Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But my point was that support for gay marriage is increasing faster in the southern states than perhaps anywhere else. It's just that fewer people initially supported the idea (back when a majority in all states opposed it).
While the rate of growth in the South might well be greater than even in the Northeast, it's starting from a much lower base.

Ex. 1 person supports gay marriage in Mississippi and grows to 2 is a 100% increase in support.

3 million support gay marriage in Massachusetts and grows to 4 million is a 33% increase.

It sounds good for Mississippi, but the reality for the gay couple in MS isn't perceptively changed! Biloxi will not be "San Francisco on the Gulf" anytime soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 03:59 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
While the rate of growth in the South might well be greater than even in the Northeast, it's starting from a much lower base.

Ex. 1 person supports gay marriage in Mississippi and grows to 2 is a 100% increase in support.

3 million support gay marriage in Massachusetts and grows to 4 million is a 33% increase.

It sounds good for Mississippi, but the reality for the gay couple in MS isn't perceptively changed! Biloxi will not be "San Francisco on the Gulf" anytime soon!
I mean in terms of actual percentage points.

Between 2004 and 2012, support in Rhode Island increased by 8 percentage points.

9 percentage points in California during that time.

11 points in New Jersey.

16 in Alabama.

14 in South Carolina.

16 in Mississippi.

And 21 in South Dakota (not southern but very conservative nonetheless).

I don't think gay marriage is a social conservatism/liberalism litmus test any longer. It's becoming a mainstream view.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post

Precisely.

A real-world example - when crime rates fall, where do they fall the fastest? In places where they were among the worst to being with.

Another real-world example - which countries have the fastest-growing economies? Undeveloped-but-developing countries that are way behind the developed world.

The rapidity of their gains simply speaks to the fact that they were behind the curve to being with.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I mean in terms of actual percentage points.

Between 2004 and 2012, support in Rhode Island increased by 8 percentage points.

9 percentage points in California during that time.

11 points in New Jersey.

16 in Alabama.

14 in South Carolina.

16 in Mississippi.

And 21 in South Dakota (not southern but very conservative nonetheless).

I don't think gay marriage is a social conservatism/liberalism litmus test any longer. It's becoming a mainstream view.
How is this anything but expected? If these states actually keep up that pace, it'll be impressive.

What I suspect will happen is that it will slow down and eventually hit a bit of a wall, increasing only gradually as old voters die off and young ones take their place.

This whole thing reminds me of how people look at the first day or two of a kickstarter campaign and conclude that it's going to be a roaring success, only to have support slow to a trickle after the initial strong results.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
While most young people do support it, very few actually vote for it. Very few actually vote at all (talking about those who are of legal age to do so). So if they truly did care, then they would be out voting in favor of it, but despite those polls that gay activists like to link to so much, voter turnout says otherwise.

Furthermore, most young people only support it because they think it's "cool". It's a trend now, makes them feel special among their peers. I know several young people who only support gay marriage because Lady Gaga and Jay Z do. Eventually this will die down and they will find some new cool trend to follow and support for awhile until that dies down and they find another one. This is how young people are.
Got any evidence to support that? My son supports SSM and he doesn't like Lady GagGag and Jay Z.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:15 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Precisely.

A real-world example - when crime rates fall, where do they fall the fastest? In places where they were among the worst to being with.

Another real-world example - which countries have the fastest-growing economies? Undeveloped-but-developing countries that are way behind the developed world.

The rapidity of their gains simply speaks to the fact that they were behind the curve to being with.
Not "precisely." More like "wrong."

I'm talking about the actual proportion of the voting population supporting gay marriage.

For example, 42% of Rhode Islanders supported gay marriage in 2004. By 2012, 50% supported gay marriage. That's a difference of 8 percentage points.

In 2004, 18% of Mississippians supported gay marriage. By 2004, that figure was 34%. That's a difference of 16 percentage points.

So these states are closing ground fast.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
I was happy that my old home state of New Jersey finally got on the bandwagon. As far as my "adopted" state of North Carolina goes - like most of the South on progressive social issues, it will be dragged "whining and complaining" bringing up the rear, as usual!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Not "precisely." More like "wrong."

I'm talking about the actual proportion of the voting population supporting gay marriage.

For example, 42% of Rhode Islanders supported gay marriage in 2004. By 2012, 50% supported gay marriage. That's a difference of 8 percentage points.

In 2004, 18% of Mississippians supported gay marriage. By 2004, that figure was 34%. That's a difference of 16 percentage points.

So these states are closing ground fast.
Look, I get that you are terribly impressed that in 2012, Mississippi still lagged six points behind where Rhode Island was in 2004.

In 2012, when all the laughably ridiculous warnings of calamity - harm to children!, marriage will fall apart!, churches will be forced to marry gays! - had been proven false by eight years of same-sex marriage being legal in Massachusetts (and, for shorter periods, in several other jurisdictions), barely a third of Mississippians supported same-sex marriage. Rhode Island was at the fore, rejecting the alarmism. Mississippi is bringing up the rear, scratching its collective head in wonder that the marriage apocalypse never happened.

It's trivially easy to come around to supporting something long after it has become widely acceptable. It is a much more difficult thing to be among the vanguard of supporters.

But, hey, don't hurt yourself patting Mississippi on the back for being a lagging follower still way behind most of the country, just because it is lagging less than it did in the past...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies