Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Most of us were not aware of the facts. This happens too often when we rely on blurbs in the media and don't research the facts. And politicians using the misfortune of this woman to promote their own agenda is disgusting.

Ever Hear About The Lady Who Spilled Coffee On Herself At McDonald's, Then Sued For Millions?
This is not new information. This is a very well known and thoroughly studied case both in tort classes for law and paralegal students. The woman in question was guilty only of opening the top of the cup of hot coffee. The records speak for themselves and are open so anyone may read them. McDonald's spun the story to suit it's own purpose and the gullible public bought it.

The records which anyone can read speak for themselves but there are still those who ignorantly quote hearsay and factoids or listen to the media pundits who blame the victim. It is a prime example of how stupid many people are in their quickness and willingness to believe everything fed to them in the fastest methods possible and then spit out what they hear as truths rather than search out the facts for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 01:49 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,351 times
I frequently stop at McDonalds for coffee.

First thing I do ( before even tasting ) is put ice cubes in.

I feel sorry for those who don't realize how hot their coffee is.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:02 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I frequently stop at McDonalds for coffee.

First thing I do ( before even tasting ) is put ice cubes in.

I feel sorry for those who don't realize how hot their coffee is.
That is exactly the problem...the coffee should not be that hot.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Most of us were not aware of the facts. This happens too often when we rely on blurbs in the media and don't research the facts. And politicians using the misfortune of this woman to promote their own agenda is disgusting.

Ever Hear About The Lady Who Spilled Coffee On Herself At McDonald's, Then Sued For Millions?
I'm glad she got the punitive damages award. McDonald's was repeatedly told to lower the temp and ignored those warnings. Her injuries were horrendous.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,219 times
I LOATHE Upworthy and all their stupid clickbait links.

That's an interesting video, though. I had no idea how serious the injury was. It doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of people out there who really do take advantage out the justice system. A good friend of mine dated someone whose mother made a habit of slipping and getting hit by fallen items in stores so that she could sue for damages.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Many people buy coffee to take on to work or what ever. Why should it not be hot enough to last through a trip and be warm for those getting it?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
IIRC this incident occurred before coffe cup covers had a pullaway tab creating a small opening for limited pouring. Before one had to physically remove the entire cover to drink. This was dangerous as a large amount of the liquid would spill if there was unintended movement.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:42 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
If they put three creams in it, like I like, it is just warm.

Several years ago, we stopped for coffee at McD's. As we drove out of the lot, into traffic, I rested the coffee between my legs, just above the knee's, to do something. DH had to put on brakes for a car stopping ahead, I squeezed my legs together, the coffee came open and splashed up on my thighs. I thought I would die. I was on fire. It left a big blister the size of a saucer on either thigh. I couldn't wear pants for weeks. Eventually, it healed. The thought never entered my mind to sue McD's. I thought to myself, I was a stupid idiot to put the coffee where I did and I reaped the results. You betcha I never did it again. We still stop almost every morning, on the way to work, for coffee at McD's some 10-15 years later.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:29 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
If they put three creams in it, like I like, it is just warm.

Several years ago, we stopped for coffee at McD's. As we drove out of the lot, into traffic, I rested the coffee between my legs, just above the knee's, to do something. DH had to put on brakes for a car stopping ahead, I squeezed my legs together, the coffee came open and splashed up on my thighs. I thought I would die. I was on fire. It left a big blister the size of a saucer on either thigh. I couldn't wear pants for weeks. Eventually, it healed. The thought never entered my mind to sue McD's. I thought to myself, I was a stupid idiot to put the coffee where I did and I reaped the results. You betcha I never did it again. We still stop almost every morning, on the way to work, for coffee at McD's some 10-15 years later.
That's the way most honest folks are geared. I've had so many instances where I had a good law suit on my hands but my parents just didn't bring me up that way. I dust myself off and go on my merry way.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:54 PM

74 posts, read 147,822 times
I just was going to log off and saw this topic on the sidebar, and all I have to say is that the documentary (on Netflix) "Hot Coffee" really reminded me that I knew very little about the tort reform the film deals with. It's not a preachy documentary; at least I didn't find it to be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies