Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,573,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes I do!!!

SOME PEOPLE HAVE WEAK MINDS AND PLAYING THIS GARBAGE ONLY MAKES IT WORSE FOR THEM!!!!!!!!

THEY CANT SEPERATE FANTASY FROM REALITY....... THESE TRASH GAMES ARE MEANT FOR BRAINWASHING AND CONDITIONING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one should be allowed to engage in playing this crap!!
So how do you explain that other countries play the same games, yet don't have our problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Okay, it seems video games come under fire every time there is a shooting or violent crime. News stations, such as Fox, blame these increasingly popular pass times as the reason for violent behavior in certain groups of people. They have pointed out that a lot of the criminals that commit these crimes played video games. They even try to say that video games were behind such acts as the Columbine shooting or the shooting in DC.
America has always been a violent country.

The first documented serial killer (excluding so-called Indian fighters) was H.H. Holmes whose reign of terror lasted from 1861 to 1896.

The worst mass killing took place in 1927 when Andrew Kehoe killed 38 elementary school children.

The first terrorist bombing known as the Haymarket Massacre took place in 1886 when persons unknown detonated a bomb during a labor rally. No one knows the full extent of the casualties except for the seven police officers killed.

Of course the first political assassination was in 1865 when John Wilkes Booth murdered Pres. Abraham Lincoln.

The worst race riot took place in 1921 in Tulsa Oklahoma when a mob of white Oklahomans attack the black community.

I don't have the time or the space to recount the number of massacres committed against Native people or the lynching committed by angry mobs who gathered from miles around to participate in the torture and mutilation and murder of thousands of men and women. Nor do I have the time or inclination to list all the acts of criminal violence committed in this country long before TV, movies or the internet were even thought of.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,675,828 times
Yes let's get rid of all video games then there will be no more killing. Miracles

Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Okay, it seems video games come under fire every time there is a shooting or violent crime. News stations, such as Fox, blame these increasingly popular pass times as the reason for violent behavior in certain groups of people. They have pointed out that a lot of the criminals that commit these crimes played video games. They even try to say that video games were behind such acts as the Columbine shooting or the shooting in DC.

DC gunman obsessed with violent video games, reports say | Fox News

I want to know what you think. Do you think video games are to blame?

Do you believe that violence in games increase aggression in people and make them want to go commit violent acts? Would removing violence from video games decrease violence by a noticeable amount?
I think technology is to blame. It has distanced us from our humanity. We have become desensitized to the reactions of others to our actions. Our world is us and what impacts us. This is a perfect storm for video games to insert violence against those who stand in my way. How much like the avatars in the game are other people when you connect or disconnect with them only through social media? We have whole generations that don't know how to interact with other humans. When they try, is it any surprise they can't control their anger?

We, seriously, need to unplug our kids and holler out the door, as my mother did, "Be home when the street lights come on"

I think video games and violent movies are part of the problem but not the entire problem. I think the stage was set for video games and violent movies to deliver a message deeper than we intended.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,877,650 times
Its interesting that some folks want to blame video games, but not TV, movies, music or other cultural influences. The bottom line is that we should blame the people who actually commit the crimes.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 PM

835 posts, read 1,038,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Its interesting that some folks want to blame video games, but not TV, movies, music or other cultural influences. The bottom line is that we should blame the people who actually commit the crimes.
People use those things as scapegoats. They don't want to address the actual Individual or .. ahem... the choice of weapons in these mass shootings.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 AM

142 posts, read 293,115 times
Quote:

Do you believe that violence in games increase aggression in people and make them want to go commit violent acts? Would removing violence from video games decrease violence by a noticeable amount?

I don't know how many of you remember this, but about 20 years ago there were outbreaks throughout the country of young people murdering and doing heinous crimes. The one thing most of the crimes had in common was the game Dungeons and Dragons. The media made a big outcry about how violence in the media was going to turn our children into monsters. Well, though the media seems to have developed amnesia today, the fact is their prophesies have come true. Violent content has gotten markedly worse, so graphic that it has totally desensitized generations to the violence. While I don't think that violence in the media is 100% responsible for the crimes of the youth today, I do believe that it has become a legitimate alternative for dealing with adversity. That is a huge problem.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,181,163 times
Quote:

Nothing more than the latest moral panic.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,767,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71
So how do you explain that other countries play the same games, yet don't have our problems?
Maybe they dont also engage in DIGITAL (ELECTRONIC) HARRASSMENT,a very real/scary thing the govt does to try and affect people!!

READ ABOUT IT: www.digital-stalking.com

Old 10-24-2013, 07:58 PM

835 posts, read 1,038,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Maybe they dont also engage in DIGITAL (ELECTRONIC) HARRASSMENT,a very real/scary thing the govt does to try and affect people!!

READ ABOUT IT: www.digital-stalking.com
Aren't you being a little paranoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies