Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times

Advertisements

The Rockmart Journal - Google News Archive Search

I know the words, "too confusing, very few signing up, and meager cost savings" don't sound familiar in these days, but way back when, that's what people used to say when Bush tried to change health care.
Some old folks like me remember it, though.

Check this out:
Bush Signs Law To Cover Drugs For the Elderly - NYTimes.com

Democrats immediately assailed the law. At a rally on Capitol Hill of labor leaders, representatives of the elderly and liberal lawmakers, the Democrats declared that the president's legislation was a sham that would destroy the venerable program. They maintained that theirs was the only party that could be counted on to protect Medicare.
''Who do you trust?'' Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Democrat of Massachusetts, shouted. ''The H.M.O.-coddling, drug-company-loving, Medicare-destroying, Social Security-hating Bush administration? Or do you trust Democrats, who created Medicare and will fight with you to defend it -- every day of every week of every year?''

Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
The Rockmart Journal - Google News Archive Search

I know the words, "too confusing, very few signing up, and meager cost savings" don't sound familiar in these days, but way back when, that's what people used to say when Bush tried to change health care.
Some old folks like me remember it, though.

Check this out:
Bush Signs Law To Cover Drugs For the Elderly - NYTimes.com

Democrats immediately assailed the law. At a rally on Capitol Hill of labor leaders, representatives of the elderly and liberal lawmakers, the Democrats declared that the president's legislation was a sham that would destroy the venerable program. They maintained that theirs was the only party that could be counted on to protect Medicare.
''Who do you trust?'' Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Democrat of Massachusetts, shouted. ''The H.M.O.-coddling, drug-company-loving, Medicare-destroying, Social Security-hating Bush administration? Or do you trust Democrats, who created Medicare and will fight with you to defend it -- every day of every week of every year?''

Actually, I hated it because it was literally the biggest ripoff in American history. The government's going to pay OTC prices for the largest wholesale drug purchase in history to companies that are giving campaign cash kickbacks to the politicians that supported it. (it was pitched in Congress by former Rep Billy Tauzin, who was making $2 million a year to push it).

Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Speaking of that, 24 billion dollars in lost earnings is a lot of free checkups. Talk about a ripoff. HA.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,948 times
Quote:
Speaking of that, 24 billion dollars in lost earnings is a lot of free checkups. Talk about a ripoff. HA.
didn't hussein blow like $800,000,000,000 on nothing like his first hour in office? remember the stimulus? that's right, no one does.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 PM

I do. I bet I hated the need for it, as much as most. Perhaps less than some. but perhaps more than others. I'm sure you can see the humor in now, with Republicans going all frothy nuts, and like, about a decade ago, when Democrats were doing the same thing.

So, is it the program, the man, or the party; what is the real issue?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I do. I bet I hated the need for it, as much as most. Perhaps less than some. but perhaps more than others. I'm sure you can see the humor in now, with Republicans going all frothy nuts, and like, about a decade ago, when Democrats were doing the same thing.

so democrats and republicans are arguing? I take it you're new to politics?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:

Program. It doesn't matter who tries to put through a program with the government involved in health care, it's the program that sucks.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
so democrats and republicans are arguing? I take it you're new to politics?
No. Not new to trolling either. What are your thoughts? Or do you just respond to other's thoughts?

Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
No. Not new to trolling either. What are your thoughts? Or do you just respond to other's thoughts?
my thoughts about democrats and republicans disagreeing? how bout, "that's politics."

Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
my thoughts about democrats and republicans disagreeing? how bout, "that's politics."
I take you are new to politics. See that person above, who said the same thing. It's almost like some kind of slam or taunt. I would never do this, of course. That would be too crass. Then again, maybe you actually thought I was. I'm not. There you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies