Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There you go.....making sense again.
No. Two years is too long. People move around - some fees will be missed. And the registration folks are already collecting an annual fee and have all the systems in place to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No. Two years is too long. People move around - some fees will be missed. And the registration folks are already collecting an annual fee and have all the systems in place to do this.
It would just be an added fee to something people have to do already in the state every two years.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Theoretically Oregon is going to get atleast a 50% increase in revenue from any car that gets 30 miles to the gallon or less.

I am not getting how this is invasive or what ever you guys want to call it. Every time you take your car to a dealer, they record your mileage.
This is the state tracking every mile and motion of your vehicle.

I suppose you've never heard of this:
Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If anything this tax could be done every two years when one goes in for their emissions test.
Only a small part of Oregon does emissions tests.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Nobody is blaming Obama yet?
They don't need to. The Nazis that run Oregon are just as bad.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 PM

Seriously, Oregon doesn't need more money.

It needs to learn to prioritize what it has, and stop spending insanely on pipe dreams and rainbows.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:22 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
I know, I know - FIRST let's SUBSIDIZE people to buy electric/bat cars;

THEN, let's CHARGE people
for buying said electric/bat cars.

They'll never notice the duplicity -- and that we didn't realize this revenue problem!!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I know, I know - FIRST let's SUBSIDIZE people to buy electric/bat cars;

THEN, let's CHARGE people
for buying said electric/bat cars.

They'll never notice the duplicity -- and that we didn't realize this revenue problem!!
They ALWAYS have a "revenue problem". Oh, wait, that's not quite right. THEY ALWAYS HAVE BIGGER WISH LISTS THAN BUDGET, there, that was right.

Any excuse to grab more money, though, is perfectly acceptable to some of the people. Isn't that amazing?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Oregon launching new program to tax drivers per mile

Oregon is moving ahead with a controversial plan to tax motorists based on the number of miles they drive as opposed to the amount of fuel they consume, raising myriad concerns about cost and privacy.

The program, springing out of a recently signed bill, is expected to launch in 2015 on a volunteer basis. But it’s charting relatively new territory, and other states aching for additional tax revenue are sure to be watching closely to see whether to imitate the model.

The Oregon plan -- approved and signed into law this year by the state’s Democrat-run government -- would replace the 30-cents-a-gallon state tax with one for 1.5 cents a mile, for those participating.

Yuck. Who wants the government snoops tracking where they go?

This is what you get when you try to increase tax revenue OUTSIDE of what should occur - which is getting people jobs, increasing the economy and the GDP, etc.

The voluntary aspect will become mandatory. That's a no-brainer.

At least they are not keeping both consumption and gas purchase taxes... yet...
Good, now I have an excuse to by that haunted Plymouth Fury with the odometer that goes backwards I've had my eye on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies