids, as well as Black kids. What kind of fights did you see?

High school did have some good times. I remember some good teachers, and I did have some friends. I was kind of a drifting type. I never really had one set crowd I hung out with for the most part. I sat with and tried to ally with the persons who understood me and treated me the kindest. I also made it a point to befriend some of the foreign exchange students or a foreigner who came. I got along very with students who came from other states, particularly northern states.

Actually, my school wasn't very diverse. It was around 10-15% Black, and probably around 80-85% White. There were very few Hispanics and Asians at my school. I would say there were maybe 8 or 9 Hispanic students in my school, and maybe 6 or 7 Asians in my high school.

As for how I got on with Whites, it often depended on culture, and in many cases, gender. I got along okay with some of the preppy White kids, particularly the soccer players. I didn't get along with rednecks. There was also White kids who weren't "rednecks" but who were just "bums" and "trashy". I got picked on by some of them as well. It was mainly the kids who were more "lower class" who gave me the most crap. And between the guys and girls, I got along with the girls better.

With Blacks, it was the same thing. I got along much better with Blacks who behaved similar to me that I did with Blacks who behaved "ghetto".

I think your sister and my sister might have gotten along quite well. My sister, well, it was like this. She went with the kids who accepted her. Many of the Black girls were mean to her, claiming that she wasn't "Black enough". Some of the middle-upper class White girls and the popular White girls didn't really get the close to her. For that reason, my sister tended to hang around more of the artsy types and the eccentric types.

My night at the prom, looking back, it could have been better. I did try to get a girlfriend when I was in high school. It never worked out. After while, I just gave up on it. I wasn't disappointed about going to the prom alone because I did get to dance with someone. That and I didn't expect much. Looking back, it could have been better.

I actually graduated from college. While I was in college, I did get to point where I did want a girlfriend. It never really worked for me. I've had alot of female friends, but never a girlfriend. Some women didn't like me for one reason or another. And the older I have gotten, the more picky I've become.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Ah, so your data is skewed to a particular area of the country.
Oldhag's observations reflect the national trend.

//www.city-data.com/forum/31917899-post45.html

Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

This is a very broad generalization. I highly doubt that black girls get together at a school just to treat black boys as "the enemy." Also this wouldn't be a factor in them "fitting in" since, if we are speaking of a majority white school, it wouldn't matter if they treated black boys like "the enemy."

Like I stated above, it is usually due to black girls sticking with hanging out with black girls or other sympathetic girls who aren't a part of the "mean girl" crowd. Mean girls are usually more popular and "fit in" better than the social outcast girl.

I was a nerdy girl and most of my friends in high school were nerdy white girls and Asian girls (I'm black). I got along with practically everyone but I wasn't "popular" so one could say I didn't "fit in" well. FWIW I went to an inner city school that was highly diverse. I was an Honors student though and we didn't have many black girls in my Honors program as we took most of our classes separate from the general student body. Like green_mariner's sister, some of the black girls did try to pick on me and treat me harshly but I could fight and kicked a couple butts in jr. high so had a reputation as a nerd not to be messed with. I was popular with the nerdy white kids because I kind of protected my nerdy brethren lol. But I was involved in a lot of clubs and groups and activities in school and even though I didn't "fit in" I got along just fine and turned out a lot better off financially and career-wise than most of the "popular" mean girls or the black guys.
I think you misunderstood me. When I meant "they" I was talking about the school in general and not the black girls.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Such bs. Even the most churchiest, smart, sheltered black mid class black girls I know where always and only interested in black boys. I dated out a few times, but decided that I prefer black men. Very few of the popular black guys or the book smart black guys I know prefered black girls in hs. It was like they were too good for us. To be fair, many of the book smart guys didn't have too many options, but the football players ran to non black girls like they were made of gold.
I see you misunderstood me as well. I didn't say the black girls were treating the black boys like the enemy but the school system in general.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Oldhag's observations reflect the national trend.

//www.city-data.com/forum/31917899-post45.html
You're wasting your time. The guy doesn't like interracial marriage/relationships and he's not gonna accept any data that shows the trend being on an uptick.

He and i already had this argument a few years ago and he made his opinions quite clear.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you look across the board, in majority Black systems, in plurality Black systems, in majority White systems, in plurality White systems, Black males come in dead last in every single one of them, or next to last, there are a few where they beat Hispanic males.

I teach in the wealthiest, best educated Majority/Minority system in the US (suburban DC), and the school system rating for MD is Number 2, from the bottom, behind Baltimore City, arguably the poorest, least educated jurisdiction in the state (there's an Eastern Shore county which may hold that title this year).

The school I teach at is solidly middle class, 91% Black, with parents who range from doctors to general staff military officers to high ranking GS bureaucrats to skilled blue collar. The SAT scores, the AP scores the HSA pass rates, the graduation rates all lag behind the high school my personal children attended in a neighboring County which has worse demographics than where I teach (the County powers that be gloss that over in my home County, by the way). Why?

I often say that if I could answer that question I'd be retired and doing seminars a couple times a month and have my own private island.
This is an uncomfortable truth that gets little play in the media and is downright toxic to the Black middle class. The facts are on average Black middle class kids do no better than poor Whites academically.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Such bs. Even the most churchiest, smart, sheltered black mid class black girls I know where always and only interested in black boys. I dated out a few times, but decided that I prefer black men. Very few of the popular black guys or the book smart black guys I know prefered black girls in hs. It was like they were too good for us. To be fair, many of the book smart guys didn't have too many options, but the football players ran to non black girls like they were made of gold.
This does not surprise me. Do you feel like it is because many black girls (excluding foreign background) are raised to choose black boys? I've heard a number of women remark that they were told to stick to their own while the boys in their families are pressured to do this as much.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
To me the article appears to be spot on but at the end of the day it is irrelevant. Being cool is nice but if you're not doing well academically it is all for not.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
To me the article appears to be spot on but at the end of the day it is irrelevant. Being cool is nice but if you're not doing well academically it is all for not.
So if black kids aren't dominating the academic life of the school, how they get along socially is unimportant?

The piece isn't about academics. We know black kids lag for a million reasons, but the piece is talking about simple socialization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies