Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:21 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I am truely shock at the level of confusion on the right as to what PPACA is and is not. I think that is they reason why they continue to still say "Obamacare".
Are you seriously not embarrassed yet? Even your hero's own website calls it Obamacare (big surprise).

Health Care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 05:24 PM

423 posts, read 414,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How's the internet connection in the little wood shake you built for yourself far away from anything that could force you to rely on the government?
No wood "shake's" (shacks) here in San Francisco proper. What's your shack look like?

I am for smaller government. Are you so useless that you need more of them in YOUR life? How many times do they have to fail at something until you want to run the other way?

Last edited by Red_Diamond; 10-23-2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
bla bla bla... will they ever stop? few things people need to know one its all about money, the =insurance folks only care about the profit margins and Drs some do care most looking at their porfolios... they do NOT care about you as a whole-- some do- some..
2 comparing from any other nation in the world- our health care has gone up 400 % in cost- hmm
3. like wise our insurance costs BEFORE Oct 1-2013 went up 700%... don't believe me. check it out-
4. they have been going up sublimely-with or with out the ACA, so, think back 5 yrs, and alot of the pre-conditions you just were on your own-
5. we may have thought we didn't pay for peoples healthcare, but we have been paying for medicaid and medicare for years in our taxes. don't be fooled. this right now is a nightmare but it will fix itself- you just not old enough to rem when these other medical programs first came into place, and
If I could do it different -iI'd pay into the county clinic or hospital like a club or membership fee for me and my family no matter what the medical need- they would have to treat it. . and just forget the insurance folks all together, they are the main reason for this massive mess.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:28 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm happy with it so far.
Some of the first parts of the ACA were implemented last year. They included no more denial of insurance for pre-existing conditions, no cutting off insurance due to catastrophic illness, no arbitrary caps, and better coverage on preventive medicine. At age 68, and having no med insurance since 2003, all those parts of the law were very important to me. I am at an age where I really needed coverage. That I was able to find the coverage I needed at a very good rate was a big bonus.

I just got health insurance for the first time in a decade last November. Because the rates went down with my company in anticipation of Obamacare, and while I very seldom have ever needed medical insurance, I got a very satisfactory rate. I didn't expect I would need the insurance soon but I did, twice, since then. One illness and one surgery. My last surgery was over 50 years ago.
My co-pays were excellent in both cases, and my drug costs became much more affordable.

I doubt my rates will be better using Obamacare, but that will be easy for me to discover, as my company is on the state exchange. All I have to do is call my agent. Since it is on the exchange, I have no concerns that my insurance will be dropped any time soon.

So for me, the big benefits of the ACA came early.

I plan to check out my state's website; I live in a state that is managing our Obamacare, not the feds, and I'm giving younger folks some time to get their insurance needs filled first. We have a lot of young uninsured living here, and I'm very satisfied for now. If I find advantages when I do enquire, I'll probably switch over to a state offered program.

And since the law is going to be around for a long time now, I may find in the future that my rates or my coverage may be better if I switch. I now have the luxury of time a lot of folks my age did not have just a few years ago. For one member of my family, it was getting insured at any price that suddenly became a necessity for her a couple of years ago, and her costs were very high. She is younger than me and will benefit more than me from Obamacare.

Our Obamacare seems to be doing well. The sign-ups have been much heavier than expected. Our state legislature was very opposed to joining, but our Governor joined us up, and it seems to have been a good thing for us.
Are you not on Medicare after age 65 ? You say you are 68 and you haven't had insurance in 10 years ? Do you have to pay in just like you do on SS ? Maybe this will be clarified further down the page.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
Anybody that actually trusts and believes the governments motives are in their own personal best interests is either displaying willful ignorance or has been so indoctrinated that they have been completely blinded from the truth.
It is the nature of every government to become more tyrannical over time. History is rife with evidence of such.
With ever new bureaucracy, law, rule, regulation and tax our freedoms are diminished and the power of the government grows.

Obamacare is nothing more than a power grab designed to put the people further under the heal of government control.

Its a shame that some believe in the theft of human life. For that is what it is when the government steals the fruits ones labor to use for its own purposes under the guise of the greater good.
Excellent post.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm 69. You're right- I could have signed up at 65, but I enjoy good health and I very seldom get sick. When I was 65, I was still recovering from a particularly bad financial period, so I just took my chances until my finances stabilized.

As you said, I can't enroll, but I did enjoy receiving all those early benefits Obamacare put into place first. Capping costs was a very good thing for me, and who knows what may be lurking in there somewhere? Knowing I couldn't be denied coverage wasn't a big deal when I got my insurance, but it could have been.

If my insurance ever changes, who knows? By then, Obamacare may be tuned up and changed. Now that it's in place, I'm sure things will become more optimized by all parties concerned. It may be a possibility that one insurance company might find economic advantage in serving only Medicare qualified folks.

I also qualify for VA health plans, and I intend to register with them, too. Believe me, there's a lot of physical changes that can happen fast at my age. My knees weren't stiff at 65, buth they sure are 4 years later!
Bango, I am having a little trouble understanding your logic. Medicare wasn't going to cost you that much, only the part B or you could have taken out an Advantage Plan at no cost to you. I will leave it alone. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Oh the horrors of it all. The ACA only saved this man $15,000.
President Obama Singles Out Leetsdale Man During Healthcare Speech Ā« CBS Pittsburgh
It didn't save ANYTHING. It made other people pay it for him.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Are you seriously not embarrassed yet? Even your hero's own website calls it Obamacare (big surprise).

Health Care
I don't understand this sudden shame. Since he took office everything is Obama this, Obama that, now they take offense when people refer to Obama's great healthcare law - the Affordable Care Act - as Obamacare. Where's the pride? They love everything about Obama, why no love for tagging something that will be hysterical - I mean historical as this will be one for the history pages and Obama's legacy.

Call it Affordable Care Act - ACA - Obamacare. It doesn't matter because everyone will remember who created it.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
No wood "shake's" (shacks) here in San Francisco proper. What's your shack look like?

I am for smaller government. Are you so useless that you need more of them in YOUR life? How many times do they have to fail at something until you want to run the other way?
Ah yes, I meant to type shack not shake.

I bet you think there has been nothing good that has come from the government. What type of smaller government are you for? I am for an efficient government that runs properly, the size of it is no concern of mine.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I bet you think there has been nothing good that has come from the government. What type of smaller government are you for? I am for an efficient government that runs properly, the size of it is no concern of mine.
So you don't care how expensive the government is and if you can afford it? How do you measure its efficiency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies