Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:04 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

JACKSON, Miss. — It's an unremarkable plot of land, nestled between the state's archives, fairgrounds and Capitol building, but history will be made there Thursday when state officials and civil rights leaders gather to break ground for the country's first state-funded civil rights museum.

It is being built in conjunction with a new state history museum erected on the same site, and both are scheduled to open in 2017, in time for the state’s bicentennial. The museums will be built “side by side,” as the locals say, and will be connected by a common entryway, sharing classroom space, an auditorium and resources.

About.com: http://current.com/supernews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:57 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Yay for Mississippi!

Sincerely.

There are those who thot that the South was where true civil rights gains were to be made. My own personal experience in Tupelo indicated as much.

Congrats to Mississippi for leading the way.

Where are Wash DC, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Washington State, Oregon, and even liberal left California? To name a few.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
JACKSON, Miss. — It's an unremarkable plot of land, nestled between the state's archives, fairgrounds and Capitol building, but history will be made there Thursday when state officials and civil rights leaders gather to break ground for the country's first state-funded civil rights museum.
It's a remarkable achievement for the state. Frankly I'm shocked and surprised and delighted, all at the same time. It's not what I would have expected.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
It's nice and all, but honestly, I would rather the state of Mississippi support a pre-kindergarten system than build a museum and invest in its youth.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:44 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Yay for Mississippi!

Sincerely.

There are those who thot that the South was where true civil rights gains were to be made. My own personal experience in Tupelo indicated as much.

Congrats to Mississippi for leading the way.

Where are Wash DC, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Washington State, Oregon, and even liberal left California? To name a few.
Lets be clear, no civil rights museum in Mississippi would ever be constructed unless progressives fought for civil rights in Mississippi in the first place. Secondly, I feel sure in saying the museum itself would have not been built if not advocated and moved forward by progressives in Mississippi.

Lets not try to re-write history as to the State of Mississippi's past role in civil rights.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Mississippi is moving quickly now. Just last year they ratified the 13th amendment, and now a civil rights museum.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,185 times
But wait, I thought the South was racist still?

Good for Mississipi. This is very appreciated. But watch how many liberals on here will say that they deserve the credit because they're "progressive" even though modern liberalism is not even the same thing as it was back then.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:17 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
You are right. They already said that in post#5 above you. We all knew that would be the case.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
But wait, I thought the South was racist still?

Good for Mississipi. This is very appreciated. But watch how many liberals on here will say that they deserve the credit because they're "progressive" even though modern liberalism is not even the same thing as it was back then.
What are you rambling on about? This post makes no sense.

As for the OP, good for Mississippi for creating a museum to document a major piece of their history.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:50 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What are you rambling on about? This post makes no sense.

As for the OP, good for Mississippi for creating a museum to document a major piece of their history.

He/ she makes perfectly good sense. What was described has already occurred in post 5. I see no rambling, just plain truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies