Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 11:48 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,253 times

Advertisements

Or how about this.....

Burglary (also called breaking and entering[1] and sometimes housebreaking)[2] is a crime, the essence of which is illegal entry into a building for the purposes of committing an offence. Usually that offence will be theft, but most jurisdictions specify others which fall within the ambit of burglary. To engage in the act of burglary is to burgle (in British English) or to burglarize (in American English).[3]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Or this......

thief [θiːf]n pl thieves [θiːvz]1. a person who steals something from another
2. (Law) Criminal law a person who commits theft

Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not familiar with NC regulations regarding
firearm storage, but I didn't say it HAS TO be locked away, but it is better if
it is. Kids find firearms lying around the house and accidents happen, so it is
good to understand the proper way to store a firearm
The "proper" way to store a firearm, [depending on state and local law] is any way you wish, provided the law doesn't dictate a specific standard. If I want to keep a loaded gun laying on my kitchen table, that's good enough, and it is secure. It is inside my home. No one has the right to break in to my home and take it.

Quote:
. Purchasing a gun safe proves she understands the proper and safe way to store
a firearm. You obviously do not know anything about it, since you argue a
garage counter is a good, safe and secure place.
Sorry, but you fail, because I have a gun safe. That is the way in which I "choose" to store my firearms. Before that, I used to store them by standing them up in the corner of my bedroom, which is a perfectly acceptable method of storage as well.

Quote:
What stupid argument? If you think a counter in an unlocked garage is a good
and secure place to store a firearm, then that's cool, I wont' call you stupid,
you're just someone who probably should not own a gun before talking a firearm
safety course. The Congresswoman has a gun safe, so she is far better informed
than you.
Once again, ya fail. I have a gun safe. I like the idea of having a safe. I'd recommend anyone who has a gun to get a gun safe to keep their guns out of the hands of criminals/kids. However, I wouldn't label a gun owner who does not have a safe as an irresponsible gun owner.

Quote:
She, or he son, just committed a mental slip by forgetting to put it in
the safe. Like I said, honest mistake. She had her AR stolen. What a
bummer.

QUESTION:

In your opinion, had the Congresswoman NOT had a gun safe and her usual method of storage was on the counter in her unlocked garage, would you say she should have been charged with negligence or some other type of crime?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Are you really that dense? If you leave an valuable object in plain sight and it gets stolen, it is partially your fault whether you like it or not. If it is locked up out of sight and still gets stolen, then you took all precautions. It is not your fault at all. I have never had anything stolen from me since I was a kid, why because I always lock my doors in both my house and car and never leave anything valuable in sight. Common sense people. I guess common sense and personal responsibility in Republicans are lacking these days.
Lacking? Democrats don't have any common sense or personal responsibility. Period!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM

And this......

steal

verb
verb: steal; 3rd person present: steals; past tense: stole; gerund or present participle: stealing; past participle: stolen
take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
QUESTION:In your opinion, had the Congresswoman NOT had a gun safe and her usual method of storage was on the counter in her unlocked garage, would you say she should have been charged with negligence or some other type of crime?
No, I specifically said she doesn't HAVE TO put them in the safe, but it would be better if she did. I did not say there are any legal requirement in NC, I specifically said I am not familiar with NC law. Next time, when you read, read with comprehension. All your arguments reveal you failed to understand my post.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:51 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Or how about this.....

Burglary (also called breaking and entering[1] and sometimes housebreaking)[2] is a crime, the essence of which is illegal entry into a building for the purposes of committing an offence. Usually that offence will be theft, but most jurisdictions specify others which fall within the ambit of burglary. To engage in the act of burglary is to burgle (in British English) or to burglarize (in American English).[3]
Do explain to me why the Congresswoman, or you, for that matter, expect criminals to obey these laws, making it unnecessary to lock doors or secure valuables? Here on C-D we've all been schooled by you gun nuts that criminals never obey laws.

I keep asking this simple question, and no one seems to want to tackle it. Can't imagine why that is.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Do explain to me why the Congresswoman, or you, for that matter, expect criminals to obey these laws, making it unnecessary to lock doors or secure valuables? Here on C-D we've all been schooled by you gun nuts that criminals never obey laws.
Yup that's why they are called criminals.

Never said I expect criminals not to break laws...trying to point out that crime victims should not be blamed for the action of the criminal.

If you are hit by a drunk driver is it's your fault for driving on the same road?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Yup that's why they are called criminals.

Never said I expect criminals not to break laws...trying to point out that crime victims should not be blamed for the action of the criminal.

If you are hit by a drunk driver is it's your fault for driving on the same road?
You keep going on about that as if it were pertinent.

The point is, if you don't trust criminals to stay out of your home, and you claim to be a responsible gun owner, why on Earth would you leave weapons lying around unsecured?

Like I said, it sure makes it hard to take you gun folks seriously when you drop your own talking points like hotcakes just to defend some idiot GOP Congresswoman who has proven that she is not, in fact, a responsible gun owner like the rest of you claim you all are.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

I keep asking this simple question, and no one seems to want to tackle it. Can't imagine why that is.
And the question I would ask is why is it the victims fault the crime was committed.

Several here keep blaming the congresswoman for the criminal's behavior. What part of this don't some of you get? She did not commit any crimes.

Congresswoman = crime victim

Thief = criminal

thief [θiːf]n pl thieves [θiːvz]1. a person who steals something from another
2. (Law) Criminal law a person who commits theft

steal
verb
verb: steal; 3rd person present: steals; past tense: stole; gerund or present participle: stealing; past participle: stolen
take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies