Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Of course you didn't read that anywhere in any of these posts. Not one person has excused the thief.

The gun owner SHARES responsibility because the "safe and secure storage" law that was created for a reason was not obeyed by the irresponsible firearm owner. She should not skate responsibility due to a thief stealing her weapon.

Here's a question for you: suppose there was a small fire in her garage and respondant fire brigade noted the AR-15 leaning against the outside of the gun locker and simply mentioned it to one of the cops also responding? Charge or no charge?

Neighbours happy with a cop that would let that slide after it's brought to his attention or would you as a neighbour insist the nut living beside you with a selection of firearms, at the very least store the freak'n things in a safe and secure manner AND be forced to face the responsiblility if she doesn't? Eh?

The flip side of your surmisal: What I'm reading from your posts is you think it's quite all right for a firearm owner to NOT have to obey the laws.
Have you checked NC law to determine of any law was broken? Of course not. Much easier to just shoot from the lip.

Well I have and from what I could find, safe storage laws apply to households in which children reside.

Now the Congresswoman and her husband do have a son and he did go shooting with them that day. His name is Ben.

So let's see if you can follow this.

The AR-15 belongs to Ben. Ben is 18. Ergo, Ben is a legal adult. Therefore no law was broken except by the thief.

Police chief says gun belonging to Ellmers' son was unsecured - UPI.com

I'm sure that's a huge disappointment to you.

Now don't you feel foolish?

Last edited by Ghostly1; 10-23-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,253 times
Yup...seems some folks here went off half-cocked.

AR-15 stolen from home of N.C. Rep. Renee Ellmers

Oct. 23, 2013 | 10:26 AM

DUNN, N.C., Oct. 23 (UPI) -- A North Carolina congresswoman's husband reported the theft of an assault rifle left unsecured in the family's garage in the community of Dunn, police said. Brent Ellmers, husband of Rep. Renee Ellmers, a Republican representing the state's second district, called police Tuesday to report the theft of an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle that had been left out on a counter in the garage -- next to a gun safe.
The gun belonged to Ben Ellmers, the congresswoman's 18-year-old son, police said.
Dunn Police Chief Jimmy Pope told WRAL-TV, Raleigh, N.C., the fact the gun was left unsecured was likely an honest mistake.
"I think they'd been out shooting and it was just one of those things," Pope said. "They probably laid it down and planned to come back and put it away and just forgot about it."
The thief also took a gun lock and a GPS unit from the garage.
Asked why the weapon was left unsecured, Thomas Dohney, Ellmers' spokesman, said, "The congresswoman would very much like to know the answer to that question, too."

Read more: Police chief says gun belonging to Ellmers' son was unsecured - UPI.com

Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 PM

half·cocked (hfkkt, häf-)adj.1. Informal Inadequately or poorly prepared: a halfcocked plan to buy out the company.
2. Being at the position of half-****. Used of a firearm.

adv. Informal In an inadequate or poorly prepared manner: went off halfcocked and bought all the wrong items.

Blaming the victim of a crime

Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Have you checked NC law to determine of any law was broken? Of course not. Much easier to just shoot from the lip.

Well I have and from what I could find, safe storage laws apply to households in which children reside.

Now the Congresswoman and her husband do have a son and he did go shooting with them that day. His name is Ben.

So let's see if you can follow this.

The AR-15 belongs to Ben. Ben is 18. Ergo, Ben is a legal adult. Therefore no law was broken except by the thief.

Police chief says gun belonging to Ellmers' son was unsecured - UPI.com

I'm sure that's a huge disappointment to you.

Now don't you feel foolish?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 PM

Jeez Gostly1 .....you sure know how to kill a thread.....

Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Why is it you guys start in on the design of the weapon as though we're impressed with your knowledge base and ownership stats. Who gives a rat's patoot? Did I even use the term assault weapon; no, but that didn't stop you going off on that stupid tirade, using the term no less than 3 times, did it?

An AR-15 is a far more dangerous weapon than a Colt Woodsman .22 on any scale you choose to use and a firearm you need not get up close and personal to do damage with and that is a freak'n fact!

Any sliding scale of ballistic capability would put it above MOST handguns popularly owned for it's stand off and do damage ability. You gonna be able to stand at the end of a very long school hallway and actually hit what you're aiming at way down there at the other end with your Colt Defender .45ACP or are you going to spray and pray?

Choice of access to any weapon I can stand off and use distance as an advantage will have me picking an AR-15 or most semi-auto rifles over MOST available semi-auto handguns. Simple.

I stated "another weapon among the many out there in the hands of felons and an AR-15 at that". Where's the screed you refer to?

Equating hammers and steak knives to an AR-15! Get real here; and you have no idea my political affiliation so you can screw that one up even moreso.
The screed is in the outrage and the affiliation seems clear due to your "hope" that the Republican Representative may eventually be charged and sued. It's not even her gun, is it?

The equating should be clear to anyone with critical thinking skills.

AR-15s are commonly referred to as "assault weapons" by the press and liberals. Pardon me for making the leap but who's trying to impress who regarding calibers and fire power? Deflection, anyone?

In any event, you and others made much ado about nothing regarding the Congresswoman in the final analysis. One has to wonder why, or not!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Jeez Gostly1 .....you sure know how to kill a thread.....
Well, as they say, or used to, in Texas, "Yur honor, he needed killin!"

Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Yeah! Maybe an un-burglar snuck in earlier and left it there for her!

It seems to me you guys disagree with the esteemed Congresswoman, and that gun owners shouldn't be responsible for their guns after all.

But I'll play. Surely it belonged to either her or someone she knew, and presumably she knew where it was, and yet whoever was responsible for the gun didn't suggest putting it in the safe, and presumably she didn't ask. Despite her position on gun safety.

Oh, the irony.

It's the same sort of irony that is the irony of vehement homophobic Republican politicians getting caught in airport bathrooms with particularly wide stances. It's funnier than when it just happens to some Joe Blow (so to speak).

The attempts to make the esteemed Congresswoman not look irresponsible are pretty funny too.
You just got completely owned. Crawl away now.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:30 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
If it was an AR-15 and the GOP was involved, the media would, of course, be compelled like a heroin addict after a stash of smack to make big headlines out of this.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
So if a criminal breaks in a home and steals the gun safe, and all and later in his home opens the safe and uses the gun the original owner is still responsible ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies